Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
One that I thought Bout yesterday one the way home. Woman whilst driving is wearing hijab, you look over to see she is talking but no one else in her vehicle. She has both hands on the wheel. You pull into lane 3 to over take and see she has a mobile tucked into her headscarf so it's wedged against her ear. You stop her and she claims what's the difference between that and a booth tooth head set. Would you still issue an FPN(e)? My answer is yes, as you've still got control of the phone using a body part ( your head) it could slip and distract the driver. I'd almost liken it to wedging it against your ear and shoulder
-
On my way back home the other night there was an Audi R8 behind me with only its daytime running lights on......Just wondering what the law is on this? Any offences committed and are they classed as side lights only!? They are bright but being LED's they don't project the light far, people can see him but surly he can't see the way properly in the dark? Anyone have ideas/opinions on this? Cheers!
-
This is a scenario which happened to me and I have just found out the result of when it went to court. Male 1 is on a night out with friends in the city centre. Has a verbal altercation with someone over the road, very minor and both parties walking away. Another unknown male comes into the picture, he punches Male 1 in the side of the head causing instant dizzyness and seeing stars. Then straight after puts a cigarette butt out on the face (on the cheek) of male 1. This has left a small scar and took 6months to start to fade. Incident caught on CCTV. What offences would you have arrested for and expect to be taken to court? With what i've been told, I am not a happy b…
-
OK so you're on patrol in a marked vehicle. You see a driver using their handheld mobile phone whilst driving. Just as you put the blues on to stop them, they pull onto their driveway, nip out of their car, and into the house, slamming the door behind them. You knock on the door but nobody answers. What are you going to do?
-
I have no idea if this is actually true (but only because I haven't bothered to look it up)...I just thought it was interesting, and a convoluted scenario worthy of some regular contributors to the 'Scenario City' Forum (you know who you are) !!
-
Hi bit of a random question but I'm interested to see what the opinions are. I was driving (normal speed 30mph) along a long and straight road. On the other side, a double decker bus stopped to let off passengers. I saw a young man start crossing the road behind the bus, which was almost right next to me at this point. I slowed down, and as my window was slightly down, he screamed 'CHELSEA' as I went past. As I wasn't expecting it, it shocked me so much I shrieked (yes, that's right) and carried on. My question is, what were to happen if the shock had made me so scared that I had crashed my car into another parked/moving car or even veer to the curb? It freaked me ou…
-
You're double crewed in vehicle with stopping capabilities, and you see a driver drive past you at a junction having a conversation on his mobile phone. You both see it so you cause that car to stop... The driver gets out very angry at being stopped, and you explain you saw him on his mobile phone and would he take a FPN for it or would he like his day in court etc etc. The driver however disputes even having a mobile phone on him. By this stage the phone is indeed nowhere to be seen however you are both 100% you saw him using it as he drove past. Knowing the word of 2 police officers SHOULD be enough in court do you just report? Or do you go down some other route to en…
-
Hi All, Whilst reading another thread I was trying to rack my brains for what search power (or if there even is one) could be used if we saw somebody using a camera outside a school and we suspected they had photographs of the children on? Or any other example that would fit!! Cheers,
-
Looked at my Facebook feed tonight and the first thing I see is someone has posted a warning to people that the Police are doing routine stop checks on vehicles in an area known for boy racers to gather and speed up and down the stretch of road. Are any offences committed in doing so? The disappointing thing is the boy who has done so wants to be in the Police.
-
Here's the scenario: A driver stops their car when they see a two vehicle RTC, we'll call him Bob. One of the drivers involved in the RTC is out of their vehicle and a bit hysterical. Bob gets out and calms down the driver. It is raining and they are cold, so Bob gets a blanket our of the back of his car and seats the woman in the back of his new Range Rover to warm up. The emergency services arrive and start to treat the injured. The driver that is currently sat in the back of Bob's car starts complaining of neck pain and so the ambulance service recommend fire take the roof of Bob's new range rover. Bobs categorically says that they cannot do this. What right do…
-
Hi, basically ive just been thinking of something. Im 18 nearly 19 and i have a lot of friends past and present who use drugs, mainly weed. my big question is, if you come across them in the street someone you know, first off can you use the fact that you know them to be a regular user as grounds for a search (surely it could be seen as intelligence) if you cant then what if you were to call in anonymously to make it official intel? or even if you had normal grounds should you stop and search them? more to the point would you? this hasnt happened and i think in general if i saw someone id try and make sure they didnt see me simply so i didnt have to bother with it but im …
-
Hi there, I am not a current serving Special or Police Officer, i am simply in the application process for a Special at the moment (touch wood). I have been mugged twice in the past 4 years, both times outnumbered either 2-1 or 3-1, which i think is quite cowardly, but i guess you shouldnt expect the criminals to play fairly. My question is: As a MOP or as a off duty constable, lets say someone is trying to mug you, and maybe you have already handed over you stuff, and the guy is very aggressive and you reckon a beating is on the cards, are pre-emptive strikes acceptable?, and how much force would be frowned upon?, as it would always be tempting to give said attacker a…
-
Hey ho, I'm sure that as this topic title probably makes very little sense you've been intrigued enough to come and have a look at my post! I'll try and make myself a clear as possible... I was wondering, if you make an arrest, using the caution and everything, are you the one who follows it through to the end? Theres no arresting someone for someone? Another example being - you walk into a shop, lets say off duty (yay, can 'o worms time) a man punches a shop assistant and takes some money and runs straight into you... Do you arrest him on suspicion or robbery or detain him until other officers arrive - if you arrest him do you do anything different than detain him?…
-
a female post a number to pictures on facebook, all in the public domain. A male who is unknown to the female but has the same friends sees the pictures and post links or comments on the pictures to other friends, with comments about the photos but nothing rude. Can this be a case of stalking, he is only commenting on the picture although he has viewed all the pictures on her face book account
-
Hi guys, this has been put to me and I don't seem to have a right answer. Imagine the following scenario: The police are chasing an offender down a busy street. A member of public tries to help the police by pulling out and blocking the getaway car. If the offender crashes into the member of public ''trying to help'', and damages the car, does this just become a simple 'insurance claim' or would the police help? I have a feeling that the police would do nothing to help the member of public as it was not their duty to intervene in the first place. Any thoughts?