England & Wales
4557 topics in this forum
-
I read about a copper being let off for speeding because the circle on the speed limit sign wasnt the right colour (or something like that). I saw a sign the other day saying "Police Inforcement Camera" in London. Could the the fact that Enforcement is spelt Inforcement be a defence in Court? We all know what it means - but what is the difference between the colour and spelling mistake?
-
I found this My link I thought they were a myth. Has anyone used them? Is this the only one, or are there others? Is there one based in the NW. Cheers in advance marts and lids
-
- 1 reply
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hi all, I just wanted to pick your brains and ask for some advice. I saw a cyclist riding on the pavement. This particular road has been pedestrianised. No vehicles or cycles allowed whatsoever. The cyclist has gone up this street and hit a 3yr old child who was standing still on the pavement right by the road and has been knocked down. The cyclist has then ridden off nonchalantly as nothing had happened. A couple of other people gave chase but the cyclist got away. The child sustained minor injuries only. What offence(s) do we have? Kind Regards KLF
-
A recent off duty incident made me wonder about the offences created by fishing a fishing club pond without membership. I've looked up the local byelaws etc. Fishing without permission seems to be a civil matter but I can't find anything concrete. Say the person fishing has the correct rod licence and does not take or attempt to take any fish away ie, not poaching just simply fishing without proper authority and subject to several recent 'You are not allowed to fish here' type warnings. Could someone with knowledge in wildlife law answer the following please: 1. Is it strictly civil matter or is there something relevant under the Fraud Act 2006, (section 11, obtaining…
-
If someone is bailed and has condition that they can't go in a certain area or enter certain premises, is it possible to do an any person arrest if you see them in breach of these conditions. Its quite common for regular offenders to be banned from all pubs/ all shops/ or even the entire town centre as a condition of bail. These people are well known to security people working in these areas and the same people are often briefed that the offender has these conditions. So if you know that a prolific shoplifter has just been bailed with a condition that they can not enter any shop, then they enter your shop, can you arrest them? Would it depend on what type of bail, ie wh…
-
Just a quickie, is it ok to burn rubbish in your back garden?
-
I was out on Saturday night having a few beers for a mates birthday and was in a small bar/club just up until closing time. As I left the club I noticed that one of the door staff had a pair of what looked like Hiatt Rigid cuffs attached to his belt. They were definately rigid cuffs none the less. Now I may have had a few beers, but I was with two colleagues and I found this a little strange. As we left the bar I asked the other two if they had noticed and said that surely he is guilty of possession of an offensive weapon ie "any article made or adapted for use in causing injury to the person" Seen as the whole point of rigid cuffs is that you can apply compliance techn…
-
The cul de sac I live has 6 or 7 children living here ranging from about 6 to early/mid teens. During the summer the children, teenagers and even some of the adults leave a large amount of stuff just lying around on the pavements and in the road, clothes, toys, bikes, go karts etc. The stuff can lay un touched for days (even weeks) which says to me it isn't actually wanted. Is there a time limit to how long something can remain untouched before it is considered abandoned and can be collected by somebody else, taken to a charity shop and sold to benefit somebody who actually wants the product and the charity?
-
- 11 replies
- 1.5k views
- 2 followers
-
-
Hi guys someone yesterday asked me what the timing is for overnight parking ie if they leave before 11.55pm and return after 12.15am had they stopped overnight or not? I was flummoxed so I am asking you guys! thanks in anticipation.
-
I'm not sure if any of you saw this program recently, about a guy from Essex who's big into base jumping. He 'finds ways' into well known landmarks and buildings, then jumps off with his parachute. It was an interesting watch. It was put forward as being illegal, but got me wondering about what laws exactly are broken. I read (and it still doesn't seem right) that trespass is not a criminal offence (unless on railway / military land etc). So long as he doesn't commit damage on the way in, and has no intention to steal or damage anything inside, burglary doesn't seem to fit. As for the jumping off, foolhardy and possibly dangerous to road users beneath, but again what …
-
Say, for example, I attend an address and arrest someone for offence X, then conduct a S32 PACE search of the premises for evidence of offence X. During that search I find evidence of offence Y, completely separate and distinct from offence X. Can I now lawfully extend the search to include offences of Y or related offences too? I can't lock them up for Y at this time - would take too long to explain why... An example would be I arrest someone for theft and conduct a 32 for the stolen property but whilst searching I find some drugs. I'm sure I'd read somewhere that you can lawfully now also search for further drugs as well as the original stolen property without havi…
-
-
Hi all, In relation to graves. If the headstone on a plot were to be moved from the original place to a nearby place is there any law that would constitute a criminal offence? Just asking as the last time I visited my grandfathers grave his headstone was 5th in from the right and 2nd to last row. I went this morning to find it was last row back 7th in from the right. Is there any law that would cover If this occurs or is it purely down to dealing with the local authority?
-
Hi, I was thinking about this whilst we were booking someone in the other day. The custody officer was asking about how much this chap had had to drink, quite alot as it turned out but I was thinking. Alcohol certainly played a part in this offence, in the end we didn't interview this guy. The thing is when answering the custody officers questions, perhaps in good faith for the benefit of his own safety, he's still under caution so anything he says to the custody officer in response to the standard spiel is fair game and all voice and video recorded. Is there an exemption for this information to enable people to feel more able to answer the questions honestly, i.e. h…
-
Defendant has been released from custody with conditions not to contact IP or attend her address. statemenet obtained nothing threatining as such but continues to contact IP throughout from a TK and another MOBILE and attends address would you (A) Arrest for breach of bail and interview (B) go for a further harrasement arrest and interview © Witness intimidation create new crime and interview?? Your Thoughts would be appreciated I was thinking (B).....