Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

England & Wales

  1. IrateShrike
    Started by IrateShrike +,

    Giraffe has given me permission to start a thread to clear up a few points from this thread, so let's not spoil this one with pointless bickering. It is now an offence to persistently possess alcohol in a public place under the age of 18 years old. 'Persistently' means three or more times in 12 months. The S32 search approach mentioned in the other thread just to obtain the alcohol so it can be disposed of is an unlawful approach fraught with danger in my opinion. If the dealing officer goes down this route, they ought to ensure that proceedings are actually brought against the individual for failing to comply with the request because otherwise it is taking someone's …

    • 6 replies
    • 3.6k views
  2. gawker11
    Started by gawker11,

    What powers do Constables have regards to public transport - namely busses? I ask as there was an issue on a tfl managed bus and the ticket inspector had some trouble getting the name and address from the male in question as he did not have a valid ticket for travel. Many Thanks in advance

    • 2 replies
    • 716 views
    Special Steve1546080998 +
  3. Tony2010
    Started by Tony2010,

    Hello. Can someone tell me if a harassment warning be retracted given two situations. 1/The person who has been issued with it can prove it was unfairly issued? 2/The person who made the complaint wishes for it to be retracted? 1/Can a person who has been issued with a harassment warning reply to a civil and formal text in the same manner to the person who made the complaint? 2/For how long does a harassment warning stand? 3/If the person who made the complaint provides the person who has been issued with the warning a solicitors letter stating they will accept communication by email,text,letter,phone,is that person then ok to contact the person whom made the comp…

  4. zebadee
    Started by zebadee,

    Hello there. Haven't posted before as I've rarely had contact with police. I was informally interviewed by a social worker and a plain clothes police officer from a CPU as part of a s.47 child protection joint enquiry after I'd been falsely accused. I made complaints afterwards as the information taken from me was later distorted to look as though I'd admitted to something which was certainly not the case. I know the interview wasn't a PACE one and I know the police were carrying out pre-arrest enquiries only. However, I'd like to know what statutory powers the police officer was actually operating under and what the duties of the officer were in such circumstances where …

  5. Investigator
    Started by Investigator,

    Someone had emailed me this morning in relation to a traffic offense. They are wanting to have an idea of the outcome before lawyers open in the morning. 19 - licence held 2 years. within a year - CD30 5 points outstanding insurance fine New DD, no insurance, tax or M.O.T. Any ideas what he will get?

    • 11 replies
    • 1.5k views
  6. Random~name
    Started by Random~name,

    Have no idea if this belongs here... What would the laws be regarding halloween pranks See, it's a tradition in my household to put a pin on the doorbell... Or cause children distress and fear through our funa nd games (all in the spirit of halloween of course) Such as making cold spaghetti and putting it in boxes and telling kids there is sweets inside and watching them squirm... or throwing pretend spiders on them... It's quite obvious some children get upset at this but is it breaching any laws? Have I just confessed to comitting crimes? Regards

      • Like
    • 39 replies
    • 3.8k views
  7. mph
    Started by mph,

    I did have a firm understanding of each of these but the more Ive thought about what I have been learning the more Ive confused myself. Sec 4 public order is The offence is created by section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986: 1) A person is guilty of an offence if he - a) uses towards another person threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or b) distributes or displays to another person any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, with intent to cause that person to believe that immediate unlawful violence will be used against him or another by any person, or to provoke the immediate use of unlawful viole…

      • Like
    • 7 replies
    • 2.5k views
  8. cdnine
    Started by cdnine,

    Can anyone help confirm if a witness can intimidate a suspect? I'm dealing with a Public Order offence, one witness who supports victims comments. Suspect denies offence and alleged witness assulted her. A few days goes by and witness has contacted suspects work (obviously to cause trouble).

    • 8 replies
    • 1.8k views
  9. Nkrumah
    Started by Nkrumah,

    If i already arrested and charged a person for one offence arising from a matter, can i later lay other charges arising from the same matter.

    • 7 replies
    • 1.3k views
  10. earthman1546620180
    Started by earthman1546620180,

    Do Police ANPR cameras access exactly the same database that's on http://www.askmid.com/askmid.aspx that the public can use? How long does it normally take for them to enter your insurance details? I traded my car in at a dealership on Friday afternoon, the dealership automatically supplied me with a 7 day policy/cover note, I have told my insurance company about the change of vehicle so they will be covering me when the 7 day cover expires. I've noticed that my old car is still on the database as being insured though. I'm wondering if they even bother putting it on the database just for seven days?

    • 14 replies
    • 20.7k views
  11. 5460
    Started by 5460,

    Over the years there have been many debates on what lights are and aren't allowed on a car. This guide will hopefully answer the majority of questions but of course is not a definitive and fully comprehensive thread covering all angles. Please feel free to add to it or correct me where I may be wrong. What is a light? The age old debate partly stems from LEDs not actually being classified as a bulb, because it is a diode and not a filament bulb. Unfortunately modern legislation doesn't really cover LEDs too well, although I like to think that common sense prevails in most cases. Some of the newer vehicles on the road use LED headlamps as standard, so the law is changing…

      • Like
    • 188 replies
    • 41.1k views
  12. GeneralGinger
    Started by GeneralGinger,

    I was just wondering if anyone knows the legislation governing opposite sex searches? I am aware that where possible same sex searches are to be carried out, however, Is it illegal for a male to search a female? and if this is to happen there is to be a responsible witness and the backs of hands to be used etc.....??? Is it down to local/company policy's or is there national guidelines? I'm not after the policy for the Police but the general law governing opposite sex serches. Ta folks

      • Like
    • 43 replies
    • 12k views
    captaincampbell
  13. farmerfred
    Started by farmerfred,

    I was sent a link to this ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170542866936#ht_500wt_947 it's a land rover which has no ID, which in itself is suspicious, but if you look at the seller's feedback you'll see that he's bought an ID from another older landrover which he's attempted to put on this vehicle. it's quite possible that there's a legitimate reason why the vehicle has no ID, but i can't really think of one, i'd say that there's some chance that it might be a stolen vehicle that someone has tried to disguise by brush painting it nato green (also bought on ebay). Given the number of landrovers going missing at the moment, i though…

    • 11 replies
    • 4.2k views
  14. randombobby
    Started by randombobby,

    Can anyone clarify the below? Theres some disagreement at work whether we have a common law power to "detain someone" until we establish the facts. For eg a victim points out a suspect and the incident requires investigation on the street to establish the facts. Going on the below we cannot "detain" someone until we know the facts, we have to arrest them? YEAR OF CASE 2008 CITATION [2008] EWHC 1056 Admin COURT Queens Bench Division SUMMARY Three police officers attended a public house having been advised that someone had smashed an ash tray. W, who fitted the vague description, left the vicinity and was taken by the arm by one of the officers and asked if …

      • Like
    • 51 replies
    • 4.6k views
  15. Alan Partridge
    Started by Alan Partridge +,

    Hi all I was wondering if someone could be kind enough to clear something up for me regarding the issue of VDRS' to motorists who have defects with their vehicles Currently, I 1) Thank them for stopping and ask to see their driving licence and vehicle documents 2) Identify any defects on the vehicle and perform a vehicle PNC check 3) Write out a VDRS and if necessary a 'producer' 4) Inform them that they are being reported for the offence and give them the 'now' caution I honestly believe that this is the correct procedure but I'd just like to have this confirmed as I am a new officer Cheers Alan

    • 17 replies
    • 9.1k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.