Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Topstar
    Started by Topstar,

    Dear All, I am looking for a little insight into the world of becoming a Special. I have just got through the paper sift process of the application and am now very excited by the next stage. I am hoping to speak to a current special about their experiances and my father was in the police force for over 30 years. I am doing this because i would like to eventually become a police officer myself. I think there is no greater insight than talking to someone that has just come through the process themselves and was wondering if anyone on this forum was in that situation? If so i would greatly like to speak to you. Kind Regards, Matt

  2. buffalojack1
    Started by buffalojack1,

    Hello all, I've been a Special Constable in Norfolk for two years and I'm transferring to Essex in a few months. Does anyone have any personal experience of Essex Police as a Special or have any comments regarding the force? Norfolk Specials get treated very well by the constabulary and I was wondering what people thought of Essex in terms of shift availability, responsibilities, supervision, respect etc. Also, does Essex use dutysheet? Let me know your views on what to expect.

    • 2 replies
    • 448 views
  3. xAbz91x
    Started by xAbz91x,

    I have just been looking through the threads about background checks...and I know that they look into your family's history, so I was just wondering if my mother has recently got a CCJ against her name would that go against me?? It might sound a daft question, but I thought I would ask... Thankyou abbie

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 593 views
  4. antz
    Started by antz,

    Hi, My name is Antony and I am 18, I found out about this forum as I am a part of the "UK Police online" forum, I'm currently at Northumberland college doing a BTEC course in Uniformed Public Services level 3, I've got 1 more year to go and I would really like to apply for the Police Force once it is finished, however I do not think I have enough experience to pass the recruitment stage for a Police Constable because of my age and lack of experience. Here is where this forum comes into it, I would like to ask a few questions about becoming a Special Constable, so here it is, do you need to have a lot of experience to become a Special Constable, would it be likely for me…

    • 7 replies
    • 644 views
  5. Becky_1234
    Started by Becky_1234,

    Hi all, I applied to West Mercia specials last year I passed my assesment centre and then sent them my medical forms. They sent me a letter back telling me they had put my application on hold for 6 months as my BMI was too low. Then 3 months into that 6 months I withdrew my application, which was so stupid of me as it was my chance to see if I'd like the job as I've always wanted to join as a regular. So does anyone know if me withdrawing my application would affect another application with West Mercia? Thanks to all who can help me becky x

    • 4 replies
    • 554 views
  6. Anthony190
    Started by Anthony190,

    Can anyone give a brief outline about what happens at the roleplay assessments for the regulars, I have heard very little about them so im just looking for personal experiences or what people know about them. Apparently theyre supposed to be stressful and reasonably difficult, I was advised that because im a special and a call taker for hantspol that i have an advantage of dealing with difficult people and resolving issues....dont know how true this is.... So, what experiences you have or what stories have you hear??

    • 1 reply
    • 500 views
  7. supermancss
    Started by supermancss,

    filling out my application and it says: "you must complete all sections of this form in person, in either black ink or type-face." does this type-face mean it can be typed on the computer? Things leading me to believe no: - Competencies part says "please write clearly and concisely and pay attention to your spelling, handwriting, punctuation and grammar, as these will be assessed"

      • Like
    • 16 replies
    • 866 views
  8. golf-uniformvictor
    Started by golf-uniformvictor,

    OK, we are in an age of non-discrimination, but what is the reality? What is the oldest age that you were (or know of someone) recruited into the regulars. For clarity, this doesn't include persons transferring, returning or Military Police to Civilian.

    • 4 replies
    • 632 views
  9. nealsianleah11
    Started by nealsianleah11,

    I am applying to be a Special Constable, whilst i'm writing my application the question "Why I want to be a Special Constable", would it be wise to recount some of my experiences in the answer about my brothers addiction aswel as the tickboxes answers? Or would my brothers situtaion hinder my chances.

    • 2 replies
    • 611 views
    nealsianleah11
  10. hopeless_place
    Started by hopeless_place,

    Am I write in saying a Special can become a Sergent? I remember hearing this in the information evening. If so, how do specials go about it. What do they need to do. And most importantly whats in it for the special?

      • Like
    • 17 replies
    • 1k views
    killicksparker
  11. John50
    Started by John50,

    Hi all I am about to submit my application with Northumbria Police, and I have a couple of questions that I would like to please put to you all. For the past three years I have been serving with the Royal Naval Reserve. Would I have to resign from the RNR before submitting my application form to Northumbria Police, or resign later from the RNR if I was successful in joining as a special constable,or is it permissible to serve as both a special constable and as a naval reservist at the same time? I have been vetted at BC/SC/CTC security levels with the RNR, is the vetting level required for the roll of special constable as this same vetting level or higher? Since g…

      • Like
    • 5 replies
    • 802 views
  12. Immigration Doge
    Started by Immigration Doge,

    Ok, I've just had this from Kent Police: Now, I applied back in June last year and got through to the assessment centre stage (failed) but the checks had passed. Between JUNE and NOW, I haven't been arressted / charged / convicted of anything and I'm pretty sure I haven't joined AQ (unless I've been sleep walking again) so what the bloody hell? I'll be honest... it's actually frightened me EDIT: Spellingz

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 711 views
    Immigration Doge
  13. anonymo
    Started by anonymo,

    I have my standard entrance test next week and was just wondering if anyone knows of any sample papers online? I have done one but I keep coming across the same one and can't seem to find any others, perhaps because there aren't any? Thank you

    • 1 reply
    • 411 views
    Marty McFly1546081284
  14. Will Memmi
    Started by Will Memmi,

    Hello, I just registered to this forum as it seemed really useful to have a look what people think about recruitment. But I'm wondering if anyone can help me on knowing if there is anything I need to concentrate on for the recruitment process. Will

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 574 views
    Mike D1546081335 +
  15. Drich
    Started by Drich,

    Had a quick search but couldn't find anything, so if its out there could you hit me with the link For starters I just like to plan ahead, so this isn't a situation I am going into right now. If you go to a Day 1 interview for a PC role, currently being a special, and use examples from just your experience out on the beat as a SC, will that effect how they mark? So do they want you to use experiences from you day job as well, or would it not really matter?

    • 1 reply
    • 407 views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.