England & Wales
4557 topics in this forum
-
Reasonable force is, evidently, a subjective term. And, as such, lots of people have varying (sometimes strong) opinions about it. In law, has it been held that the seriousness of an offence has any bearing on the level of force it is "reasonable to use". I'm not aware of any and if we are exercising a legal power that allows us to use force then it is that, and the threat posed, or the level of force needed for us to exercise that power. However, in the public's mind the seriousness of the offence probably has a bearing on whether the force was reasonable. Recently I pushed a man off a pushbike (onto wet grass I might add) because he was making off and I knew him to ha…
-
Hi guys I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction where I could find the legal definition of a taxi - as found on a buses and taxis only sign for example. I've had a look for this on here but am unable to find anything suitable. Internet search has brought up some link to local byelaws and Town Police Act, but I've not found anything specific which states that TAXI = Hackney carriage, and not private hire. Some of the prerequisites for being a hackney carriage (1600cc engine, at least 4 doors, TAXI sign a certain size) have helped, but I'm looking more for the black and white haha. Sorry if I've missed the obvious
-
Ewwo, Im looking for legal stuff about the above mentioned topic - I cant seem to find much apart from 8 people were charged with it - whats constituted as conspiracy to cause criminal damage? And anyone have any relevant law about it etc? Ta muchly!
-
Im sure you have read all about the bike thefts in manchester where the police didnt chase cos they had no helmets on but what offence is committed if when you pull a biker with no helmet (not nicked bike) and he claims its against his religion, how can you prove his religion? you dont have to be an particular nationality any more to claim you worship any religion. i know you may think this is a daft question but with the number of smart sods out there id be amazed if no one tried it on yet
-
- 15 replies
- 2.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
i know the law says you cant have blues on the car, and only white to front, red to rear etc the other day i saw a black audi a3 ( i assume it was a private ambulance as had seen an accident further down the road) and it had zig zag headlights on... obviously traffic was moving out of the way for it... no blues and twos, which made me wonder, is it illegal for joe blogs to have these fitted?
-
A question I heard a student ask yesterday... Is the necessity of "Prompt and effective investigation of the offence" a legit necessity when arresting someone for s5? That tends to be the catch-all necessity which can be used for pretty much any offence if you get stuck, but is there a more 'suitable' necessity? Got me thinking... fairly certain all my s5's have been prompt and effective on the Custody sheet, but the more I thought about it the more that necessity actually seemed a bit odd for s5. Is p&e investigation of the conduct of the person a better phrasing, and does it make any difference in Court...? What are people's thoughts on it...? Which necessity do…
-
First i am new here my name is Dillon . I saw a topic titled shoplifting and burglary and it got me thinking. I have researched the law on shoplifting but nothing is very clear. there are many indidents you hear over the radio coms where the police get called to places like asda ,boots etc because there was a report of a shoplifter. Some are caught they have tools on them that they where said to have used to steal from the stores in question. The law states that some one caught stealing will get a max sentace of 7 years other atricles say that the police are giving fines of £80 to people caught shoplifting. Tv shows like cctv nation claim that shoplifters get held …
-
- 11 replies
- 20.3k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Just wondering what the law is on having blue lights on the front of pedal bikes (police/ambulance response bikes)? I'm sure i've seen an NHS cycle responder with blue lights on their bike.
-
I wonder how many officers out there have arrested people who have them turned around and demanded that they where secured their human rights?. If this did happen would would you do?. Lets say they argued that the caution used by officers where a breech of their human rights act and the cation which was used deprived them of their basic human rights. As every officer should know that if national law is in conflict with the law of human rights national alw shall be set aside meaning that human rights take priority over national law. if the cation used is in violation of the human rights act then if the case goes to court it could be thrown out. What are your thoughts s…
-
- 13 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-11035402 I'm puzzled how the CPS can justify this. A man makes a statement in a public forum that he assisted in the death of another. Public outcry and the Police investigate. No evidence to back up the claim. No complaint made by the family (as far as I'm aware). CPS go for a charge. How can they justify this given the number of instances where they recommend NFA? Does this mean we'll see more prosecutions of people who make fase rape allegations? How about other instances. MisPer searches where the child was hiding under the bed? False allegations by the ex just because they don't like your new partner? …
-
We have had several garden ornaments stolen, and even more failed attempts. The ornaments are now mostly fixed down and or alarmed. I know this seams a bit OTT to alarm garden ornaments but what else can we do? Two Thefts and one attempted theft have been reported to the local police. In one part of our garden I have set cheap alarms activated by thread between two post at 6 inches and 20 inches above ground. A neighbour has expressed concern as they say their cats come into our garden and climb nearby trees to catch the birds, and they are worried that the cats may get caught in the threads attached to the alarms. What is my position should one of their cats get injure…
-
- 2 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Got these definitions out of points to prove, my question is the lastbit of the definition of assault is about putting someone in fear of violence,but s4 POA is about putting someone in fear of violence, can anyone clear it upfor me which offence you would go for in this sort of situation its justconfused me a little sorry if this explanation is a tad confusing or in thewrong topic area. Assault That you did assault by beating or intentionallyor recklessly caused the person to fear that s/he would beimmediately subjected to unlawful violence.
-
Just wanting some advice regarding a question that I was asked from a friend who is a PCSO with a local police force regarding Stops and PNC checks. Whilst out on foot patrol on the local area was approached by a member of public (not previously known to the PCSO) who advised that a male who was nearby was ‘wanted on warrant for an offence’. Rather than approaching the possible ‘wanted’ male, my friend took the details of the informant and went back to the office to make enquiries on local systems. Could a serving officer advise in their opinion the best way to deal with it/ if any powers to stop and carry out PNC checks exsist? If so what powers? Could the P…
-
This occurred 2 nights ago whilst on shift and I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks about it as I feel CPS have let me down! I stopped 2 males in an Industrial area that has seen an awful lot of Burglary non-dwellings lately at 02:30 on Tuesday morning. Each male had a rucksack on his back and one of them was carrying an empty, light-weight sports bag. On searching these males they had, between them, a pair of pliers, a saw and a screwdriver, so I arrested both for Going Equipped - so far so good. In interview the males stated that they were heading to a local town park to go camping, however it was pointed out to them that they had no tent and were going in…
-
- 13 replies
- 7.7k views
- 2 followers
-
-
Hi Not sure if I'm in the right thread but here's my situation.Here's the background. Basically i got mixed up with the girl from Hell with whom I had a child who is approaching one years of age. We split up when he was six months old which was no surprise. She had an abusive upbringing which has affected her mentally. She has a severe temper and if I had five minutes with you and showed you her texts,emails,recordings taken on my dicataphone,eye witness accounts etc,you would be satisfied she was a whole lot of trouble. As I said we split up after 6 months after which for the next two months she made it difficult for me to see my son.I basically had to play the go…