Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regulars

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the police service as a regular officer that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Murray1546620195
    Started by Murray1546620195,

    Hi, If you fail the fitness test, I was told you are allowed another 2 attempts at it. When do these next attempts take place? Is it straight away, or do you get some time to prepare?

      • Like
    • 22 replies
    • 1.8k views
  2. pathfinder1546620165
    Started by pathfinder1546620165 * ,

    Hi I am preparing myself for recruitment into the police, I am 42 years old and very streetwise, fit and healthy, I do have a criminal record, nothing major silly things as I was growing up and have now come to realise that I was always meant to be a police officer! I have some prominent tattoos of which I am undergoing laser treatment for their removal. I really feel that I have so much to offer in the field of policing and am a totally honest and loyal person, I want to join up to help make a difference in society and my ultimate goal is to eventually go into the road policing unit. I really do want this and am going to dedicate the time to come to prepare for a succ…

    pathfinder1546620165 *
  3. alfie25
    Started by alfie25,

    Hi all, I have applied to two forces with the first being Lancashire and then more recently GMP and failed the vetting Stages on both occasions. I currently work for the civil service, and I have a clean record and think I failed the vetting stages due to my brothers dodgy past. Hopefully soon I'll be joining the Prison Service to become a Prison Officer. Am I right in thinking that this would enhance my prospects of passing the vetting to join the Special constabulary? Many thanks

  4. DBRG
    Started by DBRG,

    OK - so here's my own timeline: Applied to Dorset, Sept '09 Failed papersift, Dec '09 Started PLC course, Brooklands College, Jan '10 Applied to Surrey, May '10 Applied to Met Specials, May '10 Passed Surrey papersift, June '10 Passed Met Specials Day 1, June '10 Passed Met Specials Day, 2 June '10 Passed PLC exam (92%), July '10 Began Met Specials training July '10 Attested Met Specials, Sep '10 Passed Surrey fitness, Sept '10 Began patrols with Met Sept '10 Passed assessment centre (68%), Oct 10 Surrey vetting and medical forms returned, Oct 10 Surrey vetting - TBA Surrey medical - TBA (Dec 3rd) It all seems pretty full-on when I write it down and, …

    • 5 replies
    • 1k views
  5. Malb
    Started by Malb,

    Firstly this is my first post so be gentle with your responses, i am currently in my last few years of service with the Army and would like to try to become a police officer. My main concern is the tattoos i have had since first joining the Army many moons ago, i have a large dragon & chineese dragon on my right forearm and a celtic design on the inside of my right arm none of which i would consider offenceive however i have a spider web on each elbow(What was i thinking) and dont really know how people would view these. My question is do you know anyone who has similair designs and how they have got off on there selection process? Any positive comm…

    • 2 replies
    • 994 views
  6. cheeseranger
    Started by cheeseranger,

    I am currently looking to make a move to British columbia but trying to get into a police department is proving slightly harder. has anybody any knowledge of any police deapartment that are recruiting over seas officers, and assisting with the immigration process.. I know calgary (Alberta) have finished a process earlier this year. this is as far north as i would go i think any help would be much oblidged cheesereanger

  7. ArranMinshell
    Started by ArranMinshell,

    Hey everyone, i can't speak for every force hear but all over the westmidlands police force the 'cutbacks' have made sure they won't be recruiting for about 4 years (So iv'e heard anyway) Does anybody who works for the westmidlands police knowhow long it will actually be (use a professional estimation if you have to) and another question, because of the recruitments situation can you still do training at the moment or will that only be when they start recruiting .. ?

  8. Daisie
    Started by Daisie * ,

    Hi, An old friend of mine Sean Hanley i know joined the police force or should i say i assume he did as he passed his policing exam, now i have been trying to track him down for quite some time with no luck, now i know you would be able to give me any information regarding him obviously, but if you were able to tell him an old friend Liesel Vaughan (Daisie) is trying to contact him and really could use him as a friend if he will have me, hes the one person who could cheer me up right now and trust me i could use that right about now. If you cant do anything i completely understand as you are very very busy people and gotta say all the police people are doing a great job.…

  9. ArranMinshell
    Started by ArranMinshell,

    Hey everyone, could everybody please post some key powers for Constables and some key warnings they will HAVE to know. Such as... Section 59 - Road Traffic Act - Inconsiderate and Dangerous driving. Section 4 - Road Traffic Act - unfit to drive whilst under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Section 26 - Criminal Evidence - An officer may take someone to the police station for questioning. Section 5 - Public Order Act - Disorderly Conduct - Discriminating or offensive Jestures / Language. Section 23 - Missuse of drugs Act - Found carrying an illegal Substance. and so on... thank's everyone.

    kester1546080880
  10. seanie
    Started by seanie * ,

    hello ive applied for a IT role at surrey police but i have failed the vetting process, i cannot think of anything apart that my brother had spot of bother with the police about 25 yrs ago. I didnt put this down as i dont know if it came to anything. Im only in contact with my sister & brother, mother passed away 2yrs ago & i see my father one a yr if that. Ive sent them a e-mail asking them to detail why i have failed but yet to recieve a reply, does anyone know how long it takes for a reply how long the appeal process will take? Ive seen some info on here regarding the home office circular 051/2003, im in the process of gaining character references as well. …

    • 2 replies
    • 2.9k views
  11. blowcubanlady
    Started by blowcubanlady,

    Hi all, I am currently being vetted and received a phone call today from a vetting officer asking me questions about my family and my husband. I'm conscious that my family may well have skeletons in the closet and this could affect my vetting. Personally I have nothing to worry about. The cynic in me is curious as to whether failure to pass vetting could be a good reason to terminate your application just because you don't seem like a suitable applicant regardless of passing everything else, I'm not suggesting that's the case but it's definitely a consideration. So my question is, has anyone who has failed the vetting process actually managed to successfully appeal …

    • 10 replies
    • 3.5k views
  12. mizzdassy
    Started by mizzdassy * ,

    Hi, i have applied to be a special with TVP twice and failed my vetting both times. i then started studying Police and Criminal Justice Studies at the University of Northampton. Part of my course is to become a Special for Northampton, so again i applied and again i failed my security clearance. i have passed my fitness test, medical, application, paper sift, interview. My vetting is all that is stopping me. i am very lucky, my tutor is an inspector for Northampton and he found out the reason was because my parents house was raided 6 years ago- when i was 15. The computer, laptop and digital camera was taken, no arrests made and my parents were never even questioned,…

  13. Marricked
    Started by Marricked,

    I have just recently passed the interview stage following my application to become a Special Constable. Back in July of this year I was violently assaulted which resulted in me been admitted into hospital for 6 days and suffered from anxiety (Post traumatic stress disorder) for the following couple of weeks once out of hospital. I have not been treated for this since and I am back to my "normal" self now, but do you think this will be a problem when brought up during the medical? My life ambition is to get into the police force and if I don't get in as a consequence of the assault I'll understandably be absolutely gutted!

    • 5 replies
    • 735 views
  14. vic2312
    Started by vic2312 * ,

    Today, i have received a letter from SWP to say that due to the current economic climate, they will no longer be proceeding with my application... I applied for SWP in NOV 2008...i passed the assessment centre, passed my fitness and passed my medical - i only had my medical 3 weeks ago and today, they tell me they are not recruiting... I am absolutely furious...i have been waiting 2 years for this opportunity, to be told that they are no longer recruiting and if i wish to reapply, i will have to go through the process again... I was 36 when i applied, i am now 38.... this is so unfair, basically, my life has been on hold for the past 2 years and I would welcome some a…

    • 9 replies
    • 1.4k views
    sykes1545925530
  15. Louise!
    Started by Louise!,

    Hi there! Not posted for a while but here goes! After being accepted into the January 2010 intake for GMP last year I was delighted only to be told I was on hold like many others! I have now (again like many others) been told my application is terminated because it has become "outdated". I have been looking into becoming a special but with my current job I just dont think id be able to provide enough hours... After looking around at other careers I have now decided this IS the only thing I want to doand Im willing to sell up ad relocate to any force which is recruiting new officers. On the Police could you website you used to be able to view all foreces and find ou…

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.