Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. korgscrew
    Started by korgscrew,

    Had my interview today for a police staff job in SS. I think the assessment went ok, it was pretty informal and was myself in that. Then came the questions in the interview! I went all hot and could feel my face going red. I'd done loads of prep with the competencies with 3 examples for each. The questions didn't match ANY of them.... To me it felt like I was constantly garbling. Went quiet mid sentence for what felt like 30 mins and I didn't understand one question and even said "sorry, I don't understand the question" "If you were to be successful, who would you look to in your team for support as you will mainly be working alone" I just said it's important to …

      • Like
    • 2 replies
    • 424 views
  2. Jamesss
    Started by Jamesss * ,

    Hi all, Hope you can help on this one. I'm in the process of applying and I've been told that I'll need a BPSS check. My question is regarding employment histories, primarily the 3 year verifiable history that BPSS needs. For the last 24 months, I've got a totally verifiable history - a year bask at uni and a year working. For the 12 months prior, I was taking a career break. I wasn't working, and I wasn't claiming benefits as I had savings. With the exception of a couple of months travelling, I was in the country. I can get references for years prior to this - it's just that 12 month gap that still sits inside the three year history. Do you think that this will be …

    • 8 replies
    • 588 views
  3. Eddzz!!
    Started by Eddzz!! +,

    Hi all - I am new to the forums. I am soon to start my training as a Special Constable in North Wales Police. Having passed the PIR, interview, Welsh test and medical I am eagerly awaiting the training. I am slightly apprehensive about the certain language barriers that I will face once I set foot out on the streets. I have been able to demonstrate my Welsh language abilities enough to enter the force, but I can't hold a conversation. I understand some Welsh, but find it difficult to respond in Welsh after being addressed (mostly a confidence thing). For those who know: how difficult am I going to find it, in both dealing with the public and my colleagues, being primarily…

    • 19 replies
    • 1k views
  4. StarScream
    Started by StarScream,

    how do forces around the Country treat applicants who suffer from Crohns disease. I have heard of serving officers who suffer from Crohns/Colitis and have no issues and their performance is not hindered by their condition. The reason I'am asking is I have gone through the application process for the CNC. I passed every stage including the medical yet I had to go for a RAP (risk assessment panel) for review with regards to my Crohns. I have been in remission for over 17 years with no issues. yet I was turnt down due to the 'unknown risk' with regards to Crohns disease and that they can't afford to not be running at 100% staffing levels. My own GP feels this is extreme…

    • 5 replies
    • 764 views
  5. korgscrew
    Started by korgscrew,

    Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before! Finally got an interview date for CSI. Ive already prepped my competencies in advance. Now, effective communication. Is this assessed during my interview or will I have to give an example? Looking at the framework and the negative indicators it seems as though this will be assessed during the interview, the positive ones make it sound like I need to give an example. Im struggling to find an example of this except a crossover from my Race & diversity section. Any help would be great! Ta!

    • 3 replies
    • 452 views
  6. Frank Castle
    Started by Frank Castle,

    As the topic suggests, any recommended books for student Police Officers?

    • 4 replies
    • 439 views
  7. wshtHCA
    Started by wshtHCA,

    So I have an interview for specials in Sussex on Monday and it is based on the Sussex Police Values. I'm not sure what I should be actually thinking off in terms of examples etc Some of the values are confusing sorry. On a side note have the sticky threads been looked at recently? Some appear to make no sense now or have broken links. sussex_police_values.pdf

    • 2 replies
    • 672 views
    Reasonable Man +
  8. Wahgie
    Started by Wahgie * ,

    Hi Im asking on behalf of my boyfriend who has just been offered a part time prison warden job. Hes currently at uni and his dream has always been to be a police officer. Would being a prison warden first help or hinder his application? Should he also apply for specials next time they open again (he was rejected the last time) or will he not be allowed to do both?

      • Like
    • 13 replies
    • 708 views
  9. MrMoo
    Started by MrMoo,

    There are many books, guides, and cd's available to help guide you through the application process and competency based questions I just wondered on people's opinion of their actual value, and if you managed to comfortably make your way through recruitment without reading or watching one of these? If it helps, I'd like to slant this question towards BTP Special Recruitment Thanks!

    • 1 reply
    • 275 views
  10. korgscrew
    Started by korgscrew,

    Hey guys sorry if this has been asked before! Ive been looking at my Credit History from a few sites, and all is well. No CCJ's, bankruptcies etc. Years and years ago I ordered a mobile phone but returned it as it was unsuitable, but I was still being charged and was told to stop the DD. I was still getting bills and got a debt collectors letter too. It all got sorted out in the end. Also, I'm sure there was something similar but I can't remember what it was and I'm paranoid that if I don't mention it as I don't remember ill fail the check. My Question is, is it the history they check that is available on Experian etc or can they go further back than what I an see? If…

      • Like
    • 4 replies
    • 534 views
  11. korgscrew
    Started by korgscrew,

    Hey all! (First post) Ive recently applied for a specialist role with scientific support. Although, a disciplinary I had only a few months ago is playing on my mind. Basically I accidentally swore during a client VO session, plus there were some errors to the final product that wasnt my fault. I wasn't aware the client could hear me. The clients had a laugh about it and i was extremely embarrassed! The account manager who was there told his boss' boss who told his boss' boss and then I suddenly had a disciplinary hearing to which I was given a verbal warning by my manager. I was told it would be on my record for 12 months. The position has closed and I haven't anything…

    • 5 replies
    • 817 views
  12. Frank Castle
    Started by Frank Castle,

    Does anyone know which forces allow you to transfer SEARCH assessment scores?

    • 5 replies
    • 460 views
  13. AlphaVictor
    Started by AlphaVictor * ,

    Hello this is my first post of what may become many or depending on the answers to this post my last Ok so I am 58 and am finally at a stage in my life where I have the opportunity to become a special. I am still what I consider fit and healthy I have no medical problems and take no medications ( although I will need to do some serious training to pass the bleep test) I ride and run a horse stable yard which is quite heavy work lifting dragging etc. and out work a lot of the youngsters there. I know that there is no upper age limit as such and provided I can pass all the tests I can get in,but and I feel its a big but after going to all the effort of getting in will I …

      • Like
    • 48 replies
    • 2.2k views
  14. Joe_bloggs
    Started by Joe_bloggs,

    Hi guys and gals Its one of them age old post about recruitment Im In a pickle and need advice/ Kick up the rear I like most of the people on here want to join full time ( Appoligies about my Spelling in advance ) ME Previously served as a PSV( Police Support Volunteer ) - 2 Yrs Serving Special Constable ( If they Keep Me) - 2 1/2 Yrs Current Staff member - 6 Months 10 Yrs pervious experiance with Scouting leadership and Volunteering with in the community etc Age 24 ( but most members of the public think 16) Have done quiet a few jobs from Bar work to working on sites to Military etc Even too 2 yrs out of work to do SC full time ( I know stupid me ) Recruitme…

    • 1 reply
    • 401 views
  15. Potential Special
    Started by Potential Special,

    Just wondering does anybody know of people failing vetting first time they applied then being successful on their second attempt?? I failed vetting in June for no obvious reason and am considering re-applying in 6 months. Thanks

    • 14 replies
    • 2k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.