Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

England & Wales

  1. X-Adz-X
    Started by X-Adz-X,

    How many of you, like me, have a serious pet hate for those who drive whilst on their mobile phones? Whilst I was a passenger this evening in my mates car, in rush hour traffic whilst at a red light, I looked up at at this huge truck that pulled up, only to be welcomed by a female driver using her mobile phone. One hand on the phone with it to her ear and the other hand operating the vehicle. It really does make me tick because I've almost been a crash due to someone being distracted by their mobile phone. The punishment at the moment for driving whilst on your mobile phone is a £30 fine (As for as I'm aware). However, I seriously think this should be changed. You CANN…

    • 6 replies
    • 963 views
  2. WiganS
    Started by WiganS,

    I was just wondering I haven't started my training as a special yet but what is the law in relation to carrying your warrant card should this be done all the time whether your on duty or not? Or should you only carry when on duty ?

      • Like
    • 52 replies
    • 4.7k views
  3. 777
    Started by 777,

    Hi, just a quick question I am doing some reading on a lesson I have on Thursday regarding Domestic Abuse and some force policy, which is to always do some 'positive' which by that they mean arrest Now some of the possible offences are Public Order sections 4, 4A and 5 I was just wondering, I have already covered these in the last few weeks and thought you cannot commit these offences in your own dwelling? Is that correct? I am very confused

    znra2511546080955
  4. Soapyw
    Started by Soapyw,

    Hi, This may be more of a 'help me' and I would be surprised if any of you have experience of the issue through the police, so more a question incase anyone has come across it personally. I live on a new build estate where the land is long term lease hold. So we own the house but as per the terms of the lease are liable to a £100 a year ground rent fee. After three years this has never been billed until now with an invoice through the door for £300. How far back can companies claim these kind of things when they simply haven't bothered to bill their customers? I'm thinking along the lines of the gas companies who can only claim back so far. I've found bits of legi…

    • 9 replies
    • 1.4k views
  5. bensonby
    Started by bensonby +,

    If I wished to evidence an offence by taking a photo of a suspect commmitting the offence (in a public place) with one of our standard evidential cameras that we have (ICEFLO if you're in the Met) do I need RIPA authorisation? Say I'm out on patrol in the car and I see someone rising a bike on the pavement, I snap him doing so before stopping him. Is that RIPA compliant?

    • 5 replies
    • 922 views
  6. IrateShrike
    Started by IrateShrike +,

    Is there any legislation that can be used if a dog has attacked someone in private as opposed to public? Also, if the dogs feet were inside a dwelling but it's snout crossed the threshold and bit someone's hand that was stood at the door (on the garden path), would this be classed as in public or private? Thanks

      • Like
    • 4 replies
    • 765 views
  7. Roethern
    Started by Roethern,

    I've often heard it said that if we're ready to proceed we can invite a suspect back to the police station in advance of their bailback date, (so long as the suspect agrees of course). Is there any legislation about this? The reason I ask is that the person is effectively arrested when they return on bail, and I wondered whether we have a power to do that. We have a power to effectively arrest when someone returns on bail, but if they come in voluntarily earlier, before bailback, then they are effectively not answering bail, as defined by law.

    • 9 replies
    • 4k views
  8. cheshire10
    Started by cheshire10,

    How do you deal with a situation where you have two people saying one thing against the a thrid person? The third person says the other two are lying and colluding to pervert the course of justice. How can you determine if the two are colluding together?

      • Like
    • 5 replies
    • 900 views
  9. SkinSte
    Started by SkinSte,

    I'm having brain meltdown. I arrest someone on suspicion of Burglary. I leave my colleague at the scene taking a statement. On my way to custody with the prisoner I get a message from my colleague that it is now apparent that the offence of Burglary did not take place but was in fact one of Criminal Damage (please don't worry about why etc). How and when do I tell my arrested person that they are now under arrest for Criminal Damage but no longer under arrest for Burglary? My thinking is that the When is as soon as practical and the How is "I'm now further arresting you for Criminal Damage" and advising still under Caution, most likely repeating the C and the reason fo…

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 1.3k views
  10. Airflow
    Started by Airflow,

    Seeing another topic about filming etc etc. Anyway, as an officer, i dont care if someone films, say on their mobile phone, but say this footage captures an offence of some sort, can that phone be seized from a general mop for evidential purposes? If so what power/law/act etc is it done? I was also told that in relation to mobile phone use whilst driving, there is a 'power under common law' to seize the phone as evidence of required. Could someone quote me this as i cant find it? Sorry if this has been done to death.

      • Like
    • 15 replies
    • 5.2k views
  11. strathclyde28
    Started by strathclyde28,

    How rare is it to catch a suspect breaking into a house at the scene when you get to the house? has anyone ever came across a suspect trying to break in.

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 1.2k views
  12. NWest
    Started by NWest,

    Just wondering if anyone has seen increased aggressiveness due to stress, and if so what did you do? Was the job supportive or not?

    • 2 replies
    • 919 views
  13. strathclyde28
    Started by strathclyde28,

    Does anyone know if there is any funny laws in the UK as i know in the USA it's breaking the law if you take a Griffae a walk down the street also its breaking the law if tie a Griffae to a pole.

      • Like
    • 17 replies
    • 2.7k views
  14. bogdan39
    Started by bogdan39,

    Driving along Tottenham today, i see three blokes kicking the crap out of another bloke who was at the time laying on the pavement. I looked for a place to stop, found one, whilst pulling handbrake up, i watched the public tip toe their way around the poor sod laying on the floor. Someone (who shall remain nameless) called the Police and ambulance, besides one other guy and myself, everyone ran off not wishing to be a part of this episode. However before the other witnesses left i did ask around as to why the not wish to help the Police catching these thugs. The replies were along the lines, i not wish to go to court, the thugs will come after me, and """"" em i couldn…

  15. GordonH
    Started by GordonH,

    I know this site isn't supposed to be for legal advice, but I think the member here are probably the best to ask. Some newer cars have brake lights that flash so that they are easier noticed, I always understood that brkae lights should be steady. So now I'm thinking of adding a couple of auxillery LED brake lights to the back of my bike that flash. Is this legal? Or am I only likely to get hassle if I blind someone? Thanks And to save someone else posting it

      • Like
    • 32 replies
    • 21.6k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.