Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. LMAB90
    Started by LMAB90,

    Hi all, I've been advised to practice SHL practice tests in preparation for numerical and verbal reasoning tests which I will shortly be undertaking. I've had a look at some of the practice numerical tests and I think they're absolutely solid! http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html Does anyone agree? Are the real tests likely to be this difficult?

    • 8 replies
    • 1.6k views
  2. I99
    Started by I99,

      • Like
    • 270 replies
    • 22.7k views
    Administrative Account
  3. sonicfrisbee
    Started by sonicfrisbee * ,

    Hi, So this may seem like an odd, or obvious question. But with regards to long hair, how is it usually looked upon in force? Are views very much gender specific? I'm a guy with long hair (shoulder length), I'm considering applying for the specials but, as vain as it is, I'd really not have to lose my hair, especially for a voluntary position. I may feel differently if I were applying for the regular force. Would appreciate people's insight on this. Thanks

      • Like
    • 15 replies
    • 1.3k views
  4. AmIObligedtoAnswerThat
    Started by AmIObligedtoAnswerThat,

    Hi, I'm 16 and leave school in a few months and i am committed to joining the Police .I am aware of the affect on social life , family life etc and that it isn't always exciting/interesting , but there isn't much else that I would want to be doing as a career. Apart from improving fitness and trying to get decent grades , can you offer any advice as to what I can do to improve my chances of getting in? I assume getting a job that involves dealing with public (retail/supermarket store) would be a good start.Thanks.

      • Like
    • 9 replies
    • 797 views
  5. scl.87
    Started by scl.87,

    Hi did anybody attend the assessment day on 9th? I am now anxiously awaiting my results! Does anybody know roughly how long I will have to wait? It's killing me! Thanks

    • 10 replies
    • 501 views
  6. Eggnog
    Started by Eggnog,

    Profuse apologies in advance if another thread similar to this exists. I'm just wondering if, without going into too much detail, many forces have a different internal recruitment process for PCs? In my force the application is identical whether you're applying externally, which hasn't happened for 5 odd years anyway, or internally. The thing I think is that we should have much more emphasis on our performance throughout our Specials careers, rather than at-face-value interviews etc. I've never applied internally, but I see some people make it in full-time, and others that don't, and think how can this be when I know how they perform as Specials, or indeed as Police Sta…

    • 2 replies
    • 410 views
  7. DanTheOutlaw
    Started by DanTheOutlaw,

    I have the list of the core competencies I will be assessed on they are; Personal responsibility Teamwork Effective communication Respect for diversity Customer and community focus I am currently preparing myself for these competencies however, I was wondering if they will throw any surprise competencies my way. I've heard of people being asked about a time they were resilient etc, If it's not on my briefing pack then how likely is it that I will be asked something like this? Do they ask any none competency based questions if they have not warned me beforehand? I am NOT asking for any specific answers I'm just wondering if I should put all my effort into my curren…

      • Like
    • 9 replies
    • 1k views
    Administrative Account
  8. Jakers!
    Started by Jakers!,

    So after a grand total of 12 months, I am through the vetting process. Been given a course start date at the start of January. Just wondering if there are any suggestions or pointers on anything I can do to prepare myself beforehand? Any specific reading material or resources I can look up on would be very helpful if anyone has any! Really looking forward to 2014. Feeling accomplished

      • Like
    • 21 replies
    • 1.1k views
  9. aaron91
    Started by aaron91,

    Morning Guys , Basically just wanting your personal opinions on something that recently arose. I am currently a Special Constable serving for my local force (Remaining Un-named). They recently had a recruitment drive and I applied internally to become a regular. Yesterday I received a letter through the post saying that I had been rejected because of a tattoo that I have , although I had this tattoo when I became a Special. So basically , they don't mind me doing it for free In my own time , wearing an under shirt , but they wont take me on as a regular. I personally think that this is absolutely disgusting and I now cannot help but feel remorse towards the force , I am …

      • Like
    • 31 replies
    • 2.6k views
  10. Lawyer84
    Started by Lawyer84 * ,

    Hello all, First time poster - please go easy on me. Pleased to say I have been asked to attend the Assessment Centre in respect of my recent Specials application. Can anyone tell me whether Specials go through the same assessment process as a PC applicant? I.E do Specials have to do the role plays, written, verbals tests etc etc. Are we sent out a welcome pack in advance of the assessment? Many thanks A

    • 7 replies
    • 527 views
  11. oMIKEYo
    Started by oMIKEYo,

    Hi there, sorry this is my first post and I know this will have been covered so many times before however I'm using my phone and this is playing on my mind. I sent my application in as a Special in October and have been invited to an assessment centre at the end of this month. So that's all good ! Anyways, my question is regarding when they actually do the checks that they're going to do on me. Within my application I mentioned my cautions and speeding fines etc. I have 2 cautions which are over 5 years old, 1 (or maybe even both) where back when I was a juvenile. I was also given a referral order nearly 10 years ago however to my understanding a referral order isn't a…

    • 2 replies
    • 404 views
  12. Zekke
    Started by Zekke,

    Hi All, I have been thinking of applying for the police for a while and read that asthma will be considered. Does anyone know how likely i will be to be accepted with asthma? Thanks

      • Like
    • 16 replies
    • 4.9k views
  13. tangoecho
    Started by tangoecho,

    Hi there, Does anyone know what this will include at all as i've just been told I have to do this after not doing so well on the first hearing test. Cheers

      • Like
    • 78 replies
    • 3.1k views
  14. dzdoris
    Started by dzdoris,

    Hello, I would have posted in my force's section but my last question has gone unanswered. Think I've made a boo boo. I have my Specials interview on Wednesday, so far I've completed online tests, fitness test and biometric tests. On my application form one of the questions asked whether I'd previously applied to be a police officer and what had I done to prepare since. I answered 'not applicable' as I didn't think it would be relevant. I did apply to be a police officer for Greater Manchester Police but that was 18 years ago and a different force to what I'm applying to now? (I only got as far as passing the entrance and fitness test but ended up moving to Germany). N…

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 579 views
  15. Jaffers
    Started by Jaffers,

    I failed vetting with my chosen force and was never told why, but i had an idea why. Just wondering has anyone, or anyone heard of someone applying again and passing? My circumstances have changed recently so im hoping that will solve it, if it was the reason i failed. Ive got a feeling that once youve failed it does not matter you will always fail. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

    • 8 replies
    • 803 views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.