Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9556 topics in this forum
-
I have been reading up on the defence lawyer known as 'Mr Loophole' and the celebrity clients he has represented. Quite an interesting read and maybe something for us all to look out for in the future.. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Freeman
-
-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2308633/Millwall-shame-FA-Cup-fans-fight-EACH-OTHER-stands-Wembley.html Football violence rearing it's ugly head again, shame it had to happen at such a big occasion too. Hopefully all the officers involved are OK too.
-
The BBC have just decided that they will not play 'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead' after it seems to be guaranteed to be in the top 5. While I deplore anyone who is actively 'celebrating' the death of what is after all an 87 year old women who has been out of frontline politics for 20 years, this decision could be seen as more of a knee jerk reaction giving the people promoting the single exactly what they want… moreover probably guaranteeing that it'll be in the charts for a few weeks to come.. What are your views on it all? EDIT: The BBC will infect only play 51 seconds of the song..
-
We are told that there are still lots of young people who are NEETS (Not in Employment Education or Training). I think that most would agree, these individuals should be contributing in a positive and constructive way. In some other countries it is compulsory and I know that in the UK there would be certain exemptions, for instance those who are ill or who are lone parents with child-care issues. Would a return to a new form of conscription / national service be the answer? Do you think it would work? How do you think the UK as a whole would benefit? Would it instil better discipline, skills and a sense of purpose for those who seem to need it most?
-
I recently volunteered and completed an interview with a postgraduate medical student who is currently doing research for N.I.C.E. The questions were linked to scenarios based on the levels of illness, pain, disability, anxiety and depression and how you felt these would affect your quality of life. Towards the end of the interview I was asked whether I would want to live or not and at what point as the pain and disability scale increased. I have asked myself this question many times during the past ten years. Would I want to live with a profound disability that meant I couldn't wash or dress myself, cook, work, socialise or travel independently. How do you feel abou…
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22099662
-
-
-
This is very hard hitting and moving. So whilst we may whinge and whine about the state of the UK, we're very, very lucky to be so fortunate to live here.
-
Just come up on my BBC News feed that Manchester Airport Terminal 1 has been closed and evacuated due to a 'suspect package' found this morning. GMP say that investigations have begun, and are ongoing but that EOD have been called to attend. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-21993700 Here's hoping that it turns out to be a false alarm in good faith.
-
Well, in todays BBC news P&O are now refusing to enter Argentine ports and are re-routing their vessels on Round-The-World cruises (Arcadia and Adonia) following the Argentine announcement that any liner that has been to the Falkland Islands will be refused berth. They say the decision has been taken to prevent the Argentines being able to use their vessels as part of the political disagreement through either refusing berth or by blockading them in due to being British registered vessels http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20998358
-
This makes me so upset. I was just wondering what ps.com members thought about whether it is possible to monitor and detect individuals like this or that their actions are so evil it was impossible to prevent? and do members think the benefits system encouraged their behaviour leading to tragic consequences or the benefits system has no bearing on his actions?
-
He warned eastern European criminals that British courts would not be a "soft touch". Woo hoo hooo hah hah hah, hah hah hah hoo hooo hah hah hah...
-