Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

England & Wales

  1. dth1546620374
    Started by dth1546620374,

    Would someone please clarify the following for me: When a variable speed camera on the M25 changes from NSL to say, 40mph, does the camera associated with these cameras ie on the gantries, automatically change to detect violators at that moment etc etc. Thanks

    • 2 replies
    • 1.5k views
  2. Shikari
    Started by Shikari +,

    Hi all, I have here my Dad's Inspectors/sergeant's Manual of Guidance from when he was studying for his Inspectors exam. I believe it to be accurate up until 1981. so a few questions: 1- Is it practical to learn the law from this book? 2- Which (major/commonly used) laws have since been updated i.e. which should I learn and which should I go elsewhere for? and thirdly... What website can find up to date laws e.g. Public order act etc.? (a Blackstones manual is out of my price range at the moment) Thanks very much, Shikari

    • 6 replies
    • 773 views
  3. Lido99
    Started by Lido99 * ,

    Hi About two weeks ago I was in a rental car travelling with my husband in Edinburgh. We were stopped by a taxi, the driver cut us off at an intersection and proceeded to get out of his taxi and accused us of nearly hitting his vehicle. We were a bit stunned but tried to calm him down and eventually asked him to contact the police and said we'd be willing to wait for the police to attend. His manner went from angry to really aggressive, swearing and accusing us. He got so close to my face (I was the passenger) that I could feel spit on my face. I brought out my phone and said to him that I was going to take his photo as this was out of hand. He then punched me on the arm…

  4. bensonby
    Started by bensonby +,

    Isn't a basic tenant of capitalism the notion that entrepreneurial people can buy something that is desirable and sell it on at a profit? We supposedly live in a capatilist(ish) society. As such, why are there restrictions on re-selling football tickets in crimnial law? Why has the idea been mooted that this should be extended to other areas (concerts and so on)? Isn't that all rather anti-capitalist and anti-competetive? Of course, terms and conditions are one thing (venues not letting people in because they have broken T&Cs. However, why is this the scope, or prospective scope, of criminal law? It all seems a bit perverse...after all, Sainsbury's buy tins of beans …

    • 22 replies
    • 1.7k views
    Administrative Account
  5. timb1546620664
    Started by timb1546620664 * ,

    I was stopped for a search as it was early a.m coming back from a club.. duty driver & wasnt drinking so everything was fine. I was asked to give my name and date of birth. They then asked where i was staying so i gave my friends address i stayed at. This was all checked over the radio and he said it was fine. My question is.. when giving your name and DOB is your registered address not linked in? IE your dvla registered address? Cheer T

    • 3 replies
    • 1.4k views
    timb1546620664 *
  6. earthman1546620180
    Started by earthman1546620180,

    Hi everybody, my first post here, hope someone can give the correct answers for sure? I have a Victorinox Swisstool multi tool, all the attachments lock out including the two small blades (under 3") which of course make it illegal to carry as an everyday tool without a good reason. 1. If I were to permanently remove/grind away the part on the blades that make them lock, would the tool then be classed as 'non locking' so would be legal to carry in public without reason? 2. What about the locking wood & metal saws plus the chisel attachment, are they seen as illegal due to the fact that they lock in place? After all, they could do some serious harm if used as a weapo…

    • 35 replies
    • 33.5k views
    earthman1546620180
  7. eyley
    Started by eyley,

    Opinions, ideas, stories... What do you all think of the impliations of Restorative Justice? Do you use it? How do you decide to use it....do you do it by a case by case basis? or implement your own rules (aside from the regular rules about RJ....previous RJ's / PPOs etc) I think it's a cracking idea, it's well loved by the team I work with.

    • 11 replies
    • 1.8k views
  8. Agntblack
    Started by Agntblack * ,

    From recent media publication on tv and in the local papers I see that there have been severel mass murders at large in the uk, to me this seems very serious and is giving all sorts off wronge messages to the youth of our country. My question is why do the police seem to me that they are very effient at detecting drug use (cannabis) but seem not so effient at detected these murderous people. Every week i pick up the paper or look on the internet i see pictures off officer holding or surrounded my cannabis plants from raids and investigations that have taken place. Yes i understand that drug use in some cases does lead to more serious crime but i fail to see why people w…

  9. David Heap
    Started by David Heap,

    Hi, has any Officers ever come across this type of situation. A Farmer's cattle Dog's go missing during a bad snow storm. Both dog's are known in the area as being 'stock proof' The Farmer searches every where for the dog's and ask's neighbours to keep a look out for them. One of these neighbours, goes out hunting the dog's, shoot's them dead and with the help of another neighbour carry away and hides the bodies. Mean while another neighbour witnesses this happening. Ten day's after the witness see's this he informs the owners of the dog's. The owners then speak to the neighbour who shot the dog's, he denies it, then admits to killing them saying both dog's had been worry…

    • 0 replies
    • 621 views
  10. Paradox
    Started by Paradox +,

    Hey all! Just a quick one; If a public service like a hospital for example bans smoking within their site (like many have done) is it still classed as an offence that we can deal with if that is breached? Or does it fall to the service themselves to enfore their own rules? Also, would it make any difference whether the smoking was taking place inside the buildings or if it took place outside buildings but still on the site?

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 1.1k views
  11. randombobby
    Started by randombobby,

    1. Driver has a full motorcycle licence for 5 years. He then passes his driving and within a year gets 6 points. What gets revoked, the car, bike, both or neither (because hes had his bike licence already for 5 years) 2. Driver has bike and car licence passed both within 6 monts. Then gets 6 points in a year. I would assume both would get revoked. Would he only have to pass say the driving to get the bike reinstated or would he have to pass both. 3. Does it make a difference how the points are accumulated, i.e. bike or car? Cheers

    • 5 replies
    • 828 views
  12. AlfoxUK
    Started by AlfoxUK,

    Hey, I was just thinking, when arresting someone in Scotland is the wording to the caution different from the wording in England and Wales. I belive the E&W wording is: So, is it different in Scotland, and if so what is our version? Thanks guys

    • 5 replies
    • 3.2k views
  13. DBRacingGod
    Started by DBRacingGod,

    Dear Sirs and Ladies, The lovely people at the Treasury and ACPO have opined that up to 28,000 'police jobs' may have to go in these straitened times and that these cuts may hit officer numbers. How? Do they mean slashing police staff and freezing recruitment until the wage bill matches their figures? I can't see how else they can achieve it since warranted officers can't be made redundant. I know Surrey has just cut 70 senior officers (presumably by ushering them into early retirement), but how do the bean counters and ACPO think they can manage Home Office expectations so dramatically? Surely they must have a more radical plan than merely waiting for natural wastag…

    Sham1546619954
  14. Burnie
    Started by Burnie,

    This is one that I spotted the other day and I wasn't certain on the legality or illegality of it. I was driving along the A46 when my eye was drawn to a vehicle on the opposite carriageway which was approx 2-300 yds away. At first I noticed the odd combination of paintwork and thought it had a strange design on the bonnet but as the vehicle drew closer I realised it didn't have a bonnet and the engine bay was exposed and it got me thinking..... Is the driver of this vehicle commiting any offences???

    • 3 replies
    • 807 views
  15. gilly9
    Started by gilly9,

    Do traffic police chase you if they catch you speeding or do you just get a nip through the post? I passed one today but am not sure if I was over the limit or not.

      • Like
    • 14 replies
    • 1.9k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.