Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. DS Warner
    Started by DS Warner,

    Having a look at courses related to my main subject choice (Law) and I am starting to consider some of the Policing degrees. Preferably the ones which have a bit of other stuff in it such as criminology etc... which look better to employers outside of the job as opposed to BA or Fda Policing... something like BSc Policing, Investigation and Criminology might look better. I'm looking into the foundation degrees too but I'm not sure, as some of them in essence seem to be basically the same Specials Training (IL4SC) that I am in the process of already doing as a Special!!! One of the ones I'm really giving thought to: http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/Subjects/Policing/Und…

      • Like
    • 16 replies
    • 1.4k views
  2. louse123
    Started by louse123 * ,

    Hi everyone, just a quick question have currently completed the behavioural judgement test which i scored 96% (above average), and the situation test online, i received a conditional caution back in september. How is this going to affect my application and getting into the specials? Thanks

      • Like
    • 12 replies
    • 1.2k views
    Administrative Account
  3. Lego1546082303
    Started by Lego1546082303,

    Hey, sorry for posting my questions in here but my local forces website is not that helpful and I do not want to annoy them by phoning! I've been considering applying to become a special for sometime now, as a career as a PC is the only thing I want to do! I want to get as much information as I can before applying though to try and see how much of a chance I have. Do they look at your qualifications in-depth? or do they look at you as a person more? The reason I ask is that I didn't do all that well in my GCSEs...I do have a L2 Diploma and I'm currently on a L3 extended diploma course IT If I did apply, I'd be applying through Avon & Somerset.. Anyone had…

    • 7 replies
    • 407 views
  4. Matt Essex SC
    Started by Matt Essex SC,

    Evening all, It has been a while since I last posted on here after I thought that I stuffed up my application! Luckily it seemed that everything was okay. Since my last post ive been on a fitness regime to sort out some of my lagging fitness and reduce my BMI a bit - with great success in only 4 weeks from a bmi of 34 down to 29 skimming my way into the acceptable band. Just got to keep it up now! Had my official medical last week and got the clean bill from the doc, phoned up and got my uniform fitting booked in for 15th December and today i received my email offering me the provisional post of Special Constable! Vetting must still be going on as just got to await a …

    • 8 replies
    • 641 views
  5. UKPolice
    Started by UKPolice,

    I have posted this over in the force specific forum, but it's dead! So, I applied to Norfolk Constabulary for the role of PC at the beginning of November and heard back from them last week. The letter stated that I had passed the initial stage (paper sift) and I am invited to attend a SEARCH Assessment, date tbc. Was wondering if anyone else had applied? Also, those from Norfolk/been there, what's it like in terms of policing? I did some research on satistics and it had around 6000 crimes in 2012 compared to the 16,000 South Yorkshire had! I'm just worried it'll be too quiet. Thoughs?

    • 4 replies
    • 457 views
  6. Lornajeanx
    Started by Lornajeanx * ,

    Hello everyone. I've visited this site a few times due to my interest in the police force. I'm now awaiting my interview tomorrow and I'm worrying. I know I shouldn't be, I'd just like to have a few tips/ a bit of advise on what to expect on the day. It is with the West Yorkshire police based in Wakefield. The main things I'm worrying about is the competency questions - Service Delivery, Working with others, Professionalism and openness to change. I've read the booklet I received over email and understand the descriptions of the competencies but can anyone advise me on how to answer in a structured manor? I know there's the STAR one - situation, task, A??? and result b…

    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
  7. Swannatron
    Started by Swannatron,

    Hey people. I'm having a bit of trouble thinking of odeas for an application question - Describe a time when you encouraged someone to view a situation more positively. All I'm asking for help with is ideas to get my mind working. I just can't think of decent examples. Quite a weird question. Hope someone can help me get started :-D

      • Like
    • 11 replies
    • 696 views
  8. oMIKEYo
    Started by oMIKEYo,

    Yayyyyyy!!!!! I had my assessment centre 2 weeks ago and got my letter today saying that I am successful and they're inviting me to final interviews mid-jan! I'm over the moon! I hope the others who are hoping to join the force got the same great news too! I thought I had done rubbish and if anyone read my post about my experience then they will know, but I guess I did enough!! Now to get preparing...! -M

    • 4 replies
    • 413 views
  9. Lego1546082303
    Started by Lego1546082303,

    Hey all, long time lurker of this site but only just decided to sign up. I've recently turned 19 and at the same time the special recruitment for my area has opened up, but is it worth applying at 19 or am I seen as being too young? Should I wait a few years? as from looking at potential interview questions I'd probably have a hard time answering a few due to lack of life experiences... Becoming a police officer is my dream career, but I don't want to look like an idiot by wasting their time by applying at 19... Opinions?

      • Like
    • 24 replies
    • 603 views
  10. jack1231
    Started by jack1231,

    So I've got my Day 2 tomorrow morning and debating what to actually wear for the day, Do I still go with smart business or can i wear anything else other than that? What did you wear for your day 2 and would it hinder anything if you didn't dress smart? thanks

    • 4 replies
    • 396 views
  11. dc543
    Started by dc543,

    Hi, Does anyone know of any HO Forces accepting SEARCH scores? I already know Herts are. Thanks.

    • 5 replies
    • 539 views
  12. beez25
    Started by beez25 * ,

    I really would like to become a regular one day but before I apply for the specials I would like some answers as to weather you think my vetting will become a problem. I have never had and convictions or cautions, my only issue is that I was a vitcim of domestic abuse many years ago by my partner. I reported these incidents to the police on several occasions and always dropped the charges. I live with the same partner and we have children and we are a strong family unit, we are extremely happy and there is no domestic violence what so ever. However, I am really worried that if I go through the whole process and they finally vet me, would these incidents cause a problem …

    • 17 replies
    • 1.2k views
  13. jack1231
    Started by jack1231,

    Hey guys, I'm filling out my forms ready for Day2 and its asked for a reference number, where would i find this or do i not have one yet? Also i am going through my medical questionnaire and its says to tick anything you've had before or currently have. I had really bad asthma as a kid which is about 16 years ago now and not had a problem since, should i just tick yes and put what i've put here? thanks for any help which will be provided

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 442 views
  14. wannabe03
    Started by wannabe03,

    Does the vetting get carried out on you when your application form for the specials (police scotland) has been handed in? Or is vetting done at a later stage? Its really confusing because you hand in your vetting form along with your application form. Surely the police would vet you and check that you are suitable before they consider your application right?

    • 13 replies
    • 996 views
  15. TW344
    Started by TW344 * ,

    Hello. I have just passed the assessment stage of my Special Constable application (Cambridge). The next part is the vetting. There is one particular part which worries me. The medical history. Last year I struggled with sciatica. Since my bad "spell" I have been discharged from the consultants and been signed fit for work. However since coming off my medication I have gained weight. I am on a diet to shed it and I know I can get back to a heathy BMI by next April (When training starts) I'm just worried that my application will get rejected when they see this and put 2 and 2 together Also whilst on the subject does anybody know how much it is to get the Drs signa…

    • 8 replies
    • 508 views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.