Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. H-H

    Hi guys and girls! Just coming up with some examples ready for the assessment centre and just looking at the Working with Others competency. I've got my standard taking one for the team example ready from back when the competency was team working, but they seem a lot more fluid than they used to be! On the below points; · Listens carefully and asks questions to clarify understanding, expressing own views positively and constructively. · Persuades people by stressing the benefits of a particular approach, keeps them informed of progress and manages their expectations. · Is courteous, polite and considerate, sho…

    • 2 replies
    • 2.4k views
  2. qwertyK

    Hi there, Would be my dream job to be in the police. I know there is a Bleep Test with a 5:4 required level for passing. I know I should easily be able to pass this. I often go on a 2 mile run every weekend. I have done this in a record time as of writing this in 14 minuets. The furthest I have run is 5.5K in 32 minuets. What I want to know is is what matters most when it comes to fitness levels in the police - especially as I want to go onto being qualified as an ARV officer. What is more important - endurance or speed? If anyone else could share their experiences or talk about their fitness regime that would help. Thank you, Alex

    • 2 replies
    • 568 views
    Traffic Rat +
  3. Toms

    They say that success comes from preparation so was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any maths questions (such as revision websites etc) that could help in the assessment centre. Someone I know has theirs soon and, by their own admission, is crap at maths. Was thinking some of the GCSE websites may work but they are not multiple choice (I have all the revision questions (3 questions) that have been given by the College Of Policing and when I gave them an email for any more I got a polite go away, not in my mind how they should be treating their members). Not willing to pay one of these companies as not sure if they are actually worth it. On a s…

  4. Adrian2017
    Started by Adrian2017 * ,

    Good evening,I am currently serving in the Royal Marines and am looking at avenues outside of the forces. I am interested in joining the police have read a few things and would like some clarification from anyone on here who would have some advice for me on this situation.I am awaiting Patella (knee cap) stabilisation surgery (MPFL) due to injuring it on mountain training. After reading the medical standards for police recruitment from the governments website it isn't very clear on weather it would bar me from entry.It states that a dislocation of a major joint more than once " is unlikely to be suitable - rarely, if excellent surgical result from stabilisation, further i…

    gremindahouse
  5. H-H
    Started by H-H,

    Hi guys I'm sure there will be another thread for this somewhere but looking at prep for my assessment centre. I passed SEARCH 2 years ago without any help bar internet research and racking my brains for examples, although looking back at my feedback I was on a lot of B & C grades. Does anyone have any advice on how to bump up those grades? Cheers! Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

    • 0 replies
    • 470 views
  6. Sunissa87
    Started by Sunissa87,

    Hey! Anyone here applied for West Mercia as a Student Officer in Dec 2014? Or applied as a transferee on the latest recruitment drive? My partner and I are awaiting start dates for both positions so curious as to whether anyone is in the same boat?

  7. junior_7178
    Started by junior_7178,

    I made contact with GMP HR by phone a few weeks ago requesting an application form for PC recruitment that is due to start soon afaik. I am aware they are not recruiting just yet but a GMP regular on here told me not to bother keep checking the website but to just ring up and ask them to send a form. As expected they told me on the phone that they couldn't send me an application form yet but would send me an Expression of Interest form by email and that i should fill it in and email it back. I did this, but then received a letter in the post dated the next day saying "that they had tried to contact me by telephone & email without success and they needed some more…

    • 4 replies
    • 595 views
    gremindahouse
  8. scary100
    Started by scary100 +,

    Hi all, Can anyone working for the force (PC/and police staff) feedback on the pros/cons of the following shift patterns? 27/4 - 2E-2L-2N-4Rest days )foxed start and finish times) 3/3/3 - 3E-3L-3Rest days (with variable start and finish times) Ho has either of the patterns affected you personally? Any feedback would be most welcome :-)

  9. James Murphy
    Started by James Murphy,

    Hi All, I Have passed my final interview, fitness test however failed my medical. I passed eye test, hearing etc however i've failed on BMI. I do agree i am a bit overweight and am in the process of losing it. However i have been deferred for 6 months told i need to lose 2 stone. I am definitely going to try however i feel like its going to be a challenge, I am a large build - 6ft 3. I just feel hard done by i know they have restrictions however My going to the gym and dieting isnt going to result in my losing 2 stone i doubt, So my question is can i appeal? Especially because the force i am applying for when i applied said they didnt have any BMI restrict…

  10. junior_7178
    Started by junior_7178,

    I'm interested how peoples thoughts of joining the regulars 'straight off the street'. Have you done so? Do you think you'd have found the recruitment selection and assessment process easier if you'd had prior experience in a police environment? Do you think you would find your role as a Police officer easier if you'd had prior experience in a police environment? Do you think having prior experience as a Special or PCSO gives people an advantage over 'straight off the street' applicants during the recruitment phase? Do you think new PC's who have been PCSO's or Specials go on to become better officers than those who haven't? I'm inte…

  11. Ahrena
    Started by Ahrena * ,

    I failed my medical for Essex police today due to the fact I was on antidepressants for a while when my mum died suddenly two years ago. I emailed and asked before I applied and they said they judge it on a case by case basis. However today as soon as the nurse saw this on my medical history form I was dismissed. I'm gutted to have come this far then failed instantly especially after I asked to begin with so I'm attempting to appeal. The whole situation seems ridiculous to me; I know 3 police officers and 2 of them are on antidepressants. Furthermore I challenge anyone to deal with what happened to me all within a very short period…

    Coffeebean123
  12. SnowBall
    Started by SnowBall +,

    Well after nearly a year in the recruitment process I have my "induction day" tomorrow. I like to have an idea of what I'm going to be doing usually but looking around online I can't see to find any information at all in what may be included in such a day. I expect the normal meet and greet your tutors and fellow new students but this day is planned to be from 09:00-17:00. So I'm intrigued as to what it may include!! Anyone on here any the wiser?

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 1.8k views
  13. junior_7178

    I'm after a bit of advice really and a sort of "what would/did you do?". When filling out an initial application form how do you deal with the question "Why do you wish to become a police officer?" I suspect for quite a few the honest answer would be something along the lines of "I've always wanted to join the Police. My father/Mother/Brother was a police officer. I want to catch bad people that do bad things and drive fast cars. The pay is quite good and so is the pension". I presume that is not what they want to hear. I presume they want to hear some concoction of sentances from the Core Competencies jumbled into something sounding personal yet full off b…

    gremindahouse
  14. scary100
    Started by scary100 +,

    Can anyone tell me if you get a shift allowance as a PC on top of your starting salary (as a percentage)? Or is it just the basic starting salary plus any overtime that you work?

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 3.4k views
  15. Jon825
    Started by Jon825,

    Hi all Wondering if anyone has any experience of this or might be able to help. I have recently passed my final interview and been told the next stage is fitness test and vetting, with references to be taken from my last 3 employers. I have nothing that should be an issue with references, no massive time off or anything apart from a disciplinary issue with my previous employer. Basically I was given a warning for messaging a work colleague about a work issue which I used a swear word. The work colleague took this to the manager and I was investigated. I did intend the message as a joke but fully accepted that it could have caused offence and was given a warning.…

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.