Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Wiley1546620145
    Started by Wiley1546620145,

    DAMN! Out of all the years and stages of my life I have lived, why now (in the recruitment process) do I have to discocate my ankle!!!!!!! Although luckily I am not in a cast, required surgery or done any real damage to ligaments my ankle is strapped to the 9's and will be for at least the next 3 weeks!! As a result I am unable to drive or wear protective boots (which are both required in order for me to fulfill my work duties) as a result I have been deemed unfit for work (I am required to visit areas throughout the city & inspect sites, due to Health & Safety the boots are required and so is the use of a vehicle to get around) I have therefore been signed off…

    • 2 replies
    • 466 views
  2. stitched
    Started by stitched,

    Hi All, Im a newbie, so please be patient with me I applied for appointment as a Special - passed the paper sift, passed the P.I.R.T and passed the Selection interview only to have my conditional offer of employment withdrawn due to 'further information relating to a third party that HQ are unable to disclose due to Data Protection Act' The only situation that relates to myself in relation to a third party, is a situation that occured in august this year. I am a manager who is responsibel for 300+ staff - and to cut a long story short, i stepped in between 2 employees that started to fight with each other whilst at work - one of these employees took offence to me stop…

    • 19 replies
    • 1.5k views
  3. Dave Pace's Red Army
    Started by Dave Pace's Red Army,

    I am 16 years old and i am currently studying Public Services in Ashton 6th form college. When i have left college i would be looking into recruiting into the police as my goal is to become a dog handler, the reason why i would like to become a dog handler is becuase i have a german shepard [who was on the breeding programme from GMP] and i have always took an interest in the police as i also wanted to become a SOCO, however i have now decided i would like to go into the dog handling side. How do i recruit and do i need a certain grade in my public Services course? How long will it take me from when i recruit to become a dog handler? Any help appreciated. Lee Sweetm…

    • 8 replies
    • 798 views
    Dave Pace's Red Army
  4. dd10
    Started by dd10,

    Hi everyone Like I say, I am really interested in a career in the police. I have work experience coming up, does anyone know of any kind of placements that would benefit me. Also, is there anything else I can do. I have already had talks with lots of police officers in Hampshire about joining and the pros and cons, and have a ruff idea of the training process. I have heard some pretty awful stories about what the job in tails, but it hasn't put me off. I will appreciate any advice thanks

    • 13 replies
    • 1.5k views
    Dave Pace's Red Army
  5. ashbaker
    Started by ashbaker,

    Hi everyone, i've just completed the recruitment process for West Mids, awaiting my start date...i've recently started some temporary work just to earn enough cash to keep me going...it's with Lloyds TSB, they know the score with my situation, i can leave whenever i am required to do so to start training...just wanted some advice on whether i should let recruitment know??? Will they want to obtain a reference, as they've had 4 already??? And if i don't tell them, would that be an error on my part, with regards to honesty?? It's no big deal guys, just wondering if it's worth bothering them???

  6. oldlass
    Started by oldlass,

    I have just got passed the paper application for Fife police and have now been invited to undertake the entrance exam in December. I have been having a go at the specimen papers which are featured on the force website and they seem ok but I just wondered if there was anything else I could be doing to prepare for getting back in the classroom again after 20 odd years. I am a thirty something applicant (well nearer 40 actually) so I have a real task ahead of me against all these youngsters. I really would appreciate all the tips and advice from anyone. Thanks.

    • 0 replies
    • 794 views
  7. joyous214
    Started by joyous214,

    Hi, I am in my 3rd year at uni, and i was looking to apply to join but have no idea about when is a good time to join up or start the application process no where really says how long it takes and when everything starts? I live in richmond looking to go either into the met or surrey police. Thanks for the help

  8. mjeone
    Started by mjeone,

    Given that the police is now a service and not a force, I wonder when this ethos will extend into the recruitment departments. I'm stuck in a situation where I sold my business to prepare for entry into the service. Since then I have been stuck in a cycle of very poorly paid temporary work, as I've been told that the service wants to see good references from every employer for the last ten yrs. My experience is in management and taking a permanent job only to drop them in it a few months down the line is not going to win me a wonderfully write up. My file has been with vetting since the 1st of august, I was told by recruitment that in all likelihood I would start with th…

    • 12 replies
    • 1.2k views
  9. Steve M1546620156
    Started by Steve M1546620156,

    Hi everyone, I'm due to start in Merseyside in December and have been trying to plan ahead. I went down to the bookstore today and had a good look at some Blackstones manuals and have considered buying the cd-rom advertised on police_probationer.com, but I don't know if I need too. Am I likely to be provided with written material relating to the studying I'm doing or am I expected to just listen to what I'm told and buy text if I want to? regards, Steve

    • 3 replies
    • 848 views
  10. Masterwatts
    Started by Masterwatts,

    Hi, Collected all my kit on Monday but so much I don't know where to store it all. When I eventually start work proper do most forces have storage lockers at the station to keep bodyarmour, caps, etc... or does everyone just keep them safe in their homes? Silly question maybe but wife wasn't impressed when I dumped massive bag in the living room! Ha Ha Cheers Jeff

    • 13 replies
    • 1.9k views
  11. andycis
    Started by andycis,

    Hi I am soon to start as a PC and have a few questions regarding pay What is the average take home pay for a starting probationer? I know tax varies greatly from person to person but can anyone offer any rough figures. Also i have heard a lot about pensions and the police federation. I assume both are voluntary but most people, i imagine, pay for the pension. How much does the pension cost you each month? is it as set figure or percentage ? And finally, the police federation. What are the costs invlolved and is it viewed as a beneficial scheme and what are the benefits of subscribing ?

  12. Nicayu
    Started by Nicayu,

    Hi I've just had some great fun writing out that application form. I thought to myself, if the rest of the application process is going to be this much of a laugh, I'd better ask someone about my knee situation. I don't want to go through the whole selection process only to be told (right at the end) "OK, but your knees are knackered". I have had one op on the right knee a few years ago, had a bit of cartillige removed and never had a probelm with it since. I also have an op for my left knee coming up next week, its pretty much the same thing. I've spoke to my consultant about this, and he says that my knees are in good condition and I shouldn't have any f…

    • 9 replies
    • 1.9k views
  13. k1ngy1546620134
    Started by k1ngy1546620134,

    I have just got my date for my ride along so - What can i expect and what questions if any should i take with me without sounding like a plum as i know this is a good oppurtunity to find out as much as i can for my future Thanks

    • 15 replies
    • 1.4k views
    heather871546620155
  14. johnkynaston
    Started by johnkynaston,

    Hi folks , i could do with some help asap please. I know this sounds like a stupid thing to do but in the ongoing nightmare of moving house in the last week or two , i seem to have misplaced the letter upon which was written the date of my A/C. I know it was either tomorrow or Tuesday but cant remember which? Could anyone help me out with the phone number that was on the letter so i can call and check (even though im sure there will be noone there on sundays!) or a number for someone i could check with?? Any help greatly appreciated!

    • 1 reply
    • 322 views
  15. heather871546620155
    Started by heather871546620155,

    Well I have FINALLY got the all clear from my security and background checks and now have a date for my medical for The West Mids, which is next month. It seems that things are finally getting somewhere. Word is that if everything is ok during the medical then I'll have the physical test sometime in January,giving me plenty of time to work on my stamina and speed. Can anyone please advise which form of exercise will help improve me for the physical compentency test.? Any advice would be much appreciated.

    • 4 replies
    • 680 views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.