Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Chief Rat
    Started by Chief Rat,

    The PoliceSpecials.com forum was established in July 2002 and since then we have welcomed literally tens of thousands of visitors and discussed thousands of topics in over a million messages! Of course, many of our visitors are either new Specials or are members of the public thinking of joining, and there are quite a few Frequently Asked Questions. This thread lists some of the most commonly asked questions, together with a link to a topic which will hopefully answer most queries. Before posting a new question, please check the list below and read the relevant topics - chances are many of your questions will have already been answered! The questions here are of genera…

    • 2 replies
    • 28.9k views
  2. StarScream
    Started by StarScream,

    Did anyone else have their AC day at Royton last week? (3rd-7th)

    • 7 replies
    • 647 views
  3. jpb3001
    Started by jpb3001,

    Hi everyone, I know the vetting process is a long way off, if I reach it, as I've only just sent off my application but I'm beginning to worry. I'm 19 and work part time for a supermarket and last tax year earnt £8,300 and paid £40 tax. I also declared on my application that I worked for another company - football related, self employed. The contract was 6 months long but I only actually worked one weekend and got paid £60. I didn't declare to HMRC that I was self employed as I only did one days work even though I was contracted for longer. I've only started to panic now because I've read how rigorous the vetting process is. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in adv…

      • Like
    • 7 replies
    • 516 views
  4. LeanneSC
    Started by LeanneSC,

    Hi guys. I have just downloaded the online numerical test off the how2become website....do you actually do any of whats on this test in the PIRT?

      • Like
    • 4 replies
    • 461 views
  5. LeanneSC
    Started by LeanneSC,

    I know I'm way off attesting yet and might not even get that far...who knows?! but I've just been looking at some videos of attesting and what happens on the day....on the paper you get handed to you, is what you read from it the same whatever force you're in?? did that make sense?

      • Like
    • 11 replies
    • 667 views
  6. DalSingh
    Started by DalSingh,

    I have a interview coming up next week. I'm going to be assessed on a lot of merit criteria. I'm stuck on a few... Could someone please give me some example or even breakdown what they are looking for when it comes to Respect, Initiative, and Judgement? I know the panel is going to ask me "show me a time you showed respect" My response would be I volunteered at a mosque and to avoid being disrespectful I made sure I tried to respect every aspect of there cultural while I was in there place of worship. I just dont know what to say if they ask me "show me at time you showed respect, initiative, and judgement when it comes to your current job I know lot of people are …

      • Like
    • 14 replies
    • 591 views
  7. Valdore
    Started by Valdore,

    Hi all, I was just wondering if any of you have any good suggestions for things I could look into while I wait for the next time I can apply to the Specials. I intend to work on the competency side of things, to develop those, but I'm trying to think of other things that could help my application as well. Thanks in advance!

    • 7 replies
    • 520 views
  8. mcb88
    Started by mcb88,

    Hi all, To cut a long story short. I was a PCSO application that passed but was cut due to budgets. We were offered a few options we could apply for and one was communication officer based at either Hendon, Lambeth or Bow. I have passed my comms test and medical and now going through vetting. We have been told a few weeks back we are due to start march 2013. Now these new budget cuts have come about for police management and Police Staff. Does anyone know how we stand now with the application. Are they going to cancel all recruitment for comms officers? Is there any chance the recruitment could be still going ahead? I have heard they need comms officers desperately. Tha…

      • Like
    • 287 replies
    • 14.5k views
  9. LeanneSC
    Started by LeanneSC,

    Hi guys....and girls I've just downloaded the 'Police Fitness' app on my phone, just had a nose & I'm just wondering a few things.... 1) Bleep Test Do you just have to be able to run for 5-10 minutes? Do you have to run from one end of the room to another in time with the beeps or just run at whatever speed you like for the set amount of time? 2) Push and Pull Test There are quite a few push & pulls to do by the looks of things, which I'm going to have to start practising or I'll fail after pushing or pulling one weight haha! How long do you have to do each technique for? Crunches, push ups etc

      • Like
    • 22 replies
    • 1.5k views
  10. calvin1546081398
    Started by calvin1546081398,

    Hello, so last year I was unsuccessful at an interview and as a result had to wait 6 months to re-apply, application been accepted now. Interview next week, seems from the documents they've sent me it's going to be roughly the same what they're looking at. Little stuck on some areas, although I'm fairly confident with what i've found through research. "Who would you be working with outside ----- police ?" : It is my understanding you could find yourself working with local authorities to enforce policies/hotspot areas, local neighbourhoods to talk to them about the community they live in, possibly CPS about charging someone if required for a more serious offence. Local…

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 459 views
    calvin1546081398
  11. Phillipo1974
    Started by Phillipo1974 +,

    Hi guys, Just have a question regarding previous employment as I am applying for the specials. . I have been working full time for over a decade but 3 years ago I did some part time work for 4 months on a self employed basis. I stupidly did not declare my earnings. As I am applying for the specials will this show up on any vetting/ checks? If it does any advise on what to do? Can you still declare this to hrmc? Thanks

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 524 views
    Administrative Account
  12. Jaffers
    Started by Jaffers,

    What does it mean "the Chief Officer reserves the right to refuse a clearance, without giving reason, therefore np feedback will be given." Does that mean its a third party issue? Or go away and never comeback. Any thaughts welcome. Thanks.

      • Like
    • 12 replies
    • 775 views
  13. flanders2013
    Started by flanders2013,

    Hi all I am new to the forum and I am very impressed. I am hoping to apply for the PSNI come their intake in autumn. I have been working in security the past ten years and this is something that I have always wanted to do. That and given the peace process and how well the province is coming along I think now is the time. I have a few questions regarding vetting. In 2005 I was charge with TWOC and going by the PSNI Q&A's I can not apply until ten years have past the date of conviction, this is the only charge I have had. Their were contributing factors to this and why I was convicted of this and not something less, which I will not get into on a public forum so I …

      • Like
    • 21 replies
    • 7.1k views
    GoneForgotten
  14. LeanneSC
    Started by LeanneSC,

    Is there anywhere that gives you example questions and answers for the interview just to give me an idea of what they could ask? I haven't even had a reponse for my application form yet, but just want to prepare myself incase I end up having an interview :new_yes:

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 422 views
  15. The Machine
    Started by The Machine,

    I have been a Special for nearly 20 years and Im keen to know what other forces do for thier Special Constables. Im involved in our force focus group and whenever the mention of money or expenses is mentioned its doesnt go down too well. I know some forces pay a meal allowance if you can produce a reciept from when on duty and some forces pay an attendance allowance as well as travel expenses. Please can you let me know what your force do then at the next focus group I can bring the subject up and hopefully add weight to the debate.

    Aran PatrolStore

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.