Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
Evening all! As we all know an arrest requires necessity, one of which is to allow for a prompt and effective investigation and that arresting solely to interview is often not justified (not always - e.g. serious or complex crimes etc) and that voluntary interview should be used in these circumstances if possible. I have been playing through various scenarios in my head to determine if I feel P&E would possibly apply to them and just wanted to see what other people's thoughts/rationale were. So without further ado I have made up a range of scenarios below. I am interested to see what peoples thoughts are on them and if they would arrest or dispose of in anothe…
-
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5cd_1405344243 The video appeared in the Polish news today. The 50-year-old man was acting aggressively, breaking two shop windows and damaging 13 cars. He was armed with a hammer, crowbar, meat tenderiser and a metal pipe. When the police arrived, they ordered him to drop his weapons, and he threw the tenderiser towards the police car, damaging its roof. The man also provoked the police, shouting "Shoot" repeatedly. The police eventually shot him, after 16 warning (or missed?) shots. The man now has a serious knee injury. What do you guys think about what the police performance in this situation. Of course, I understand that it's not ea…
-
As I understand it, any person has a power at common law to arrest to prevent a breach of the peace. However, I'm not sure how that works in practice, and so I'm not sure if the below scenario would be lawful. Say, for example, that someone was being aggressive on a train, shouting racist remarks about a fellow passenger. If the target of that shouting apprehended immediate unlawful violence because of the shouting, could that constitute a breach of the peace? If so, would a person be justified in using reasonable force to eject a person from the train at the next stop? In essence, they would be arresting the unruly passenger to prevent a breach of the peace, moving th…
-
You attend a call of criminal damage at some houses, where the fence has been heavily damaged during the night. How do you proceed? And is it likely you will catch the offenders?
-
You are attending a incident where a car has struck a stationary vehicle parked in the road. Stationary car has rear axle damage, tyres off the rim and has moved a few feet forward. The road conditions are good and there is ample street lighting. Both parties are exchanging insurance details. How would you deal with this incident?
-
Can police use number plates not owned by the force, making up false plates to put on a vehicle? For example The Police(or NCA) find out that there is going to be a massive drug deal going to take place. They know who the potential buyer is an know he is meant to be picking it up in a white transit van VRM' AB12CDE' as an example. If they planned on doing an undercover sting. Could they get plates made up for that vehicle and stick it on any white transit van, using it just for the purpose of this sting? I understand for surveillance purposes the VRMs aren't linked to Police at all, but just wondering with regards to a specific VRM.
-
I'm not sure wether this should be here or general discussion I'll let a moderator decide that... I pulled up to some red traffic lights the other day and some policeman pulled up beside me also waiting ( dual road) a group off friends walked over the crossing and the lads where quiet obviously spitting on the floor. The police man was watching them but as lights went green and they had crossed the road they didint do anything ( as far as I know) they drove off and went a different direction. They were in a bmw not the normal corsa's we have. I understand it's not a massive thing or a massive crime but it's still not aloud on public is it!? Mind you I hate it that f…
-
As I am not a PC, this doesn't actually affect me, but I saw this the other day, and it got me thinking. Car parked and unattended roadside. In the Tax Disc Holder was an out of date disk, however on the dashboard was the new, in date, tax disk. Would the owner still get a ticket for displaying an OOD disk, or would having the live disk visible nullify this? Is there any penalty for displaying two disks? Hope that makes sense!
-
So, you are a student at University living in Halls. You realise that some of your food is missing, every week. A fellow flatmate has the same situation. You both have a good idea who it is. What offences if you catch the person eating your food/drink and what can be done if you dont catch them in the act? Also, how about if you are a Special whilst at Uni?
-
Today coming home from work a car pulled out of a t-juntion when I had the right of way. I had to brake and veer only just avoiding him. I pipped him before he veered over to the wrong side of the road and continued for atleast 100m on the wrong side, I told my friend in the passenger seat to film his actions while I rang 999, he then stopped at the pavement and I pulled in behind him. I then approached his passenger window and before he could drive off again, requested he got out of the car- obviously drunk he tried to run so I used reasonable force to stop him and keep him with me.. 5 minutes later the police arrived and arrested him for drink driving. Would you recko…
-
Vehicle parked in a supermarket car park, no insurance flags up in RT/ANPR car. What can be done? R/K isn't about, I've not seen anyone drive it, can it be lifted? Or does the owner need to be on scene/present for it to be seized?
-
An 8 year old boy forcing a 7 year old girl into doing sexual actions, what would be done Police wise?
-
For the purpose of these scenarios, I am referring to a loyalty card which holds details, name, address etc. 1) If someone came into a shop to make a purchase an upon producing cash to pay with, it became appearant to the cashier that the notes are forged. The cashier obviously would refuse the transaction and hold onto the forged notes. But imagine the cashier is switched on and completes the transaction, then refuses the sale, retaining the notes and goods. It would then have a record on the system of the loyalty card details use. Could the police then use the details linked to the loyalty card to get a suspect? (Obviously then doing some sort of ID parade to check it …
-
Saw this last night and couldn't work out who would be at fault, possibly both? Last night it didn't involve in a collision but lets assume it did for answering the question. Car A approaches a T-Junction onto a main road with 2 lanes in either direction indicating left to turn left as that is the only option. Car B is on the main road in lane 2. A bus is in lane 1. The bus indicates left and comes to a complete stop in a bus stop prior to the T-Junction, blocking lane 1. Car A pulls out into lane 1. Car B indicates and immediately changes into lane 1 in front of the bus. For the sake of the scenario this causes a collision. Neither car can be determined to have ma…
-
I'm not sure this shouldn't be in It's the Law, but it's a real scenario from years ago and I've always wondered about it. Whilst on foot, I saw a car being driven susiciously along a side street. It was dark and I was unable to see inside the car. I followed it round the corner on foot, to find it parked up with three drunk men in the passenger seats and no driver. The keys were still in the ignition, although the engine was off. None of the people present was remotely fit to drive. The men all claimed that the driver had just left on foot, but they were very clearly lying. They were also unable to tell me the driver's name, although two of them were actually insu…