England & Wales
4557 topics in this forum
-
If A civilian motorcyclist was to wear one of these on their motorcycle, are they breaking any law/ comitting any offence?
-
Hi, I hope you don't mind me leaping straight in with a new topic for my first post. I'm writing an adventure book for boys between 11 and 14 years old. It's gone well enough so far, and I'm getting towards the end of the first draft. However, I've gotten to a point where the main character has called the police - and now I realise that I've no idea what the response would be. If you could give me a couple of pointers, I'd be really grateful. Here's the situation: The police are called to a farm/haulage company depot by two boys who claim to have been locked up on the site, and to have found a stash of stolen cars. I'm guessing that officers would attend fairly quickly…
-
Hi, I'm just after some advice really. I have a girlfriend, but have been stupidly seeing another girl for a few months. I ended it with this other girl (not my girlfriend) recently because I felt too guilty, but she's not taking no as an answer. She sent a letter to my girlfriend revealing everything, which was very mean of her. My girlfriend obviously got upset and asked me questions, and we've pretty much sorted things out and we're reasonably OK again now. However, this other girl is now threatening to put all the "evidence" she has, like copies of our texts back and forth over a 3 month period, and pictures I sent her, and stuff like that on a website, and then se…
-
- 6 replies
- 982 views
- 1 follower
-
-
Dear All, I have a quick question which I'd really appreciate some advice on. I did something very stupid the other day. I am 40, have never had any problems with the police and not even had one point taken off my driving licence in over 20 years. The police arrived, I admitted I had done wrong and had no defence and they then gave me a caution. I didn't have to sign any papers, go to the police station or anything like that. They checked I had no previous convictions, read me my rights and then let me go on my way, which was very decent of them. If I wasn't so scared I would have paid more attention. I've done my research on the internet and I can't find whether the …
-
- 18 replies
- 20.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Just had a long debate with someone on facebook who's a MOP. Police will be stopping people from tomorrow who are driving with snow on roof of car & will issue fixed penalty of £60 + 3 points, due to the hazard it can cause. Its in the Highway code. Would you pull someone over for this then issue with the above? I think it would be a waste of my time really. I would prefer to get them to take the snow off, and issue them with words of advice and a driver alert (in Surrey) if they recommit in 12 months then they get the above or summoned. What do you think?
-
lots of scottish forces sent cops down to the riots in london, what is the legislation used to allow them the power of arrest in england and wales without them swearing in etc?
-
Hellooo everyone! We had our harassment input today and I did some further reading around the topic in my blackstone's book. In doing so, I stumbled upon this bit of legislation that I've never heard of or seen used before. But it seems like a very useful legislative tool to have on one's belt! Has anyone ever used it or is aware of the mechanics of issuing such a direction? (Other than announcing it verbally). The legislation states that a police officer can give someone a direction to do 'all the things he/she considers necessary' to prevent the harassment, alarm or distress to a resident (or other persons in the vicintiy). Failing to follow this direction then beco…
-
I'm guilty of the above. I misused my mothers disabled badge to park in a bay so I wouldn't have to buy a ticket. I was caught by a civil enforcement officer and ticketed, I was told I may be prosecuted. What are the implications for me now as I understand that its a criminal offence. What impact will this have on any future police applications I make?
-
Hi I was thinking today whether it was possible to aggravate an offence due to disability or sexuality (similar to S31 Crime and Disorder Act for racially aggravated public order)? I came across S146 Criminal Justice Act ( http://www.legislati.../44/section/146) which outlines an "Increase in sentences for aggravation related to disability or sexual orientation", however this seems as though it is just guidelines for the courts? For example, for racially aggravated HAD, you just arrest for S31 Crime and Disorder, rather than S5. But what would you do for disability or sexuality aggravation? Still arrest for S5 but detail the circumstances so if it goes to court they co…
-
S27 Notices. I dont get them. Dont get me wrong I understand what they are etc.. But Surely there is always a more substansive offence such as S5 or D&D. If not why not just arrest them for BOP and remove them from the area rather then fill a cell up and take an officer of the streets for a couple of hours on a Saturday night. Whats your views on using S27 Powers and why use them????
-
An interesting scenario unfolded in my office today that got me thinking about the scope of Section 1 (Unauthorised access to computer material) in the Computer Misuse Act. A colleague left his mobile phone on his desk in an open plan office. The phone had it's screen lock on, but was not PIN or password protected. A manager then walks by the desk sometime later when the colleague is not there. The manager then unlocks the phone (i.e. by making a swiping action on the screen), sees that this unlocks the phone and relocks it. He then leaves a not on the desk advising the colleague to use a PIN. Would this count as unauthorised access (albeit, very minor)? I understand th…
-
I came across this video and got me thinking, what rights (If any) does the man have? and what powers does the police officer have? i guess it would depend on the circumstances?
-
Imagine a self-contained private road system, such as that at a large school with grounds or a stately home etc - not roads that just anyone can drive through. Firstly - does this count as 'on a road or other public place'? I believe a 'road' is 'any length of highway or other road to which the public has access' so this would not be a road. Secondly - what offences do and don't count? As I understand it that means the 'road or public place' sections of the RTA do not apply. So they are allowed to use blues on vehicles, and offences such as noinsurance/tax/mot/DOWIA etc do not count. I think that this even means offences such as DUI, dangerous driving, failing to comply…
-
When should this be done and what are the advantages of doing it? Is there any legal precedent for this having to be done? I had one in custody the other day who I arrested after a colleague had liaised with a victim and relayed to me what happened. At custody the skipper asked me if the allegation had been repeated by the victim in the sight and hearing of the suspect, which it wasn't. The skipper didn't seem to mind but I wondered what the purpose of him asking was. I was under the impression that having allegations repeated to a suspect didn't really afford any real advantage.
-
Quick scenario/question. Person A has been banned from buying a certain over the counter pain relief drug from a certain shop, by that shop. He requests Person B to go in and buy these drugs for him. Person B knows full well that Person A has been banned from buying them from this store due to the quantities he has been buying over the years. Does Person B commit any offences buy buying these drugs and supplying them to Person A? First look and i can't see that it is illegal but definitely a little fishy so wondering if there are any offences committed here? Cheers