Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. thisisme
    Started by thisisme,

    Hi there, I am currently a Special Constable and have an interest in a career relating to crime/legal issues. Having been a Special Constable now for 7 months, I have come to the conclusion that it is not for me. I am perhaps looking for something more academic. Therefore, my question is about whether there are police staff roles within major crime teams? I know I could reach a position like this (where you would be a part of time investigating major crimes, eg murder squads/fraud squads etc) by becoming a Constable and working my way up, but this is not for me. I am looking for a role where I would be involved in using my brain in problem solving and crime investigati…

  2. gazwkd
    Started by gazwkd * ,

    Hey guys I'm just after some advice: I know jobs are tight all over and everything - seems to be the norm with most organisations etc, on the whole I know the Police Force are increasingly looking to internal recruitment. I'm keeping a job switch in mind (quite seriously at the moment). We have a major round of redundancies due for announcement in January, although I'm in the frame of mind to sign off even if these redundancies do not come my way. What I don't want to do is make a rash decision (well not yet anyhow ) To get to the point I'd like to get in touch with someone who deals with recruitment in some form or another, I understand the Police don't quite h…

  3. Anm123
    Started by Anm123,

    Hello, I have just gone through the recent Police Officer recruitment for Derbyshire, i have passed the Assesment Centre, my fitness test, medical and was just waiting for my offer of employment. I got a letter through the door this morning informing me my application has been terminated due to my vetting. I am absolutely gutted, the letter is a bit of vague but it seems to be because of 2 spent cautions i got as a juvenile, at 13 i got a caution for criminal damage (i bent a fence) and at 14 i got a cauition for theft (i stole a box of chocolates), now im not making excuses but i was kid and i was in with a bad crowd, i sorted myself out and i am now a completley differ…

  4. OTS
    Started by OTS,

    I have been Police Constable for 12 years. When I applied in 2000 I declared a conviction for theft when I was 16. I have just learned that this conviction should have been weeded 10 years after the conviction date, which in my case was 1994. This was when the then ACPO Weeding rules still applied. Clearly in my case for reasons unknown to me my conviction wasnt deleted. My view is perhaps as I was going to be Police Officer the powers that be felt they would disregard the ACPO policy in use and retain the record on PNC. Can anyone with any knowledge of vetting ect shed any light on this. Thanks

  5. ChrisTat
    Started by ChrisTat,

    Hi folks, I am currently going through the recruitment process with L&B. I'm looking for any hints and tips that can aid me in preparing for the interview stage. Any help graciously accepted.

  6. TheBreck
    Started by TheBreck,

    Having gone through both sets of recruitment processes, I think it's much more difficult to get into a Scottish force, I was just wondering what everyone out there in Internetland thought.

    • 0 replies
    • 868 views
  7. as4

    Hi, having passed my final interview and accepting a conditional offer with Strathclyde Police, personal circumstances now mean I am no longer able to take up the position. Please note, it wasn't my intention to waste anyone in the recruitment department's time, I did intend to take up appointment and was relishing the opportunity. However, family issues (long story) are forcing me to withdraw from the process. What is the best way to do this? I haven't undertaken my final fitness yet and of course I will inform recruitment, but I was just wondering if anyone had experience in how best to deal with this sort of thing? Many thanks A

  8. ragamuffin
    Started by ragamuffin,

    I was caught doing 35 in a 30 about 1 and a half years ago but did the speed awareness course and kept my clean licence. I'm wondering if being caught again since then will affect my application? I looked at the speedo the other day when I noticed a camera and I was on 31 so i'm just a bit worried now that i may of been doing more. I'd take the points and the fine if I have been caught (which I don't think i have) I just don't want it to jeopardise a career with the police. So what are the chances of 3 points on your licence affecting my application? Thanks, Ryan

  9. Turner89
    Started by Turner89,

    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what I need to know going into my initial interview? thanks

  10. beefman27
    Started by beefman27,

    just got word through that i am going for a final interview with a divisional commander for role of pc within lancs next week. I am currently a pcso and this is a quick internal recruitment before last years assessment centre results expire... I have been told to brush up on: *commitment to lancs police and the role of a constable (easy) *Respect for race and diversity (had some travellers in my area recently so should be able to talk about this) *Planning and organising (thought i could talk about daily briefing and planning jobs/visits etc which is a daily occurance?) *Teamworking (involved with local pubwatch so this should cover that?) *Effective communication (…

  11. legendkie
    Started by legendkie,

    Hello all. Recently did AC at tvp for Hampshire. In terms of race n diversity, one of my role plays was in relation to a customer having an ear infection, this was his reasoning behind a particular action within the center. I don't feel like I took this issue into account enough and didn't offer a solution other than I would speak to the other person involved in the incident. I take it that this would go against me but I just want to know whether the fact I Havnt taken his needs into account would constitute an immediate fail under race n diversity competency? Many thanks in advance

  12. ChelT
    Started by ChelT,

    I have my fitness test on the 19th December, do they tell you on the day if you pass and when your initial interview will be? Chel

  13. whit0122
    Started by whit0122,

    Hello, I am looking at trying to transfer to west mids from the met, I was originally with the west mids but went after the London dream 4 years ago and now feel it's time to return home!! I have emailed and phoned west mids recruitment numerous times but never get a reply or a straight answer. I know there are lots of cuts at the moment restricting numbers but is there anyone who is in the process or on a list etc etc that can shed any light on when this may become a real possibility?? Cheers

  14. Amz_1
    Started by Amz_1 * ,

    Hey, I have precious worked for a police force but had to resigned 2 weeks in after I messed up and that was my best option at the time as I could have been dismissed. Right I am now looking to apply to same force again BUT would that effect my application form now ? I was told I could reapply but what do I put in reason for leaving and would vetting find out the real reason I left If i put "due to circumstances" and then can they bin my application Amz

  15. ilovecake
    Started by ilovecake,

    Hello everyone, I'm due to start with South Yorkshire Police in a few weeks, and although I can't wait, I'm really nervous! I found the tips given here very useful with regards to getting stuck in, learning definitions before starting etc. I was just wondering if anybody had the links to a website/books that will give me the proper definitions of things like TWOC etc, so I can make sure I'm looking at the right stuff! Thanks Amy

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.