Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9556 topics in this forum
-
-
So he's going to be here for a little longer then - looks like even though the deadline for an appeal has passed the ECHR will still consider his applications. Great... The shadow Home Secretary has a much... Different take on the situation. Lets just get rid of him and get him deported as soon as possible.
-
Good result for the families, could open the floodgates I think... Slightly off topic but in a similar vein, I've always wondered... would a Police Officer be able to bring a claim under HRA if they were to get injured due to inadequate PPE/equipment as set down the force/government? E.g. if they get sent to a knife call, get stabbed/slashed, would they then have a case because the force/government could provide them with TASER/firearms but didn't/won't?
-
i guess she was arrested for contempt of court? can she just say "no comment"?
-
Some really scary images here, basically a recycling centre in Smethwick (Near Birmingham) caught fire as a result of a chinese lantern causing a huge plume of toxic smoke to engulf much of the West Midlands. Nobody has been hurt (so far) http://vimeo.com/69459747# http://www.itv.com/news/central/story/2013-07-01/major-fire-in-smethwick/ Is it time to ban Chinese Lanterns? I've been saying it for about 5 years now that they may look pretty but they kill cattle and start fires like this one Apologies if this is running elsewhere
-
-
Probably one of the strangest things I've heard of in a while! Glad to hear the woman is doing well though. EDIT: the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-23189453
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23129946 Pity this scumbag was not put away for longer
-
Okkkaaaayyyyy. I am yet again under threat of redundancy despite being told if I took no payrise (or at most 1% and over the years in real terms a pay cut) for the 4th or 5th year running this would help save them. Others actually have been made redundant. We all face yet more cuts on top of those we've already had - yet through all of this Ma'am gets 5% raise? Benefits cut, moves to delay the first claim (will bills also be happy to wait do you think?), more and more only on offer more and more crummy, low-paid work making it pointless in finding a job... and Ma'am gets a rise for the second year running, this year a 5% rise? I never used to be a Monarchist although a…
-
See DM site for the two videos
-
http://news.uk.msn.com/in-pictures/the-real-hurt-locker-suicide-bomber-vest-defused A lot of respect for all bomb disposal units. I imagine it to be a very stressful job. Shame MSN made reference to a movie. I'll try find a better source EDIT - I'll move to Real World.
-
-
-
Spending Review: Public sector to lose automatic rises Andrew Neil has the headline announcements from George Osborne's Spending Review Millions of public sector workers face losing automatic annual pay increases as part of an £11.5bn cuts package unveiled by Chancellor George Osborne. He also announced a cap on total welfare spending and axed winter fuel payments for expatriate pensioners in hot countries from 2015. Welfare changes mean most unemployed people will have to visit a JobCentre every week instead of fortnightly. The cuts package will cover a single financial year - 2015-16. It was forced on the chancellor by slower than expected economic growth and d…
-
http://news.sky.com/story/1108475/woolwich-geller-and-spencer-in-edl-rally-ban