Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Onslaught
    Started by Onslaught * ,

    Hello, Back in aug I was looking at at police jobs and read somewhere that to be a special you would need to be a PCSO first and they change after a year as they are not recruiting for specials anymore. So and I looked on the police website but all there was was an "event" but that was 2 months away, so I ended up applying for a PCSO but now I see some special application forms up but no borough vacancy list. Am I stuck and did I make the wrong choice as I would rather be a special then a PCSO.

    • 0 replies
    • 654 views
  2. CalvinK
    Started by CalvinK,

    Hey, I've just received confirmation my Special Constable interview will be this Tuesday. I was just wondering whether it is similar to the regulars interview, in that it is structured around the core compentencies, or not? Also should I bring my Record of Achievement or not? I'm really nervous about it, really, but weird enough rather excited too. Many thanks!

    • 5 replies
    • 963 views
  3. ShaneC
    Started by ShaneC,

    me being ever so optimistic, i was wondering say if i failed the PIRT/interview for the MET would i be able to apply to be a SC again with the BTP (within the same time frame that is)

    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
  4. Somner
    Started by Somner,

    I am finally working through my application to West Mercia Specials. I am now on the competency question and am in the process of answering it. I can't really think of any answers, except for one. The question is: It is vitally important that Special Constables respect the lifestyle, culture or beliefs of others even if these differ significantly from the officer's own views. Give an example of when you have shown respect for someone with a deep rooted belief. This may be a religious, cultural, ethical or moral belief or some important aspect of their lifestyle I believe my answer will fall under "some important aspect of their lifestyle" although I am unsure whether i…

  5. dogstar
    Started by dogstar,

    Sorry if this comes across as a strange question but any help with this would be appreciated. Is it possible to be employed as a PCSO but also to be a volunteer Special and if so do your Special Constable powers come into play whilst working as a PCSO??

  6. scousebobby
    Started by scousebobby,

    Got my PIRT for Merseyside Specials this month at Canning Place. Anybody got any advice for me? I recently attended the Merseyside Regulars Assessment Centre and only failed by 1%. Is the Specials PIRT any more difficult, any similarities etc. Any useful advice or pointers?

    • 6 replies
    • 1k views
  7. Imspecial
    Started by Imspecial,

    Hey all! Im new to joining the forum but thought you guys might be able to help me with something regarding joining the specials. Ive applied to join Humberside about 2-3 weeks ago when I posted off my application to the recruiting teams, since then i've heard nothing!Is this a normal amount of time to be waiting for a reply? Any adivice would be much appreciated as im a bit confused about it all at the moment Cheers in advance

    • 6 replies
    • 1.1k views
  8. Fairfax
    Started by Fairfax,

    Regarding the cross over between applications. Im considering applying as a special, then applying as a regular when the next recruitment window for my force opens around March time. Also, I failed recruitment for the regulars 3 months ago - does the 6 months rule apply to the specials or does it not? basically, can I apply for the specials even though the 6 months has not elapsed?

    • 3 replies
    • 748 views
    specialteacher1546081026
  9. Imspecial
    Started by Imspecial,

    Hey all, Im in the process of applying to be a Special in Humberside, anyone here got any info on whats involved in a typical shift on a weekend or during the week? Cheers

    • 5 replies
    • 1.6k views
  10. Payback
    Started by Payback,

    Hello, I've recently been thinking about joining as a special whilst in full time college, and thought you would have to be 18.3 years or more, but looking through Hampshire Constabualry recruitment pages I found this: Eligibility requirements include: Applicants must be over the age of 17.5 years, there is no upper age limit. Only applications from member states of the European Economic Area, or other nationals who have leave to enter or remain in the UK for an indefinite period will be accepted. All applicants must have lived in the UK for three years immediately prior to submitting an application. Convictions or cautions could make you ineligible (this will d…

    • 11 replies
    • 1.4k views
  11. MM841546620326
    Started by MM841546620326,

    Weekends or in the evening? (here's hoping) or are they during weekdays when I'm working?

    • 6 replies
    • 808 views
  12. Bluebird1546620198
    Started by Bluebird1546620198,

    A friend of mine is a special and although he wants to join the job eventually he wants to wait tillhes a bit older. He is thinking of applying for a DDO but can he still be a special at the same time or is it a conflict of interest

    • 0 replies
    • 546 views
    Bluebird1546620198
  13. deanoreynolds
    Started by deanoreynolds,

    Evening all, Ive posted a similar topic recently about my interview. For those who are un-aware, my interview is competency based. Ive got help from sevral serving officers, but could someone tell me if the STRUCTURE of my interview will be the same as the regs? (4 questions 5 minsutes for each to answer). Cheers guys/gals Dean

  14. pat89
    Started by pat89,

    Hi just joined Just passed my interview and i have filled out my medical questionnaire. just wanted to know how strict are the specials on sick days. Im currently at uni and have a part time job as well. The police sent off my references after i passed the paper sift. They sent two references one to my employer and one to my college. The one they sent to my employer asked for my sickness days (which is fine as i have only had two days off). however the one they sent to my college didn't ask for my sickness days (ive had lessons off at college on numerous occasions but not a full day, also i cant find out what days ive had off as its presented as a percentage and only…

    • 5 replies
    • 867 views
  15. deanoreynolds
    Started by deanoreynolds,

    Morning guys, been up since 8 awaiting my letter from Sussex about my PIR test and passed! A massive weight lifted. But oh no! What i failed on when applying as a PC has come back to haunt me and now i have an interview on the COMPETENCY BASED questions! Any help, or just pray =] Bought a book by Ian Hutchison which is amazing to those who don't have it, it is a must!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.