Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. martin1234

    I'm an army infantry major about to leave, thinking of joining the police, preferably the MPS. As I've had years of operational leadership and management experience, I'm really interested in a leadership role, so I'm currently considering two options- the Fast Track to Inspector scheme, and the Direct Entry Superintendent. I'm more interested in the Superintendent role as it's almost identical to my current job in terms of rank and responsibilities so I'll be able to transition more smoothly and I enjoy the responsibility. But one of the problems is that I'm used to "leading from the front", and I'm worried that I might not be able to do the "bread and butter" of polici…

  2. TriggersBroom
    Started by TriggersBroom,

    Hi, I am currently waiting on a chance to apply so not even submitted an application as of yet. If and when I do apply it will be with either Cleveland, Durham or Northumbria. I have read a few threads there and I am slighty worried about some circumstances that may cause me alot of trouble if I was to be successful. I hope you can help, it may even stop me applying and save me time while I wait to leave the Army although the Police is a career I have always wanted to do. So, myself. I had a County Court Judgment (ccj) and 4 defaults which were dated around 2009, they have now 'dropped off' my credit file and I have great/clean credit file. I am also financially stabl…

    • 1 reply
    • 771 views
  3. Policeman123
    Started by Policeman123,

    Hello, I have my final interview very soon with syp. Is there anyone who can give me tips on the questions they may ask. I've been revising my core competencies and why I want to join the police etc. I just want to know more if they have any.

  4. Justjake

    So last week I attended the AC and have to wait atleast another 16 days to find out my result. However, I felt I did so badly in all aspects I feel I would be lucky to get 30 percent. So here is my dilemma. I have found a police staff job that closes on the 10th in 4 days and I would really like to apply but I don't know if I should or could due to my application still live for police officer. Obviously I would rather be an officer I just don't think I will have achieved 50 percent sadly. Should I ring up HR and ask if I can apply for the police staff job as well as keep my officer application until I receive my result?

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 1.4k views
  5. Matt180
    Started by Matt180,

    Evening all. First post so please excuse me if its within the wrong section. As stated within the topic, i'm currently a serving member within HM Forces but have always wanted to join the police and they are currently recruiting within my area. Now this is where my problem lies, as those of you who may know, i'm required to give a 12 months notice of discharge to leave the Army and as such, would leave me unable to apply this year. Now this is where it gets tricky, according to my local police website they will be recruiting officers in 2016, 2017 and 2018. I've contacted the relevant recruitment team and simply asked them will they be releasing applicati…

      • Like
    • 18 replies
    • 1.2k views
    screaminghat *
  6. LeSquirrel
    Started by LeSquirrel,

    Hi all, I am due to attend the assessment centre next month, just to give some idea of where I am in the process (early!) Would it be looked upon badly if I was to leave my current job and find alternative work whilst I am already in the application process? I would of course inform the business services team of any changes, and if required I would explain the situation. It's nothing bad, I just find myself in a position where I may be working elsewhere sometime in the next couple of months. Thanks

  7. martyj
    Started by martyj,

    Hello, has anyone applied to Merseyside Police in the latest recruitment drive that took place in March?

  8. Matty1012
    Started by Matty1012,

    Hi All, So after applying for Essex Police back in 2014 but failing the final interview I am going to nail it this time with Norfolk. I am currently slightly confused about the competencies. I just want to know which ones I should be tailoring my preparation towards. I have been given 2 sets of different competencies by Norfolk Police. Set 1 - from the National Police College. Professionalism, Decision making, service delivery etc Set 2 (dated 2010)- community and customer focus, personal responsibility, problem solving and resilience. I have called the recruitment department and they are saying they need to look into it. I just want to get preparing ASAP. Any opi…

    • 1 reply
    • 232 views
  9. Chief Rat
    Started by Chief Rat,

    The current eyesight standards are: Unaided vision (without spectacles or lenses) 6/36 or better in either eye (2nd line down on optician’s chart) is required. Binocular vision (vision with both eyes) worse than 6/6 (7th line on optician's chart) requires correction. Aided vision (wearing lenses or spectacles) 6/12 or better in either eye (5th line down on optician’s chart) and 6/6 or better using both eyes (binocular vision) is required. Near vision N6 at 40 cm with both eyes together (aided). Colour vision Severe colour vision deficiencies (monochromats) are not acceptable. Anomalous trichromats are acceptable. Severe anomolous trichromats or dichromats are …

      • Like
    • 68 replies
    • 72.9k views
    Policey_Man +
  10. andyturbo
    Started by andyturbo,

    Hi Has anyone any experience of transferring to Scotland from a UK force? Thanks Andy

    • 5 replies
    • 556 views
  11. ryeax23
    Started by ryeax23 * ,

    First of all, apologies if this question has been asked a hundred times before- but I can’t seem to find anything in the search function. As the title suggest, I am currently serving in the Army, having served just over 12 years. I am quite content with my career so far, but I do have the itch to try something different, and becoming a Police Officer has always been an ambition. The question I have is; is it possible to start an application whilst still serving or does it differ from force to force? I have heard/read conflicting thoughts regarding this, I can’t find anything on the site of the force I would like to work for (Essex if that helps). Thanks for readi…

      • Like
    • 4 replies
    • 400 views
  12. Egg
    Started by Egg,

    Has anyone had any experience with this scheme? It's the graduate scheme. From what I can tell you go to "police academy" (haha) in London for the summer months (about 6 weeks) for intensive training before moving over to a neighbourhood team for two years, working as a team leader with the support of a mentor. The website doesn't offer a great deal of information...

  13. EdinburghCal
    Started by EdinburghCal,

    Hey guys, Lots of bits and bobs on this around the forum but nothing quite as clear as I'm looking for. I've got my SET and fitness soon so I've been reading up quite a lot recently in preparation for the next stages provided I pass both elements. The basic starting salary is 23,493. I know the Pension is 13.46% so I've fired it through listentotaxman.com and got the following: Earn £23,493 in 2015/2016 and you'll take home £16,533. This means £1,378 in your pocket a month. Over the year you'll pay £1,946 income tax and £1,852 in National Insurance. You'd get £317/month in your pension fund. How much of an effect does unsociable hours and overtime payments have on…

  14. OscarMike
    Started by OscarMike,

    Hi all. Finally just submitted my application to cheshire police, the cut off date is September 14th then the 8th & 9th of November are the SEARCH assessment dates. Any idea on how long the process usually takes of finding out if I've progressed to this stage? Thanks! AAAGGGHHH EXCITEMENT

    • 2 replies
    • 617 views
  15. AHussain
    Started by AHussain +,

    Hi there please do not laugh when I tell you this. I went in for my 3 exams written,Numeracy,Information handling. I failed all 3 nearly passed the maths, I was really gutted but I am now even more motivated to pass. I know my flaws I put to much attention on the numeracy aspect and not enough on the other 2. iv been told I will get a resit. I was told they would sent a letter out or email with the details on the resit. Anyone else fail probably not only me lol. I look at this in a positive way I can improve my running and can improve my skills in the required areas. sorry for the sob story I was not sure which place to post this.

      • Like
    • 7 replies
    • 1.1k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.