Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

England & Wales

  1. GoneForgotten
    Started by GoneForgotten,

    What are the powers of search of a vehicle in the following scenario. A male is observed taking drugs in a pub, next to where he works. The person is taken aside for a S.23 MDA act search of his person. No drugs are found but based on having witnessed his taking drugs and things that he has said, there is reasonable suspiscion that there may be drugs in his car. The male has a set of car keys and it's ascertained from say, some work ID, that it's probably parked in the car park next door. A few things to clarify. 1) The pub is a public place. 2) He is not with his car. 3) The work car park is not a public place (let's say it's gated for the sake of argument) From…

      • Like
    • 15 replies
    • 3.6k views
  2. QuannyUK
    Started by QuannyUK,

    Would like to know your thoughts on this... would you ever get involved in anything you came across off duty? It seems like a pretty crazy idea in many respects given that you would be without any PPE or radio, but as I understand it there's a duty to do something often. I'm not suggesting that every transgression would be reported or dealt with, but when would you feel you had to do something about if you came across it? For example, you come across somebody getting a kicking from a group - although you've a duty to save life, the chances of coming out of that in one piece if you were to try and do something other than act as a good witness are pretty slim, so you'd p…

    • 27 replies
    • 4.4k views
  3. fentiger48
    Started by fentiger48,

    It is an offence to sell a Grey Squirrel - or keep one without a licence. Why is an importer of animals and several pet shops/animal dealers offering both Grey Squirrels and Edible Dormice for sale? DEFRA were advised some time ago - but zero response. Obsidian_Eclipse - one of them is in your area!!

      • Like
    • 17 replies
    • 2.8k views
  4. buttonmonkey
    Started by buttonmonkey * ,

    Does a Notification of Offence have to handed to the accused person? E.g. I have been accused of committing a crime but the notification of offence was handed to my partner as I was not available.

  5. Fedster
    Started by Fedster,

    This morning, Advocate General Juliane Kokott's opinion was published in relation to the long-running football pub broadcasting cases. She sided with publican Karen Murphy and decoder supplier QC Leisure. This case is of major significance because it may change how rights are sold to broadcasters throughout Europe because it may remove the ability for rights owners to segment national markets. It may also change how consumers buy television content. It may be far easier for consumers to subscribe to foreign broadcasters by using decoder cards and other equipment that is available in other member states. There are eight advocates general whose role is to present re…

    • 3 replies
    • 1.8k views
  6. nstevo81
    Started by nstevo81 * ,

    Hiya, I was just wondering whether someone can help me please re. the procedure for the seizure of vehicles/refund of recovery and storage charges? More specfically, ANPR system shows a vehicle as 'having no insurance'. As such vehicle seized and impounded. Later transpires that vehicle is fully insured but registered keeper required to pay recovery and storage charges for the return of the vehicle. How does the registered keeper go about obtaining a refund of those charges? Many thanks, Nicki

    • 5 replies
    • 1.7k views
  7. jackisback
    Started by jackisback,

    If you were sat in your car stationary with your engine running, and someone tried to carjack you, could you run them over and plea self defence/ instant arming? Regards, Jackisback

      • Like
    • 16 replies
    • 1.5k views
  8. JayCee1546620698
    Started by JayCee1546620698 * ,

    Hi I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. My son was assaulted (punched once in the face, 2 black eyes), The lad who punched him was arrested. Because he was of previous good character the PS gave him a caution. Is this standard practice? What,if any, inconvenience will a caution be to this lad? As I am (now) slightly distrustful of this process, is there any way I can find out exactly how the investigation etc... was carried out. For example my son was with lots of people leaving a private party, and to my knowledge none of the people at the party have been interviewed. I would like to find out, what the local police actually did, just for my peace of mi…

  9. Chappers2
    Started by Chappers2,

    Has anyone ever heard of this offence? I overheard a colleague telling someone that he managed to get a conviction for this because 'someone was kicking off big style at the front desk' apparently this is a very old offence any ideas?

      • Like
    • 18 replies
    • 5.7k views
  10. cheshire10
    Started by cheshire10,

    I have a witness statement where one of the signatures is different from all the others. It would appear that the statement has had another page added to it and signed by another officer. Are there any circumstances in which we are permitted to sign on behalf of witnesses? I cannot think of any!

      • Like
    • 3 replies
    • 771 views
  11. SMills1546082798
    Started by SMills1546082798,

    Hey there, I am a currently a student studying law and in the past I have encountered police and I did not know where I legally stood and I was wondering if I could get some advice on some questions I have on general law. 1) Can you record an audio conversation with a police officer(s) if you let them know you're doing it. 2) If they request you to stop, what can you do? 3) Can you film police using video equipment? 4) If they tell you to stop, what can you do? 5) Under what circumstances or suspicion can a police offer take your details - Name, address, phone number 6) If they take your details, do they have to say why they are taking them. 7) What do the police …

  12. cheshire10
    Started by cheshire10,

    Can anyone direct to procedural guidance on taking witness statements, I'm looking for requirements to keep witnesses separate from each other.

      • Like
    • 12 replies
    • 3.3k views
  13. Thief Taker
    Started by Thief Taker * ,

    Hi all i've just re-joined the site after almost two and a half years so i'm just getting back into the swing of using it. last time I used this site i was a student officer with little experience and little knowledge, now i'm a confirmed in rank PC and have gained a bit more experience but still have little knowledge ha. I was hoping to share peoples views on crime recording. I have raised crimes many of times and found that they are often recorded as something different to what i have or would arrest for; example, common assault (battery) with the slightest of redness to the skin would be crimed as ABH or, an ABH were the victim receives a small cut would go down as …

    • 1 reply
    • 774 views
  14. PC ornot PC
    Started by PC ornot PC,

    Hi, I hope that this is the right place. I'm a little bit shaken today...due to sheer disbelief. Basically my neighbour, a shop owner, not a resident threatened me today saying he would slap me about the face and told me to watch my back. This all came about when he was burning rubbish on a piece of ground that wasn't his (it was my old neighbours) I happened to alert my neighbour of this (in passing) not in a 'tell tale' way. He thinks the land is communal (its not) as my title deeds show from my lawyer. He approached me in an aggressive way saying I was out to get him - he says this because I asked him to stop putting commerical waste from his shop in my bin. To …

      • Like
    • 16 replies
    • 6.3k views
  15. specialconstable1
    Started by specialconstable1,

    Does anybody have a specific way / acronym to remember to 10 point 'rule' for statements? Skin colour Sex Height Age Clothes Build Hair Style / Colour Complexion Distinguishin Features Carrying Anything? I know them but not off by heart?

    • 5 replies
    • 1.7k views
    TallGuy1546081014 +

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.