Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9556 topics in this forum
-
Source BBC Not sure about this. As a white person I'm not sure I appreciate her sweeping generalisation. Then again, just goes to show that all of us can come a cropper while trying to negotiate the language traps around trying to describe people.
-
Just seen two separate articles online this evening about circumcision covering different issues: - The Guardian is carrying a story regarding Israel criticising the Council of Europe for opposing ritual circumcision http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/israel-council-of-europe-resolution-ritual-circumcision - The Daily Mail is reporting on men who are seeking 'reversals' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2449027/The-circumcised-men-desperate-reverse-procedure-Angry-shameful-men-online-forums-discuss-restoring-manhood.html Is it the right time to start a debate about whether circumcision has a place in the contemporary world? Should it be the choice …
-
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mail-on-sunday-apologises-for-terrible-lapse-of-judgement-after-sending-reporter-to-memorial-service-for-ed-milibands-uncle-8856302.html The Mail on Sunday has today apologised "unreservedly" to Ed Miliband after an uninvited reporter went to a private memorial service he was attending for his late uncle.[/size] The paper's editor Geordie Greig said it had been a "terrible lapse of judgment" and two journalists on the paper have been suspended. He promised a full investigation after the Labour leader complained that the reporter attempted to get reaction from his relatives about an article in the Daily Mail denouncing his…
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24295183
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24367601 What a twit!
-
Here I am chilling out before starting a stint of six on and whilst flicking through the channels on the telly I came across 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' now I dont mind watching Dog and his family but I stopped to think... What do we have in the UK thats vaugley similar? Nothing is the answer because we're sensible enough not to have private bounty hunters over here... BUT a google search later and I found this: Now this is a wallet from Australia but still, thought it was worth putting up due to the sheer novelty value. The older posters here may well remember a firm called 'Civic Defence' that operated within the Manchester area I believe... The old photo's I came acro…
-
Source: BBC (includes video) The story doesn't state that she needed new underwear, but I'd put money on it that she did :new_doh2:
-
Stumbled across it on youtube. Definitely one of the more heartening things I have seen for a while Sadly the kitten didn't make the night, but even so :new_yes:
-
The US defence secretary says his country is "ready to go" if Barack Obama orders action in Syria as UK recalls Parliament over the crisis. Britain's Armed Forces are drawing up plans for a military intervention in response to a toxic gas attack in Damascus, which is said to have killed 1,300 people. Rebels in Syria have also handed Western powers a list of suggested targets for a strike, according to a Reuters source. Mr Cameron, who is back in London after cutting short his family holiday, says a clear motion on the crisis will be put before MPs on Thursday. Mr Cameron says the Syrian attack was 'absolutely abhorrent'He wrote on Twitter: "Speaker agrees my request t…
-
Something I've been noticing is that there seems to be a general rise in people with tattoos. There doesn't seem to be anything specific about people with them, not one obvious social demographic, trade, walk of life etc. I'm recently back from holiday and noticed an awful lot of people seem to have tattoos and at OST the other day saw plenty of cops with fairly significant artwork (all be it above the elbow etc). No obviously recent links although apparently 1/5 of Brits are inked, at least of 3 years ago (http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2010/jul/20/tattoos), apols for the Guardian link Anyone else noticed this?
-
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24111481
-
New York police are hunting for a gunman who shot dead a baby in a pushchair. Antiq Hennis, one, was shot in the face as gunfire rang out in the Brownsville area of Brooklyn at 19:20 on Sunday evening (23:20 GMT). The bullets were intended for the boy's father, police sources told US media. Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23933029
-
Just been watching some trashy day time telly before the start of my late shift and I have to say I aint shaken my head at the telly as much for a LONG time. Street Patrol UK is a program that follows council wardens tackling ASB across the country, today's episode followed Westminster Wardens tackling begging and ASB issues in central London. I've never seen such ineffective and frankly laughable methods in tackling beggars, most simply walked away from the wardens and those that stayed were simply told to move on, one bloke who had a cap on the floor infront of him was told to pick the cap up and was not even asked to leave the area... Then we followed street wardens…
-
Not quite sure where to put this as I'm unclear whether Godfrey Bloom can be associated with the Real World, but here goes anyway... Watch this clip, 2 offences?