Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
When a prisoner comes into custody fingerprints are taken everytime. The prisoner is perfectly compliant and willing to do the printing themselves (I.e. follow the instructions on screen). They are also doing this properly. Now the officer taking the prints can use "reasonable" force to do so. Would it be unlawful, in the above circumstances, to lay hands on the prisoner and do it for them? Situation happened today, I think I know the answer but I'm not 100% confident. Reasons to follow...
-
While out walking (in the countryside) I often carry a 2.5 inch lock knife (I used to do a lot of scrambling and had it to cut away kit if I got stuck. I have never had to use it for that but it is quite handy for a lot of other things) It is not on display and I am very careful with it so it shouldn't ever happen, but .... I have always assumed the "just in case" excuse would be sufficient if I was ever stopped by the police with it while walking as I would be happy to let a walker on his or her way with a small lock knife if I ever stopped one. But as was pointed out to me the other day, I wont ever be stopping myself so its irrelevant what I would do in the situatio…
-
Something I have come across in the past few weeks is a rise in the amount of Eastern European drives / riders who have bought a vehicle in the UK and due to high insurance etc in the UK they have exported the bike / vehicle to their own countries and registered them in their mates names there and insured them. They then bring them back over here within a month or so and drive about on them. (with the old UK VRM tax disc displayed.) I just wondered what other offences apart from registration offences they commit. I can't find anything that defines DVLA's interpretation of Permanent export. Any ideas?
-
I have been looking into random things and thought this would be a good crime to post about You're at University and you notice a very pretty girl, evetually you get talking and have so much in common; You then eventually have sex with her (consensual both over 18). Afterwards she tells you her dad is King William of the United Kingdom (I know he's not king yet but let's ignore that) What is the Crime ? I shall tell you if nobody knows.
-
I understand it's an offence to smoke in a commercial vehicle. I see this all the time, but what would happen if the person you gently point out this out to tells you to stuff it? What would you do?
-
Apologies if something similar has been posted before. You are an off duty constable (special or reg, no matter) enjoying a night out at a bar/club with some mates. You go to the toilet at some point in the evening and another patron is in the toilet. They offer to sell you some class A and you politely decline. What's the correct course of action here? I know what I'd likely do but want some alternate views. Ta!
-
You are part of a plain clothes operation working in a 'red light' area and your job is to identfy and stop 'kerb crawlers'. You have a marked vehicle in the area, who you call upon to perform the 'stops'. You have stopped several vehicles containing lone male drivers during the evening, who are obviously 'kerb crawling' in the area. You have dealt with them by way of summons for soliciting, as they had obviously stopped, spoken to and attempted to solicit the prostitutes or plain clothes female officer working the streets. Some drivers had not stopped to speak to any prositutes or the female officer, but were seen driving slowly past several times. These drivers wer…
-
Evening all, I witnessed a car driving past a red traffic light to allow a police car through, the police car was behind it with lights/sirens flashing away. My question is with this being marylebone road in London with a lot of traffic lights and red light cameras how would the motorist stand if he got a ticket through for crossing the red light? I've seen it before where the police/emergency vehicles turn off the sirens which I presume is an attempt at not pressuring the motorist through a red light. Is it ok to go through a red light for an emergency vehicle? (I'm not an officer so afraid I can only comment on what I've experienced)
-
This is happening to me just now, and has been reported to the police but how would you deal with it? The guy keeps calling the flat, early morning or late at night, saying that he is watching the flat and that he knows when we're in. He states that he see us move around and stated "are you sure your windows are locked". Recently took a more sinister turn when he asked us to start providing sexual acts for him and to him. This is when the police were contacted. After the first couple i just thought it was a wrong number, but it began getting more sinister. My provider and I are going down the route of banning unkown numbers calling the flat but this can take up to a we…
-
Bonjour everyone :new_shades: Right myself and a fellow student at uni had this debate today and wanted to get some feedback on what a serving police officer would do in the following situation. Its 23:00 and you are on patrol with another police officer when you get some intel on a illegal rave party that's taking place at a near by abandoned warehouse (drugs maybe present). You decided to attend and see what is going on . You arrive to find that the warehouse is full of young people, dancing & drinking. At this stage what would you do ? okay this what I would do IF I was a fully warranted police office I would ask the DJ if I could speak on the mega phone thi…
-
A person's foot is trapped by a heavy metal object below water, the victim is in a river and the water level is rising. He WILL drown unless you do something. A farmer appears with only fencing material, wood saw hammer, etc. no vehicle or means of communication and he is at least 2 miles from his home. You can't get a signal on your mobile to call anyone for help, the water level is now rising rapidly and time is running out. You have tried to release the victim's foot, but it is impossible. Could you, would you use the wood saw to remove his foot? (This is a moral, not a legal question).
-
As the majority of specials don't have lockers and a lot of regulars tend to take their equipment home where would one stand with using a baton against an armed intruder. Obviously the general public are not allowed to have or use friction batons so I'd be interested to see where the law stands with an off duty officer using it. So say for example you're woken in the early hours of the morning to a crashing downstairs, you grab your baton go downstairs to find a lovely gentlman in a ski masks brandishing a knife at you, if you were to use your baton against them (assuming you use it accordingly as you would in uniform) how would this stand, legally?
-
A cleaner in a supermarket has found a £50 note on the floor whilst sweeping the floor, She is adamant that she will not hand it in to her supervisor/manager, but keep it until she goes to her local police station later in the day. You 'overhear' the conversation whilst you are doing your shopping. The manager recognises you as an off duty officer and asks you to intervene. What action would you take / advice would you give, to both parties?
-
You have been appointed as the head of a Royal Commission on Policing. Your remit is to ensure operational policing (uniforms/equipment/tactics/rank structure/deployment/force structure) is up to date. A key part of your remit is to look at other jurisdictions police forces and see if there is anything to bring into British policing from abroad. You have a limited power to bring in recommendations for legislative change also, however this must be specifically linked to police powers and not the UK law in general. What are your provisional recommendations bsed on the above remit?
-
Probably a fairly obvious question, but what offence could someone be committing if they are smoking a cigarette whilst driving? I'm just curious as I see so many people doing it (more than I see on their phones I'd say), but I imagine they pose the same dangers. TIA