Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. MarkyG73
    Started by MarkyG73 * ,

    Hi all, as the title says I am wondering which forces in the UK still use the 4 on 4 off 12hr shift pattern. I am currently in the PSNI as a response Constable (7yrs service) and worked this pattern for 4 years and loved it and now for various circumstances I am about to transfer to England/Scotland/Wales and if I knew of any forces that still employed this pattern it would seriously sway my decision. I know some areas of the Met use this pattern but they are not recruiting transferees at the minute and have no immediate plans to do so according to their recruitment department. Please help me if you can, I would greatly appreciate it and most force website dont seem to …

    • 3 replies
    • 2.1k views
  2. seanl9103
    Started by seanl9103,

    Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble answering one of the sub questions on one of the competancy questions. I know you can't give me a specific answer, but if you could just give me some general advice, tips, etc that would be great. The question is part of the Race and Diversity competancy. How were you able to adapt what you did to suit the other person ? Please don't give me the usual " if you can't answer this you shouldn't be applying " Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    • 2 replies
    • 522 views
  3. roverfan
    Started by roverfan,

    hi all, ive today just received my vetting forms to fill out and just had a quick question i was hoping someone may be able to answer until i ring recruitment on monday. on the form it mentions abscence from previous employment. i as just wondering what the limtis were with regard to this. now in the last 18 months ive had 4 days off due to illness although 3 of this were with my previous employer who i had worked for, for 13 months the the other in my current role where ive been for 5 months. would the force see this as excessive. any help much appreciated

    • 3 replies
    • 632 views
    bobbydrake501546081223
  4. Danny 30
    Started by Danny 30,

    Hi to all who are at the start of the long haul of applying to be a police officer, why not grab yourself a bargain on ebay, some books I used which came in really handy item no: 320566027971

    • 0 replies
    • 351 views
  5. seanl9103
    Started by seanl9103,

    Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble answering one of the sub questions on one of the competancy questions. I know you can't give me a specific answer, but if you could just give me some general advice, tips, etc that would be great. The question is part of the Race and Diversity competancy. How were you able to adapt what you did to suit the other person ? Please don't give me the usual " if you can't answer this you shouldn't be applying " Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    • 0 replies
    • 486 views
  6. sham91
    Started by sham91 * ,

    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to how I may be able to join the police force. My prefered area of work is in West Yorkshire as I am from Bradford. I have just left college and was studying ICT which has nothing to do with Policing but I thought I would give this ago since its what I used to dream of doing when I was younger. Also I was wondering if I needed to undertake further studies in order to join up e.g Public Services ..... Thanks :)

    • 5 replies
    • 1.2k views
  7. County_homeboy
    Started by County_homeboy,

    Hi guys and girls just in case anyone else is stuck in the system u wont be much longer, i had a phone call today after 7 months of going here, there and everywhere to get my transfer i have been binned prior to a posting panel, due to budget cuts all transfer applications have been cancelled. Oh the ever increasing joys of the governments budget cuts ...... I could say a few choice words right now.

    • 0 replies
    • 674 views
    County_homeboy
  8. roverfan
    Started by roverfan,

    hi all, im just writing this email as was just after some advice. ive recently passed my final interview for lincs and when i originally applied i had put the east division as my 1st choice. however as the application process has gone on i have had a change in mind in which division of lincs id prefer to be based. does anyone know if this is easy to change or do we have to stick with what we put originally on the application form? thanks

    • 2 replies
    • 552 views
  9. griffin dai
    Started by griffin dai * ,

    Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but... I applied for Thames Valley Police some years back and passed the initial tests but then failed on the colour blind test. So that was the end of that! I then joined the Army and served for 8 years with the Welsh Guards, with the last 3 years serving with a covert surveillance unit. Since leaving the Army I got into the private security sector and have been working on and off in both Close Protection and Security roles for the last 6 years. Last year I applied for South Wales Police and didn't even get past the application stage. I know SWP don't recruit very often and therefore must get a high volume of applicants …

    • 4 replies
    • 7.3k views
  10. Lee1231546620547
    Started by Lee1231546620547,

    Hi All I thought i would start this topic for all the applicants who are suffering from the dreaded budget cuts - so we can all be kept up to date and chat to others in same position. I applied for Notts police in Jan 2009 and was all but complete and had a start date of November the 1st with it all cancelled and put on hold just last friday. GUTTED!! Currently waiting to hear if this is end of the line or if they will do at least one more intake before cancelling all applications leaving us all back to square one. Good luck and fingers crossed to everyone else in the same position.

    Bravo Sierra +
  11. jamo1545925601
    Started by jamo1545925601,

    Transferred Met application to Hampshire and had 'final interview' on weds...........found out today passed it. Was only three of us at interview tho. Letter states could be some wait, but application will definately progress! Ecstatic to be back in the mix, anyone else done similar?? From Hants anyway so quite happy to be staying in area.

    • 3 replies
    • 579 views
  12. mariakirk
    Started by mariakirk,

    I am 31 years old with 2 children and a very supportive husband, I have not worked for the past 10 years as I made the desicion to become a full-time mum when my first son was born! My previous jobs have all been office based, but being a police officer has always remained my dream job! I have a couple of questions: Before I met my husband I was on benefits and racked up about 8000 worth of debts, I defaulted quite a bit a couple of years ago as I couldn't afford to pay the debts and therefore decided to get my debts sorted by using a debt management company. I am now on a debt management programme which suits me perfectly and have not defaulted since. …

  13. Aldo1546620664
    Started by Aldo1546620664 * ,

    Just spoken to a mate who had his S.E.T for the 29th July he got a letter from Strathclyde today telling him he has to re-apply when recruiting starts again. Ive past my test and was told by Jackton to wait for the freeze to be lifted for a first fitness date. I was told over the phone that I had past and I wouldn't have to apply or sit the test again but i'll reserve judgement untill the letter comes through the door. I would like some thoughts and if people could try to stay to the facts. Does anyone think people at such an early stage of the process will have to re-appy? Thanks. A

    • 2 replies
    • 502 views
    Aldo1546620664 *
  14. engage
    Started by engage * ,

    Hi Guys, Just a quick email to catch up with anyone in the same situation as me at the moment (or worse)? Currently stuck in limbo now because of the Strathclyde Police recruitment freeze!, just about to do my fitness! does anyone have any update on what'll happen and how long this freeze will last? I'm absolutely gutted about the freeze and wondering what everyone else has heard?? All the best guys, keep motivated!!

    • 15 replies
    • 3.9k views
  15. Mike798184
    Started by Mike798184,

    Hi there This time in two weeks I will have finished my initial training. Today we got given our SOLAP which has made it all the more daunting. At the moment I have a mixture of excitement and fear and the general consensus is that training school hasn't/can't have prepared us enough for what lies ahead. I keep telling myself that like any job, the only way you learn is by doing it. However, not every job carries the weight of expectation like this one. I am confident I can do it but right now my head feels blagged and things like paperwork just seem like a massive hurdle to jump. Can those who felt the same after their first 21 weeks or however long please assure me?

    • 6 replies
    • 1.4k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.