Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. fallenangel
    Started by fallenangel,

    hello i was wondering if someone could please tell me if the pirt is something that everyone who applies to the specials has to do or is it dependant upon the area you are applying for? also a lot of the regular officers i have spoken to do not know what i am talking about when i mention it to them is this because they do not go through this to become a regular?

  2. venomco1546620133
    Started by venomco1546620133,

    As the topic title says, I'm thinking of applying to Avon and Somerset (when I'm 18) and I'd ideally like to join the Regs but as the application process appears to take an age, I was wondering if I could apply to the Specials while I wait, or does the process take equally as long? (I've sort of asked this question in another topic but thought for future reference this would stand out more) Thanks, Tom

  3. LouSmiler
    Started by LouSmiler,

    Just trying to find out about the fitness tests for specials. Is it the same as regular officer's? Is it the bleep test and push/pull test? I did get sent some info on it but can't find it!! What's the distance of the bleep test? Isn't there 2 distance's? And i have no idea about the push/pull, is there anyway to practice this? Thanks

    • 12 replies
    • 3.2k views
  4. egnt77
    Started by egnt77,

    I am worried about the criminal history of my mothers husband and if it will have a negative impact on my application. He has quite a colourful history to say the least. I am 30 years old married with a child and have lived apart from my parents for roughly 10 years. My mother and Father divorced around 8 years ago and she met this wally and decided to marry him 4 years ago. Will he have an impact on my application considering we try our best to have very little to do with him and perhaps see him once every few months for half an hour at the most (he knows we dont really like him)? My mother usually visits our home alone.

    • 14 replies
    • 3.1k views
  5. MrLee1546620050
    Started by MrLee1546620050,

    Hi, I noticed on most police forces websites they say that you can't be a special constable if you are employed as a security guard. Why is this? I do work long hours but i'd be more than able to cope with the minimum 4 hours a week. Is it something to do with data protection? I would really like to become a special. Thanks.

    • 5 replies
    • 2.5k views
  6. dixie2007
    Started by dixie2007,

    Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I had my PIRT test, fitness and interview for the Hampshire Specials on Tuesday the 4th Dec at Hamble. Passed and am now waiting for the medical details to clear and should start training in Feb. 1. Anyone else starting training in Feb? 2. can anyone offer any advice? Dixie2007

    • 10 replies
    • 3.6k views
  7. OfficerBen
    Started by OfficerBen,

    I was told to aim to get my form back within two weeks, but it looks like it will be a bit longer than that by the time my doctor signs my medical form. (about 3 weeks from the recruitment night) Do you think this will matter?

  8. LouSmiler
    Started by LouSmiler,

    Just got a letter. Got my date for the PIRT, 6th March. Says it starts at 19.00 and lasts for about 3 hours. Why so late!?? Ive got to drive a good 2-3 hours to get there and back! Are they always at this time of the day?? Just after some advice on it. I didn't realise they would be so quick in given me a date! Its excellent. Does anyone know if i can buy the PIRT book, this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/...239&s=books can i buy it in a book shop or is it something i can only get online!? I need one pretty quick, test is next week. Also, just wondering how long i get for each section roughly? Would be useful to know so i can practice against some…

    • 1 reply
    • 1.3k views
  9. vixy1504
    Started by vixy1504,

    Hiya, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was in a relationship where there was alot of violence towards me, my ex partner is now in jail and me and my daughter are no longer having anything to do with him. It has always been a bit of a ambition to join the force, although I currently work as a midwife. The whole way the police dealt with the whole DV thing (they were fantastic!) spurred me onto actually joining. However as it will be quite a big career change I want to try in the specials for about a year or so just to double check that it's what I want to do and am suited to it before I quit my current job. I filled out my application and got a friend who is a…

  10. scousebobby
    Started by scousebobby,

    I am currently 20 yrs old (male) and looking into joining Merseyside Police as a special. Could anyone who has a knowledge of Merseyside Police (maybe a serving officer) come on and offer me any advice on joining. Things I have been thinking about are Am I maybe a bit young for the job? Would it interfere with my regular job? Would I be posted anywhere or could I choose etc. As well as anything you think I should know or might be useful to me... Cheers...

    OldMemberNewName
  11. Dave40
    Started by Dave40,

    Hi, I was just woundering, if a police officer or special, is off duty and whitnesses a crime being commited for example if your walking thru the town center and you see 2 people fighting or someone smashing a window what would you have too do?? as a member of the public you are not abliged to do anything, but as a police officer (even tho off duty) are you able to step in and get involved?? (after all someone as commited a crime) But without your uniform are you still considered a police officer, also you dont have your radio, batton or CS spray therefore you could be risking your own saftey!! Thanks for any replys. Dave40.

    • 3 replies
    • 1.8k views
  12. Skeptocynic
    Started by Skeptocynic,

    To say who I am - I'm 19, male and have just passed the paper sift stages for Essex Special Constabulary. I realise there is significant differences between each force, but I'd very much appriciate any input from experiences of those on other forces. 1. In regard to training - When it is said "weekends" or "the weekend" what does this mean exactly? Does this mean (timewise) 9-5 on both days? I was told at my open evening that we would likely be given a choice between every other weekend or every Sunday for however long. Would the Sunday option be a 9-5 deal to? 2. I have very little work experience. College was a bit full on and I've never had an immidiate need to wor…

  13. richard payne
    Started by richard payne,

    Can anyone help me please I sat my Pirt test and had my interview for essex specials last night.........I think the interview went ok, however i messed up on one of the tests....but did well in the other 3. Does anyone know if there is a basic pass mark for the individual tests and what it is?.... i think that if all my scores are added together i would easily achieve 60% overall but i think that my the test i did badly on will only score about 55%.

    • 2 replies
    • 1.7k views
  14. scrickles
    Started by scrickles * ,

    Me again... I just thought you guys would be able to help me on this... I'm a documentary film-maker (student at the mo, hopefully turning pro this summer, fingers crossed). I'm making a film about the Specials - the purpose being to clear up some of the myths floating around about them, and to help towards putting an end towards the ridiculous stereotyping/ignorance that people react with whenever the Specials are mentioned. I only have to look at some of the discussions on this forum to see that there is a certain amount of discrimination going on, even within the force itself! What I'd like to do is get some willing volunteers onboard to do some filming - some interv…

    Dogs of Blackpool
  15. shoaib89
    Started by shoaib89,

    As the title says my app to MET got rejected, mainly becuase I am a Parking Attendant AKA Traffic Warden. What you think guys? Shoaib

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.