Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
The background is the current Julian Assange scenario. If you don't know, he has claimed and been granted political asylum in the Ecuador Embassy. Whilst inside the Embassy, police can not enter to arrest him. If he leaves the embassy he can be arrested unless he manages to get into a Diplomatic car first or he is hiding in a Diplomatic bag (which can be any shape and size but must be marked as such). Mr Assange is currently arrestable for breach of bail and an international arrest warrant. (This is all publicly available info) You are on duty outside the Ecuador Embassy when you notice two men in reflective clothing carrying a large cooler box (unmarked) out of the buil…
-
Me and ny colleague were discussing a situation after seeing quite a few obese officers during a fitness test. Situation: you and obese colleague arrive at train station as a person wants to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train. You arrive and the person is on the other platform waiting for the chance to end it. Whilst running over the bridge which is the only way to get across to the other platform your obese colleague drops and is potentially having a heart attack. Who do you help / what do you do next? My friend said he would help the colleague, I cane up with a solution to help both but probably would have been shouted at by a senior officer afterwards …
-
Having this argument with a colleague in my own job. On the motorway and your sitting in the outside lane doing 70mph, there's cars behind you obviously wanting to overtake by exceeding the speed limit - would you be guilty of an offence?. And if said person undertook you, crashed and died would you be guilty of an offence ? E.g. Manslaughter?.
-
Not really a scenario as this happened the other day but interested to see the different views and what should be done were the letter of the law to be followed... A van has broken down on a roundabout, this roundabout is on an A road and traffic is backing up in multiple directions. Obviously the van is too heavy for the van driver to push out of the way on his own but if a Police vehicle is passing would they have a duty to stop and help? I'm not sure if officers are obliged to do so but even if not the public perception of Police being there to help would be damaged were an officer to drive by. What actually happened was the officer drove past and went into the Pol…
-
I've just attested, but haven't had my induction on borough yet, so I am as new as they come. I have used my warrant card for a few journeys on the tube but always worry that one of the following would happen, so I'm putting the scenarios to you. 1. Difficult traveller Someone at the barriers who's being difficult with the staff (swearing so s. 5 POA) most likely is they 1. don't have a ticket or 2. don't want a fine. You show your warrant card to get through and they ask you to help out. What would you do? (who would you call, what powers would you use, what would happen after arrest if they carried on kicking off, where would you take them etc...? EAB?) 2. Diffi…
-
Well I just had this happen to me. Driving home from a friends house in the middle of a town and randomly come across a tree in the middle of the road. Pulled over and thought, who the hell do I call? It was only partially in the road, well lit area, easy to see and easy to avoid if need be, but nonetheless, in the road. I ended up opting for 101, in hindsight maybe not the best choice. But anyway two calls and a lot of waiting and nobody picked up except a silly DPP hello message. Does 101 work at night?! Anyway its A level results night and knew a lot of bobbies would be around town so drove round the corner to the pub area. Came across an unmarked car not further th…
-
Something I witnessed today but don't have any clarification just what I saw. I work in a business park in Rochester and on the way into my estate there is a big base for a German haulage company. On the way to lunch today I saw about 4 or 5 guys running along the main road and corralling 2 people that looked Mexican to me but I'm going with Hispanic as that seems more fitting. The chaps corralling them were wearing orange Hi-vis with the company logo and where walking them back into the business site area. One chap put hands on when one of them hesitated, not aggressively but to 'guide' him back. I then got some lunch and on the way back another couple of guys in the s…
-
Morning, Just a scenario I came across the other day. Went to a job RE theft of some light fittings. The aggrieved was the owner of the property who was renting out his house. The person reporting the "theft" was the rental agent. Right here goes.... Apparently a few years ago the couple who lived in the rented property had asked permission of the owners to change a number of light fittings with the property. This was agreed to by the owner with the proviso that the fitting were kept safe in the loft as they were very valuable family heirlooms. All well and good. They have recently moved out and the light fitting cannot be found in the house. The couple have bee…
-
One of my Managers is over eager at stopping shoplifters, We had some the other day who managed to get to there van and drive off, with the stock spewed all across the carpark... But he said next time, if hes quicker he will get up there and grab there keys through the window to stop them getting away. Firstly I know it isn't safe at all, they could still drive off and he'd lose and arm, or worse.. But my query is, does anyone have the power to take keys out of a motor vehicle to stop them escaping, if an offence has been committed?
-
I hate cold calling. I expect its not illegal as such, but would there be anything that would potentially stop peddlers knocking on your door?
-
I would like to see if at a roundabout where this circumstance would arise who may be at fault in a traffic collision. I have a roundabout in my town which has a dual carriageway entering a roundabout and a dual carriageway exiting directly over the other side. Two lanes of traffic can take this exit. On more than one occasion, when traveling in parallel with another car and myself being in the left hand lane the car to my right has cut directly across my path causing me to emergency stop. Most recently about 10 minutes before this post. I wouldn't mind finding out if. - Who would be at fault in a traffic collision? - What offence if anything would be committed? Dri…
-
-
is a special on duty all the time like a regular police officer?
-
You come across two people arguing in the streets. Its very heated. One tries punching the other, the other dodges and then restrains him. Your about 5-10 seconds away and you started running in as soon as you saw the punch thrown. Would you arrest both men, only one, and why/why not?
-
Following on from the Secrets of a Shoplifters thread, and the male who stole a used VHS tape from a charity shop and used the 'defence', he was going to watch it and bring it back - thereby possibly eliminating the permanent deprivation element of the theft offence. What if said male, left a note saying "I've borrowed your tape and I'll bring it back". Store staff are still unaware, the tape was previously used and no further damage/wear and tear will be caused. Does this then lead to significant reasonable doubt? The proverbial "get out of jail free card"?