Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Overtired
    Started by Overtired,

    Hi, I've recently finished the selection process with GMP, I am now waiting for a start date which I hope will be the August intake. Is anyone else here on that intake? I have a few questions if anyone can help. Firstly I am not living in Manchester at the moment, I will be moving back when I get a start date, I am looking to move in with a good friend of mine but he lives in south Manchester. Does anyone here travel from South Manchester to Sedgly Park, how long is it taking you? And is this at rush hour? I'm also keen to find out hours for the training period is Monday to Friday? Does anyone know what I can be doing now to prepare for the training, books, other web…

  2. Timbo797
    Started by Timbo797,

    Got my medical and fitness tomorrow and cant sleep! lol. Anything I should know or be prepared for?? Thanks, Tim

    • 3 replies
    • 143 views
    BertBertBert
  3. halifaxguy
    Started by halifaxguy,

    hey all im going to as some questions: what date is the october intake? how long before the start date do you get the uniform? thanks

  4. DefinatelyMaybe
    Started by DefinatelyMaybe,

    Hi I am due to leave the forces in the next few months, and am seriously considering applying for the police. As I am in the forces I have made a lot of friends and have a really good social life. This is probably the only aspect I'm going to miss!! My question is does being in the police create a lot of social opportunities, and can you have a good social life with other police officers. Any replies from those currently serving, especially any ex-military would be very much appreciated. Thanks Adam

    • 11 replies
    • 954 views
  5. peterg
    Started by peterg,

    Hi, I know this might be a really stupid question so forgive me! When on duty are we allowed to wear sunglasses? I see officers on the fly on the wall documentaries on TV wearing them, but are they "posing" for the cameras? Also what if they get broken on duty? Are we allowed to claim the cost back or is it advisable to buy a cheap nasty pair rather than risk a pair of £150 Ray Bans??? Cheers guys!

    • 14 replies
    • 1.4k views
  6. sussex_cop
    Started by sussex_cop,

    I have just done the fitness test, i.e, I have tested myself outside my home using a downloaded bleep test on to my MP3 player. I measured out the distance of 15 meters using a couple of bamboo sticks. Then I simply plugged in my earphones, pressed play and went for it. Now I am NOT fit at all, I got to level 6, now don't get me wrong, I ws out of breath for sure, but I passed, now I have got to do it for real on the 19th May 2008. Do not worry about it. Oh and I smoke as well, not many though. I just want to put your minds at ease. If I can do it then you can to!!

    jimnicebutdim
  7. Hopefully!
    Started by Hopefully!,

    hello! I have applied to join the WMP and have passed my assessment day and am just waiting for my medical and fitness to come through, however my circumstances have changed and I'd like to stay where I live in Nottingham and was wondering if I can transfer my results to that force?? Any Help would be very much appreciated as I dont want to waste all the hard work ive done so far!

    • 1 reply
    • 131 views
  8. SharpShooter
    Started by SharpShooter,

    Hi all! been a while sine I last posted something here. A while back I almost entered college to take on Forensic Science. For varius reasons that did not happen. Mainly I need a job that gets me out and about. I am 19 years old, I have varius certificates from colleges, and this month, will be starting my 24week level 2 BTECH in Public Services which im told is a good start. As my forum name may suggest I have an interest in firearms, (have done my whole life) it is my ambition to become an Officer, and then progress to a Firearms Officer. Prehaps I am far to ambitious right now, as it feels like a long way away. Some people I have asked about this suggest joining …

    • 16 replies
    • 1.9k views
  9. ScotlandBoy
    Started by ScotlandBoy,

    My question is on the subject of feet but NOT boots for once. I have only the fitness test to pass and hopefully will soon be looking for boots - for which there is a huge amount of info here. In my current job i wear safety boots for 10 hours a day every day and seem to wear out 5 pairs of socks a month. Can anyone give some advice on which socks are most comfortable and don't wear out, as i'm sure people have experienced a similar thing. Cheers

  10. adele87
    Started by adele87,

    I recently passed the a/c and was told withn two weeks. i was sent a questionnaire and filled it in and sent it back. I was wondering how long the security questionnaire took to be passes. I shouldnt have a problem as im only 21 and havent been in any trouble nor my family and havent got debt (apart from student loan which doesnt really count as debt ). I have asked my friends who work for the council and they said security questionnaires take about 6 weeks.Other people has said 6 months. I was wondering if anyone could clarify and does it vary between forces have applied for west midlands force.

    • 0 replies
    • 471 views
  11. superia23
    Started by superia23 * ,

    Hi all! Can anyone tell me what the pass marks needed are to get through the assessment centre stage? I assume they all differ. Thanks to anyone who can help :smiley_notworthy:

    • 5 replies
    • 294 views
  12. ktfloyd
    Started by ktfloyd,

    :smiley_vomit: :smiley_vomit: Just received another letter form Strathclyde to tell me that there have been more changes. Not only has the SET dates been brought forward by two months previously but now will also do the Inital Fitness test on the same night. Was slightly nerves before now I'm petrified!!

    • 100 replies
    • 1.4k views
  13. mikey212
    Started by mikey212,

    Been speaking with a friend of mine who has recently been sacked for "misuse of office equipment" (basically saving files where he shouldnt and sending the odd non work related email). Ive advised him that employers cant give a bad reference but they can give a true reference ie the reason why he was sacked. Whats everyones view on this. He is at the final interview stage and has done pretty well (marks wise) thus far. Will the police consider the sacking in a no tolerance way ie tell him they will not take him on or will they use their discretion (bearing in mind how far he has came and the costs involved to them) He is obviously bricking it at the moment so i said …

  14. TheBrig
    Started by TheBrig,

    Hi I hope some of you wise people can help :-) Ihave been looking through a copy of an application form, in preparation of receiving the actual form and I may have a few issues. Firstly it asks for two references, my current "job" is a stay at home father and has been for the past 3 years so obviously I have no employer and referee. My previous job which ended 3 years ago, I know for a fact that the manager has left the company and I have no idea where, which would also make it difficult to get a referee for that. I assume they must take into account that people move on and it isn't always possible to contact them? Secondly I can account for the last 7 years of employ…

    • 24 replies
    • 1.1k views
  15. chrisking73
    Started by chrisking73,

    Anyone else starting with Essex Police next monday? 9th June...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.