Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9556 topics in this forum
-
So "Call me Dave" has said we'll get a referendum (sort of, if the winds in the right direction and it looks like he'll get his way) on EU membership. Problem is pretty much anyone will be able to vote, and that worries me. Off the top of my head, people who should not be allowed to vote and influence such an important decision; People who share Facebook posts without bothering to check if they're true (and 99.9% of the time they're not) People who believed they banned England shirts (tying in with the above point) People who believe Maxine Carr should have been hung for killing those kids People who'll believe any old rubbish that's dressed up as a conspiracy theory …
-
Video doing the rounds on the internet at the moment, has like 70,000 views. Personally I just found this whole incident sickening. Mostly the general apathy of the crowd and Youtube comments calling this funny etc. You have like 10 or more people filming the scene and doing nothing to stop it or intervene, to them it's just a spectacle to cheer on and put on the internet. It would've taken just a few people to stand between and separate the two parties. It's disgusting mentality some people have, it's more important to film an incident on their phones than try and stop it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFwUY5ecOI
-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2290462/What-way-treat-heroine-Royal-Navy-girl-fought-Afghanistan-told-cover-uniform-Virgin-flight-case-offended-passengers.html http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amputee-dies-in-g4s-ambulance-due-to-insufficient-staff-training-8527221.html
-
I've often thought about this and I get the impression some times that it could be true - more so for large companies such as Apple and Google. There have been numerous times where Google has been in the news for breaching privacy and they often get fined. The fines they receive are so small that companies continue to operate outside the law because the penalties are so insignificant. A similar situation arises when it comes to intellectual property and copyright law. Apple is a fine example of this. It has become common knowledge that Apple have stole and copied designs and technology from other companies, but given they have a $90bn cash pile of profit...does that rea…
-
-
Huhne: "The only proper course of action for me is now to resign my Eastleigh seat" Former cabinet minister Chris Huhne has admitted perverting the course of justice over claims his ex-wife took speeding points for him a decade ago. The Liberal Democrat MP, 58, changed his plea on the first day of his trial at Southwark Crown Court. He could face a prison sentence for the offence. Huhne said outside court he would stand down as MP for Eastleigh, Hampshire. His former wife, Vicky Pryce, has pleaded not guilty to the same offence on the grounds of marital coercion. 'Right decision' Speaking outside court Huhne said: "Having taken responsibility for something that happe…
-
This is a topic that seems to generate a fair amount of debate when it is raised and something I have quite strong feelings on myself being from a rural area with a large deer population. I would welcome such a move, deer numbers are spiralling out of control in a fashion that the landscape cannot support. A lot of people might argue a cull interferes with nature in a way that is unacceptable but deer numbers have only reched their current levels because of very unnatural management of the landscape. I'm not sure if this will be something that members of this board have much of an opinion on but I'm interested to hear any views.
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-21707747 Ouch. I wonder how fast the ambulance was travelling at the time. The boy is very fortunate to still be alive, given the response speed an ambulance could be travelling at Thoughts with the boy and his family and also to the ambulance crew. I wonder if they will release more details about whether the boy stepped in to the ambulance's path or not. It looks like it could have took place on a pedestrian crossing. Another website claims the boy was 14, not 10.
-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2287183/A-great-day-British-justice-Theresa-May-vows-UK-European-Court-Human-Rights.html Well this is funny. I know a lot of members on here don't like May and don't like the Daily Mail but these same members also don't like the ECHR. A bit of fire and bit of ice for your Sunday morning?
-
-
Anybody keen for England to go it alone?
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21660119 It's nice of student groups to take responsibility for their drinking and look out for their peers who might be incapable from drinking. I think the minibus is a great idea as it gets the drunks out of way, keeps them out of trouble and gets them to a safe place so they aren't vulnerable or don't end up getting lifted by Police. It also offers young women protection who might be walking home alone. Having a Special on board is a good measure too. The problem I can see is people will use it to their advantage and end up relying on that minibus too often. Will they think twice if they have a wristband in the morning? Personall…
-
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-21646773 The news don't say why but what sad news.
-
Hi everyone Just wondering your opinions on this, I recently have had a few telephone interviews for various diffrent jobs, some I have passed some I have not. A common question I get asked is about going the extra mile for customers etc I try to use examples from my day job but for the last interview I could tell the guy on the phone wanted a diffrent example so I used one from a police experience about contacting people about missing persons. Now obviously I did not give any real specifics like the people or circumstances but I did use this as an example. Do you think this was an ok thing to do? Should I not mention any police examples? Is there a specific guideance w…