Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9555 topics in this forum
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14697170
-
A friend of mine went to the basketball event and his 1l Coca-cola bottle confiscated. Apparently there are 500ml liquid limits! I know there has to some rules but that sound a bit harsh?
-
Read more here. I thought it was a very interesting article. Climatic cycles can as much as double the risk of a civil conlfict in a region and who knows how this will play out with the current changes in climate?
-
-
Apple founder Steve Jobs has resigned as chief executive of the software giant and will be replaced by its chief operating officer Tim Cook. Mr Jobs, who underwent a liver transplant following pancreatic cancer, said he could no longer meet his chief executive's duties and expectations. The Silicon Valley legend will become chairman of the firm. The 55-year-old has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since 17 January. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14659127 .......................................... Hope Steve is ok.
-
A friend told me there was an earthquake in New York and Washington DC, I thought he was pulling my leg cause there are no earthquakes in the USA apart from the west coast! It sounds like something from a Hollywood movie. I'm trying to browse the news sites on my phone but is this true?
-
Scientists are warning thieves could use thermal imaging cameras to capture a person's credit card pin number or door entry code. Researchers at the University of California at San Diego found that up to 45 seconds after a person types their pin code into an ATM machine or door entry pad the numbers and even the sequence are still readable by thermal cameras. Experts have warned the worrying tactic has not become widely used only due to the cost of thermal imaging equipment - which start at around $1,200. The thermal scam has its advantages over traditional ATM machine fraud techniques. Typically a thief will attach a card 'skimming' reader to the ATM machine along with …
-
An extension of this thread: http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122039&st=0 regarding a male dying after being arrested and both tasered and pava'd in the process of that arrest. The comments have led to a debate on the use of force in the situation and 'nobody has ever died from being tasered'. I thought a new thread to discuss Taser and it's pluses and minuses. To this end, I found a book on ebay (which at £50 I am not about to buy) which seems to be a reasonably in depth account of Taser and In Custody deaths. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taser-Electronic-Control-Devices-and-Sudden-In-custody-/140580329104?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item20…
-
I work in a building that also houses a young persons drug and alcohol treatment service. I saw a new poster today giving information about: Cocaethylene which occurs naturally in the body after both alcohol and cocaine are injested at the same time (from my limited knowledge, a lot of people will have a line or 2 and a few drinks, especially in social events). The effects are heightened euphoria and longer duration. Obviously, these are the desired effects. The downside is some reports suggest greater cardiotoxity (i.e. the heart is weakened) and an increased risk of violence. The reason I'm posting this, is to my "jumping to conclusions" mind, there might be so…
-
Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her home in London, it has been reported. The Back To Black singer was apparently found at the property in by emergency services at 3.54pm this afternoon, according to sources, and her death is being treated as 'unexplained' by police. In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said: 'Police were called by London Ambulance Service to an address in Camden Square NW1 shortly before 16.05hrs today, Saturday 23 July, following reports of a woman found deceased. Passing: Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her home this afternoon 'On arrival officers found the body of a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene. 'Enquiries…
-
I would just like to tell you about my visit to the job centre today - my thoughts - then I'll get on to the topic at hand. Well, today was my first time in the local Job Centre (YAYYYY! (if you sensed sarcasm - well done ). I must say, I had been dreading going, to be honest. I felt extremely uncomfortable when I was seated in the appropriate area and I actually felt like standing up and running out. I'm not 100% sure why - I just did. Anyway, I was called to a desk, not far from where I and a few others were sitting, by a young chap. I was questioned about what I had written on the application, but it was the chaps tone and overall demeanour which I didn't quite lik…
-
Everyone, these days, seems to think they are entitled to express their opinion as fact, even though they don't actually have a clue what they are talking about - Quoting that a free speech society enables them to do so... It fills me with great hope that our Prime Minister is starting to bring us back into a Common Sense based society rather than being held to ransom by the Political Correctness army... I am not a huge political follower or profess to know that I know everything (or anything for that matter!) or even think that Mr Cameron is the bee's knees... but since reading this article on the BBC site; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14535335 I am feeling a…
-
It's quite a novel way to try and plug a £36bn hole in a budget, but the Ministry of Defence has decided to sell millions of pounds of equipment for a fraction of the cost. Among the items on offer there are Gazelle helicopters (reduced from £5m to £100,000), armoured Jaguars (cut from £200,000 to as little as £12,000) and Snatch Land Rovers (retail price £65,000 but for you £2,000). They are among a host of other items such as luxury watches that you might expect to see on the wrist of James Bond rather than someone on the front line. There are 14 helicopters up for grabs and motorbikes are going for a snip at between £650 and £1,250. The HMS Ark Royal has so fa…
-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025587/Evangelical-church-application-set-new-free-school-teach-creationism-approved.html Surely there should be some sort of law against filling impressionable young minds with fairy stories dolled up as fact? Teaching evolution as a theory? Fair enough, because it is a theory, no one has been able to prove it although there is a lot of evidence to suggest it is true. But to peddle the old 6 day story as fact and tell children the Earth is 2000 years old? Gimme a break! Here is a genuine picture from the creationist museum in Kentucky where the above story is peddled....so humans and dinosaurs coexisted and of course we domestic…
-
I have a friend in Ohio who was abused when he was 14 by a 19 year old. The guy was arrested and found in possession of thousands of child sexual abuse images (see the news article here). My friend told me that he felt used and upset, if you look at the comments in the news article, you can actually see what he has written. My friend is now 16, and the pedo. is 21. I have now been accused of "not knowing what's right for him" after my friend has told me that the pedophile "has changed", and they are now in regular contact. I told him that he will be hurt again and he needs to tell the pedophile where to go, but this upset my friend and now he won't talk to me at all. I …