Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. HarryWestMids
    Started by HarryWestMids,

    hey guys! how you all doing? just another quick question! i passed my fitness test on monday and just waiting for a start date! was wondering should i get any books to get myself prepared before i start?

    • 15 replies
    • 3.2k views
    jemz1546620088
  2. Level42
    Started by Level42 * ,

    This is my first post on this forum. I had my assessment centre on the 14th March at Ryton for West Mercia. I was told my results would be in the post this morning but as I prepared myself found nothing in the post so decided to ring the recruitment team to see how I had done. Over the moon when i was told I had passed. Have to say a massive thank you to the frequent users of this forum as I went into my assessment centre feeling confident that I had worked on all areas of the assessment centre thanks to the advice given. My advice to pass onto anyone would be to not over prepare and just familiarise yourself with the core competencies. Sounds basic but just tell them wh…

    • 3 replies
    • 245 views
  3. hardleyouth
    Started by hardleyouth,

    Hello all! I am 14 and I want to be a Police Officer for my future career, I am starting GCSEs in not too long. So I though I would get some information from the lot that actually do it! So can you tell me whats it like? what do you do? does it pay well? is it difficult? what are the hours like? and just generally what you think of the job and what its like... thank you! chris hardley! :ph34r:

    • 4 replies
    • 989 views
    jemz1546620088
  4. jemz1546620088
    Started by jemz1546620088,

    Having told everyone I can think of I thought I'd post on here too I PASSED MY FIRST YEAR OF UNI! Found out yesterday that all the assignments and presentations had been marked and i've passed the lot! To anyone thats doing the foundation degree, if I can pass it anyone can. Hard work pays off in the end (either that or they mixed my papers up with someone elses!) Apparently the second year is tougher but I don't need to worry about that for a few months. Now to get my head around NOS's...

    • 2 replies
    • 1.2k views
  5. dunkymunky
    Started by dunkymunky,

    Either I'm being very dimwitted, or the information isnt there, but I have a question about the Application Process. Essentially, what is the process? Do you apply to a specific force and have interviews/tests and your training with them, or is there some central 'school' where al lthis is done? What are the tests you have to pass, and what format are they? Do you need a sound knowledge of the law? Once you have successfully passed the tests, where do you train, and what do you do? Are you a beat officer, the tea boy ? Once you've done your training and are a fully fledged officer, do you then have the opportunity to apply to different sections? I particularly want t…

  6. Hooper01
    Started by Hooper01,

    I am thinking about transfering from City Police to Surrey or TVP form better quality of life for my family and I as I spend alot of time just travelling to and from work. If there are any officers out there who have made the move and could give some advice what its like it would be much appreciated. Also if any Surrey or TVP officers can give a low down on what the good and bad points of their force that would also be great. Its a big step for me so could do with all best advice you can spare me. Thanks for your time. Hooper

  7. bstevens
    Started by bstevens,

    Hi everyone, great forum, it's been very useful so far. I've finally finished and sent off my applicaton for Hertfordshire police on 11-12-07, does anyone know A) how they mark the competencies and any details related to the scoring and roughly how long until i hear back from them? The waiting game is not fun! Cheers

  8. BlankMind
    Started by BlankMind,

    I guess as this is my first post I should start by saying 'Hey everyone!' Basically I was wondering if I could get the opinion on my chances of application success from the people who've already gone through the process and serve the force day-to-day. At the moment I'm a 20 year old student in my second year at University. I'm currently studying for my BSc in Physics, however I've recently discovered that I'm not really enjoying the course...at all...I'm seriously considering leaving at the end of my second year and getting a full time job. I've wanted to be in the force since I was tiny but because I was more academic I was never allowed to consider such a career. …

    • 5 replies
    • 945 views
  9. CalvinK

    Thought anyone wanting to apply would like to know :)

    • 1 reply
    • 575 views
  10. Braveheart
    Started by Braveheart,

    The time is getting closer for me practicing answering the application questions and making sure I can complete it to the absolute best of my ability so I can make sure there's no reason to be denied. I have a few questions/concerns: 1. If my application is perfectly adequate and acceptable, is there any reason it won't be accepted? 2. I left school last September and haven't really done much since then work wise; I've been looking for work whilst researching the police and training where I can. Will this hinder me at all? Not really having work-experience. I am a Red Cross first aid volunteer though! 3. Any tips regarding the application? Can't wait to apply and get …

    • 8 replies
    • 929 views
  11. bigpete
    Started by bigpete,

    Hi all I have now finally received my start date (in May), but am a little worried about something. At the end of last year I managed to tear ligaments in my arm, and fracture my chest (2 seperate unfortunate accidents). I am definitely well on the road to recovery, and have no doubt that I will pass the physical again in week 1 of the training. But, I don't think I'd feel comfortable struggling with someone/arresting them etc, or anything too physical - apparently the chest injury could take up to a year to fully heal. At what stage could this become a real issue? I want to be as honest as possible, and like I said I think the physical test will be fine, but I don't w…

    • 8 replies
    • 1.5k views
  12. stu77
    Started by stu77,

    Hi if emailed my competency answers to someone in the know could you check them over??

  13. jodie87
    Started by jodie87,

    Hi All, I'm new to the forum! I know a lot of people have probably already asked this question...but when you send off your application, will you be told if you have been unsuccessful? Or will they only let you know if you have been successful? I'm pretty sure i've done ok... Also how long roughly does it take them to inform you after you've sent in your application? I start my training as a special constable tonight, but thought i would start the regular police application form, as this is what i really want to do and i'm told it can be a long process!! thanks

    • 4 replies
    • 685 views
  14. jemz1546620088
    Started by jemz1546620088,

    How much fitness is there during training? I know you have to complete the fitness test several times throughout probation but are there regular fitness classes? I've heard that Avon and Somerset are doing circuit training once a week, do any other forces do anything similar or do you have to keep up your fitness levels in your own time?

    herewegoagain1546620183
  15. david_kingscott
    Started by david_kingscott,

    I am awaiting my medical date and hopefully soon after fitness date etc and then the big jump! Well i've bought a few books and one that was recommended was 'wasting police time', a true account of one officers experiences whilst been a PC for several years. I know there is good and bad points about any job and i'm sure on the whole it is a rewarding career, but please if you are a currently serving officer and have read this book, can you offer me any advice. I am looking to join West Mids Force.

    herewegoagain1546620183

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.