Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9556 topics in this forum
-
Greetings, Something I was mulling over today is whether or not we should bring into force some kind of 'Duty to Rescue/Assist' law within the UK, in effect making it a criminal offence to walk by an injured person or a crime being committed and not reporting it. A person would in theory at the very least would have to alert the authorities. The reason I bring this up is down to my own experiences. In the years I've been a cop I'm getting the impression most people out in the general public arent willing to assist those in need of help, for example i've lost count the number of times I've viewed CCTV footage only to see MOP's not linked to an incident stood back watc…
-
We often hear of talk of 'prison reform' and there are lots of armchair critics and those in Government offices who think they have the answer to what form a reform should be. Our over-crowded and under-funded prison services are largely ignored, until something goes drastically wrong. A riot, an officer who makes a wrong decision or a death seem to be the only triggers to awake the public's awareness of what seems to be a consistent failure to adequately fund and manage our ever-increasing prison population. What would you do to make improvements? Do you think privatising prisons is a good/bad thing? Do you think HMIP are doing enough?
-
Did you know that when you breakdown and call your recovery service provider they can only get you home in 100km chunks? New legislation means they can drive a maximum of 100km where you will be left and await another provider who will take you a further 100km. If you live in Scotland and breakdown on the south coast it could be a few days before you get home again! I had the misfortune of having the brakes fail on a Ford Galaxy I was driving last week, I needed to be transported about 210 miles. I had my little lad with me who was scared and confused, the journey was not going to be fun as it was, when they told me it would be done in 4 chunks I was furious. When th…
-
I appreciate this story is somewhat old but I am surprised to read the paragraph about paramedics having a very short life expectancy and that a lot of "...ambulance clinicians simply do not make retirement age..." I don't understand why paramedics have been singled out as having cancers and heart disease at much higher than average rates. Is it the poor diet consumed (because of shift work), if so this affects the other 999 services too. I can appreciate that lifting heavy people can cause musculoskeletal injuries but what is it that predisposes paramedics to a very low life expectancy? Does anybody know why which of the emergency services have the lowest life expectan…
-
Only in the USA.....guns for all, even when you can't actually see who you're pointing the gun at! Full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/08/iowa-blind-gun-licences-carry-in-public_n_3890291.html?ref=topbar
-
Why they ever let this scumbag out is disgusting.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23941699#
-
Original article link: http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/obvious-not-so-much-tsa-reminds-you-not-travel-hand-grenades
-
Well, this one had a short stay behind bars. He undoubtedly thought the idea of spending over a thousand years behind bars was too long....oh, and just how the US justice system comes up with ridiculous sentences far exceeding the lifetime of any human being is beyond me. Why not just state 'life imprisonment', mean it, and have done with it? Very, very strange. Ariel Castro, who kept women captive at his home in Cleveland, Ohio, has died after being found hanging in his cell. He was sentenced on 1 August to life imprisonment without parole plus 1,000 years. Prison officials said he died in hospital late on Tuesday, after prison medical staff failed to revive him.…
-
Some of us may have it at home to monitor our property, front door, garden or garage. Organisations like the one I work for have invested hundreds of thousands of pounds in sophisicated systems and councils / police have invested millions of pounds. Do you think that it is still as much a deterrent to the would-be criminal? Are there situations where you think it could be improved? Have you experienced any problems in your area with CCTV?
-
BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23920336 Real shame this. I used to watch his interviews all the time to help me with the way I carried out interviews with employees in my old job. R.I.P.
-
-
Seems like a very interesting idea;
-
Found this quite interesting. It's clear that we can't stop it from happening, so should it be a 'regulated' service? Thought and opinions welcome...
-
is it just me or do muggers now attack people too? it used to be they demanded your phone etc and you would give to to them without a fight and then they left. Now they seem to beat you up too. So you might as well but up a fight if you are going to get beaten anyway?
-
Anyone else been caught out (that they want to admit to!)