Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9556 topics in this forum
-
A fool and his money are easily parted. How some people couldn't see this coming I'll never know.
-
http://news.sky.com/story/1228638/train-announcer-warns-of-gypsies-and-thieves
-
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/19/trans-people-rude-questions-sex-lives?CMP=fb_gu Trans people are asked offensive questions about their private lives that would never be asked of others. It's time to stop the talk of 'real' names and body parts 376 comments Cis people sometimes make unwarranted assumptions about trans people. Illustration: Bill Roundy Fred McConnell Wednesday 19 March 2014 07.00 GMT I would predict that every trans person who has ever come out has been asked a variation on the question, "But what was your old name?" Or the ruder version, "But what's your real name?" Or the slightly bizarre, "But what was your birth name?" I'…
-
Interesting short video story from former royalty protection officer Jim Beaton, who helped prevent the kidnapping of Princess Anne as she was returning to Buckingham Palace in 1974. Beaton was awarded the George Cross. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26626984
-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/10697895/Navy-warship-accidentally-fires-torpedo-at-nucleur-dockyard.html Wow!
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26583193 No matter how far you go back I hope they find this chap and I find this a nice story to post. as it is about specials.
-
Here is a link to an article about a helicopter rescue of a horse that a portion of the pacific crest trail gave way under. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/horse-rider-flown-angeles-national-forest-canyon-article-1.1722736
-
So Ed Milliband has stated that it is unlikely Labour will offer an in-out referendum on the UK's continuing membership. Whatever your feelings on membership, don't you think we should be given the vote? In that, has Milliband handed the Conservatives the next General Election who at least are offering that referendum? Link
-
I find this very strange. I know criminals are sometimes stupid but why break into a house and not steal anything. I syuspect it could be gang related, maybe meting out a punishment to the family.
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26573929 Very sad - Politics have lost a real gent
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26563326 What a sick woman to do this to a cat.
-
Ok, the short answer is no. But, what's the longer answer? I'm interested because of 2 things: Firstly, the Ukraine/Russian situation - is it acceptable that the Russian minority in the Ukraine seem to be racially discriminating against native Ukrainians and vice versa. What would you do if you were Russian or Ukrainian? Or if Scotland voted for independence and then the rest of GB tried to annex part or all of Scotland (e.g. Edinburgh and the east coast to Aberdeen). The reason I'm asking is a situation that has been presented to me ref. the Falklands (for which I have a deep affection and personal connections) and the current Argentine state of affairs. There is …
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-26525149 Good on Norfolk Constabulary for the magnificent support they have offered overnight and today.
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-26482105 I hate scumbags who do things like this so I do hope they find her Braille computer and they catch the scum who did this.
-
General secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union Bob Crow has died aged 52 In a statement on its website, the union said he died in the early hours of Tuesday morning. London Mayor Boris Johnson, with whom he clashed over plans for the Tube, said: "I am shocked. Bob Crow was a fighter and a man of character." Mr Crow was elected general secretary of the RMT in 2002 following the death of former leader Jimmy Knapp. The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said Mr Crow "was, some argue, the most successful union leader in terms of securing jobs and pay for his members". Only a day before his death, he told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that MPs de…