Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Police Community

Current eyesight requirements for police recruits

Police Community

The current eyesight standards are:

Unaided vision (without spectacles or lenses)

6/36 or better in either eye (2nd line down on optician’s chart) is required. Binocular vision (vision with both eyes) worse than 6/6 (7th line on optician's chart) requires correction.

Aided vision (wearing lenses or spectacles)

6/12 or better in either eye (5th line down on optician’s chart) and 6/6 or better using both eyes (binocular vision) is required.

Near vision

N6 at 40 cm with both eyes together (aided).

Colour vision

Severe colour vision deficiencies (monochromats) are not acceptable. Anomalous trichromats are acceptable. Severe anomolous trichromats or dichromats are aceptable but you will need to be aware of the deficiency and make appropriate adjustments. The use of colour correcting lenses is not acceptable.

Corrective eye treatment

Forces will:

• Reject applicants who have undergone Radial Keratotomy (RK), Arcuate Keratotomy or corneal grafts due to the side effects of these treatments.
  • Accept applications from people who have undergone Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK), LASIK or LASEK surgery provided that six weeks have elapsed since surgery, there are no residual side effects and the other eyesight standards are met.

Conditions

Forces will:

• Reject applicants with a history of a detached retina or glaucoma.

All applicants will have their eyesight tested at the medical assessment stage. Failure to pass this test will lead to rejection. You can download a pdf version of the Eyesight Standards here.

guy incognito1546080874
Colour vision

Severe colour vision deficiencies (monochromats) are not acceptable. Anomalous trichromats are acceptable. Severe anomolous trichromats or dichromats are aceptable but you will need to be aware of the deficiency and make appropriate adjustments. The use of colour correcting lenses is not acceptable.

Does anyone know what is meant by "appropriate adjustments" regarding colour vision?

My application to a Scottish force is currently on hold while they consider the fact that I have a colour vision deficiency.

Are police forces exempt from the Disability Discrimination Act in relation to eyesight?

Thanks for any help. Great website BTW.

uniform999
Does anyone know what is meant by "appropriate adjustments" regarding colour vision?

My application to a Scottish force is currently on hold while they consider the fact that I have a colour vision deficiency.

Are police forces exempt from the Disability Discrimination Act in relation to eyesight?

Thanks for any help. Great website BTW.

571204[/snapback]

Unfortunately if you can correct your vision with contacts or glasses then you are not cvered under the DDA, only if your vision cannot be fully corrected. So, in effect they can reject you even if your corrected vision is perfect. Doesn't make any sense to me. Have just got this info from the DRC. :whistle: :lol:

Young_wanna_be_cop

So, in thoery I can get into the police if I'm blind? So still hope if my laser surgery goes wrong then :whistle:

• Like 1

Delta_Charlie

Regs have changed my friends 6/36 Binocularlly now. i know as i had to contest this recently.

sarjbunny

:lol:

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes!

Am a little confused about the eyesight requirements as I have read various examples, such as 6/36 in EITHER eye.... 6/36 in EACH eye.... 6/36 binocularly.... and I was just wondering if it does actually vary from force to force or if there is a definitive answer!??

The reason I ask is because I have always wanted to apply, but one of my eyes is not so good (I don't think it's worse than 6/60 as I can read the top letter on the snellons board, but I don't know if it would pass the 6/36!) - the other one is 6/6, so my binocular vision is fine!

So, if it is 'either eye', or 'binocularly', then am I OK? Prob not if 'each eye'?

Also, my 'defect' cannot be corrected, so I'm not sure where I stand?

I hope someone can give me a clue, I'd love to finally get the chance.....!

:whistle:

sarjbunny

:lol:

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes!

Am a little confused about the eyesight requirements as I have read various examples, such as 6/36 in EITHER eye.... 6/36 in EACH eye.... 6/36 binocularly.... and I was just wondering if it does actually vary from force to force or if there is a definitive answer!??

The reason I ask is because I have always wanted to apply, but one of my eyes is not so good (I don't think it's worse than 6/60 as I can read the top letter on the snellons board, but I don't know if it would pass the 6/36!) - the other one is 6/6, so my binocular vision is fine!

So, if it is 'either eye', or 'binocularly', then am I OK? Prob not if 'each eye'?

Also, my 'defect' cannot be corrected, so I'm not sure where I stand?

I hope someone can give me a clue, I'd love to finally get the chance.....!

:whistle:

MaW

Your best bet for a precise answer as to what the requirements are is to contact your local force's recruitment department (or that of the force that you wish to apply to) and ask them. If they can't tell you, well, I doubt anybody can!

MaW

Your best bet for a precise answer as to what the requirements are is to contact your local force's recruitment department (or that of the force that you wish to apply to) and ask them. If they can't tell you, well, I doubt anybody can!

Delta_Charlie

Mate read my Diary.

AFAIK its 6/36 BINOCULAR

i know exactly what you mean the regulations on eyesighter are a joke. old outdated contradictory ect.

read my diary youll see how i went!

Delta_Charlie

Mate read my Diary.

AFAIK its 6/36 BINOCULAR

i know exactly what you mean the regulations on eyesighter are a joke. old outdated contradictory ect.

read my diary youll see how i went!

Dan_05

This was the one part of the medical I was worried about... however I was pleasantly surprised what 6/6 was... I thought it was a lot smaller than it was. I was told by the Doctor, with my current sight, I meet response driving standards, however may require glasses if I decide to go to advanced level in the future.

Random~name

I just recently had an opticians checkup and on my sheet it says 25/25 vision....

1. Is that normal?

2. Is it acceptable for Regular recruitment?

nicolan

i'm worried about the eyesight check!!

I'm shortsighted and without my glasses or contacts i doubt very much i'll be able to read anything on the board!! however with my contacts and glasses i can read to the bottom line!!!

does this make any difference if you can't read without?? has anyone been in a similar position and been rejected??

nicola :whistle:

Detritus

i'm worried about the eyesight check!!

I'm shortsighted and without my glasses or contacts i doubt very much i'll be able to read anything on the board!! however with my contacts and glasses i can read to the bottom line!!!

does this make any difference if you can't read without?? has anyone been in a similar position and been rejected??

nicola :whistle:

Sadly yes, you must meet the 'unaided standard' set by the force. I got knocked back on my first application due to this as my left eye was below the unaided level required.

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  
Paid Membership Required

There are 54 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David