Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

England & Wales

  1. marralass
    Started by marralass,

    According to the laws on racial hatred what makes an offence is quite wide. Obviously it has to be racial The remark/ statement etc. has to be public in some way. But it doesn't have to be hateful or abusive, it can cover insults. So are there any cases or guidance as to what might be considered an "insult" in this sense. Let me invent a hypothetical race of blue people, so we can discuss without offending anyone. If I say "blue people are really good at maths" it is racial but it is not insulting or in any way offensive. If I say "blue people are poor at maths" then that is clearly insulting, if I were say that in a public speech or distribute it in leaflets presu…

    Iceweasel1546620801
  2. specialconstable1
    Started by specialconstable1,

    What are the actual offences of accosting and what does it fall under? Does it come under soliciting? If for example person A makes comments about person B appearance and then asks them to engage / have sexual activity with person A? Obviously you have public order offences (I would says section 5, causing harassment/alarm/distress but are there seperate offences that deal with this type of behaviour?

    • 4 replies
    • 2.1k views
  3. marralass
    Started by marralass,

    Sparked by another post that mentions procedures for dealing with passports not in the possession of the owner, I was wondering what police procedures are for dealing with various forms of illegal ID. These come into 3 types Genuine Passport or Drivers Licence but belonging to someone else. Fake ID made to look like genuine Passport or Drivers Licence. Novelty ID, ie such as European Drivers permit, these look like official ID but have no genuine counterparts. Doorstaff get a lot of these being presented to them and it seems that the police attitude of what to do with them varies from area to area. Are there any laws or policy about dealing with these.

  4. DSR
    Started by DSR * ,

    I'm trying to establish the process and time limits in which the investigating officer is required to adhere to when gathering evidence and presenting a case for consideration. In this instance, a was a juvenile (under 16) who was assaulted by several teenagers ranging from 16 to 18. There are four witness's (all under 16) and CCTV footage that can give limited support to the case. But over one week on no enquires have yet been made. Regards.

  5. SC889
    Started by SC889,

    I went out last week with a local PC from the response team and just have a few questions that I didnt get to ask him. We went to quite a few domestics most of which were just verbal arguments so no offences and no crimes to record I just have a few questions though; - Are there any offences and what would you do if one party is recieving text messages from another where there are threats to cause injury? Eg 'If you keep seeing him I will beat you up' - Also I was talking to the PC about victimless prosecution where CPS can prosecute without victim co-operation, How does that work? For example two people not related fighting, none of them want to make a complaint of a…

      • Like
    • 12 replies
    • 1.2k views
    specialconstable1
  6. sp6281
    Started by sp6281,

    Hello everyone, My first post for a few years. I have been doing some research into "Reasonable Grounds to Believe" especially in regards to S17 PACE 1984. I have been trawling the PNLD, the Internet, Blackstones etc to no avail. Is believe defined in law? Is there any relevant case law in regards to S17 or Belief. Any links or text? Kind regards Sean

      • Like
    • 29 replies
    • 6k views
  7. cat22198
    Started by cat22198,

    hi, yesterday i was given a Penalty Notice of 80pounds by the police, as i got dared by a friend to shoplift some fake tan from tesco. I have been banned from tesco and have three weeks to pay this fine, which i think is fair :) im 17 and im very confused as to whether this will count as a Criminal Record- will it come up on CRB checks? is it there forever? can i have it removed? also im applying for universities. when i made my application i had NO penalty notice, so i filled in Criminal convictions - none Also on the back of my ticket it says if I DONT pay it will result in a criminal record or arrest however since i am paying does that mean it wont be on record for …

    Iceweasel1546620801
  8. jembles1546620788
    Started by jembles1546620788 * ,

    Hi, I would like to if and how I can have a Harassment warning that was issued to me removed. I have Aspergers Syndrome, as with all forms of Autism I have great difficulty understanding the rules and concepts of social interaction. I made several attempts to contact some one but eventually gave up. Several weeks later the police came and issued me with a harassment warning. I do not understand why, I struggle to understand exactly what the concept of harassment is and I don't understand what would be breaching the warning. All due to my condition. A solicitor told me the Police should have done an assesement on anyone with a mental disorder before issuing an harassmen…

    Iceweasel1546620801
  9. cook1e
    Started by cook1e,

    If a Source is paid for their information, and at a later date that information turns out to be completely inaccurate and intentionally false, what (if any) offence have they committed?

      • Like
    • 9 replies
    • 911 views
  10. Josh'Grizzly'Gregory
    Started by Josh'Grizzly'Gregory,

    Just finishing a piece of uni work whilst The Expendables is playing in the background and it got me thinking, does anyone know what happens to pirates when caught and found guilty? And to what offences are they charged with. I'm assuming they aren't hung anymore, someone care to enlighten me please. This isn't a joke, I literally am interested what happens to pirates caught in the waters around England & Wales.

    • 3 replies
    • 689 views
  11. katelar47
    Started by katelar47,

    Hi everyone. Me and my partner had a row a 2 month ago, and he assaulted me. I phoned the ambulance, and when they came in, the have to call the police in because I've quite nasty head injury. My partner was arrested. Next day police came around and ask me to make a statement and release my medical record, which I refused to do. I've signed the consent that I am not making any statements, no medical records to be released, etc..Then Social Services got involved, but their investigation is over now. Anyway, I don't want my partner to be prosecuted because if I would want police to be involved, I would phone them. If I'll send a letter to CPS, will it change anything? We …

  12. lookforwards1546620791
    Started by lookforwards1546620791,

    Here is perhaps a conflict between civil and criminal law to which I've never been given a definitive answer, so perhaps you can help... If you are separated from your wife/partner, but have parental responsibility for your child, then according to civil law you are entitled to contact any person who plays a role in caring for your child regarding matters about the child's welfare. So basically so you can contact the mother, grandparents, school, or any other of your child's carers to monitor how he or she is getting along. That's a fundamental part of parental responsibility. However what happens if say the mother you've contacted then accuses you of Harassment? If yo…

  13. hope.miley
    Started by hope.miley * ,

    I need help on finding out if someone i have spoken to for over 4 years but never met is actually the person he says he is? I talk to him nearly every day via text, facebook, email but have never spoke to him over phone or ever met him and no1 i know has either but i have tryed too. He has always made up excuses to not meeting me, i have made mistakes by giving him my address before as i trust/trusted him very well but he has still never come round. He has sent me pictures of himself as have i sent him of me and we are very close but my thoughts are that he could be someone different and steal them pictures via facebook/websites. I have confronted him on this subject but…

  14. matt2421546081230
    Started by matt2421546081230 +,

    Hi! To who ever is reading this… Just a quick question, which cropped up from a 'parade room' conversation. What legislation(s)/ section(s) do Police Marine Officers use in requesting/administering a preliminary breath test??? Does it come under the RTA '88 or do they have a power under a legislation/ section from Maritime law? They must carry breath test kits on Police boats, in case of a collision on a river (can't really say RTC- can you??? =S) or suspected drink boat driver? Random I know- just one of those many questions in life that pop up from time to time….. Cheers

      • Like
    • 13 replies
    • 1.6k views
  15. saintanselm
    Started by saintanselm,

    Dear All, Seasons greetings to you all. I was just wondering what the importance of pleading guilty is? Or, to put it another way, how does it help you? Let's say you are guilty of a crime. There is inconvertible truth that you are guilty:,say from eye witness statements or CCTV etc etc. Why do the police seem to be more impressed if you plead guilty to the crime from the start, rather than deny it? Is it because you will be wasting their time in a denial? Best wishes, James

    stewie_griffin +

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.