Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Ash89rr
    Started by Ash89rr,

    I applied to become a special with Cambs back in August. Unfortunetly at the time I was not aware of the restricted occupations and my current job led to an instant rejection of my application. I am aware that you have to wait 6 months before applying again, but does anyone know if this 6 month period starts from the day you applied or the day you receive conformation that your application has been unsuccessful? Many thanks, Ash

    • 4 replies
    • 591 views
  2. special#1
    Started by special#1,

    Hi, I had a phone call today from the Inspector at the station which I applied to, inviting me to an interview. I was just wondering what I can expect?? I get nervous about things like this but excitied too! I have already passed the paper sift and assessment centre so this is the next BIG step.

    • 2 replies
    • 623 views
  3. shortman
    Started by shortman,

    Hi once again, another question. My friend went to the same assesment centre as me, same day, same time. we both passed, and sent vetting off at exact same day. however; he has recived confirmation of passing the vetting, where as i have not heard anything over a week after him? any advice. worth getting in touch? (i know 99.9% will tell me to wait ) however, we both don't have the same local branch.... i understand from reading, once CRB people seen it, its sent to your local branch before letting you know??? starting to get restless, i have no convictions, never been in trouble, no traffic offences. yet i still worry mehhHHHHHHH

      • Like
    • 13 replies
    • 982 views
  4. Adz
    Started by Adz,

    I've put together this diary to help all those thinking of joining, hopefully it should help! My life as a special started when I was at university, at the time I was studying Public Services. A friend who is now also a special was applying and kept telling me to apply as he thought I'd be good for the job. So without giving it any thought I applied, once I'd hit send that was it, I felt a stone sink to my stomach. Around two months later I received an email from a police email address, at first I wondered what I'd done but it turned out to be a recruitment officer telling me that I'd passed the paper sift. The email warned me that the real application would come…

    • 10 replies
    • 1.7k views
  5. callum1231546081158
    Started by callum1231546081158,

    Hi, Well I have finally been given my date to start my training as an SC ( January 7th ) The first day being an induction day followed by training on the Saturday. However my questions is; What is the appropriate attire for the induction day / training ( I presume we will be given our uniform at some point) ? For my interview PIRT and Medical i wore my suite but i thought this may be a little over kill for the induction day. I'm only 20 so my normal dress is a pair of jeans white plimsolls and a polo/T-shirt......but I don't want to look like some yob Thanks Callum

      • Like
    • 20 replies
    • 1.5k views
  6. mtmoore
    Started by mtmoore,

    Hi, not so long ago I tried to commit suicide by overdosing. Long story short I was taken to hospital and assessed by a mental health doctor. She said I was fine and we talked and we both came to the conclusion I wasn't a risk so I was allowed to leave but she did say she was going to write a letter to my GP to inform them of what I had done. To join the Police I know you have to go through stringent checks would this incident mean I wont be allowed to join the Police?

      • Like
    • 9 replies
    • 2.2k views
  7. Sunflower
    Started by Sunflower,

    Hi guys, I'm waiting on vetting and my concern is the money management part. I frequently go into my overdraft but occasionally go over my overdraft & wonder whether anyone may know if this would constitute as an instant rejection? Thanks in advance for your help & feedback.

    • 11 replies
    • 1.1k views
  8. Baz7193
    Started by Baz7193,

    Hi all, I am in the process of filling out the online application form for the Special Constabulary in Hertfordshire Police. I am currently serving as a Lance Corporal in 2 Rifles until march and I am looking for some guidance in relation to the questions regarding past experiances that reflect accountability, team work etc. The only real periods in my life that relate to these questions have been while on operational tours of Afghanistan, as past employment was limited to labouring etc. Are military scenarios accepted on these forms, as I haven't much experiance in public relations on civi street? Any responce will be appreciated as I am looking for a police career an…

    • 4 replies
    • 706 views
  9. cwoodcock
    Started by cwoodcock,

    Hello, I passed my day 2 on 25th November and am wondering how long people have had to wait on average before finding out their start date for training? Many thanks, Caroline

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 974 views
  10. gchoward
    Started by gchoward,

    Hello there, Im currently going through the recruitment process to be a special. I have passed my interveiw, pirt and cleared vetting. However a couple of months ago I received a letter saying that because a had a special educational need at school I had to see Clinical Psychologist, to establish how this still effects today. Until I get this done Im not allowed to progress any further with my application. As i said before this was a couple of months ago, Ive tried going through my GP to get a refferal and even tried going private, however everyone keeps telling me they are unable to do this sort of assessment. Has anyone else been asked to have an assessment like this an…

    • 6 replies
    • 688 views
    Smiley Culture +
  11. special#1
    Started by special#1,

    Hi, Ive got my fitness test for the specials this weekend and I was just wondering what I should go in? Shirt & tie? They have said to bring PE Clothing with me, so should I go in a tracksuit or trousers?! Thanks in advanced!

    • 6 replies
    • 658 views
  12. Swannatron
    Started by Swannatron,

    hi there, I wanted to clarify something, I hear that its pretty hard to pass the initial paper sift application stage to become a special... is there any truth behind that statement? I was wondering because when I submitted my application I got a response within two days giving me my assessment date saying that I have passed that stage (although I got told a tattoo I have is borderline but was aloud through because I suggested and agreed to cover it) Is the fact I got such a speedy response from recruitment a good sign that they really liked my application or that they are just speedy like that. weeks before I applied to the MET and still to this day have not had any…

    • 4 replies
    • 522 views
  13. Emma-jane123
    Started by Emma-jane123,

    Hiya Again Everyone.... I passed my Interview at Wakefield HQ..... I am so Happy.... I had a really good feeling about the whole day tho if I'm onist. Even tho I was late..!! I just want to know is they anyone in here who had theres on the same day as Me 20th of Nov 2010..??? I also want to say a massive thankyou to everyone on the site who gave me tip's and advice about my big day and how to make the most of it..!! Do anyone here also have any more adiivce whats to come and about my vetting papers. I know its kind of self explanitry but I few hand tips would help me along a bit.... . I have not yet spoke to anyone who Works in Huddersfield from the site but ive asked…

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 852 views
  14. kditchburn
    Started by kditchburn,

    Hey everyone, I'm currently in the recruitment process of becoming a SC, passed my interview and undergoing vetting and pre-employment checks. I have a question though, as in addition to my full time job I also volunteer with the Liverpool Youth Offending service as a Referral Order panel member. Would this be classed as a conflict of interest? Also, I have not listed this under employment with it being volunteer but I'm starting to think I needed to declare this, can anyone offer any advice? Thanks!

    • 5 replies
    • 673 views
  15. Azzip
    Started by Azzip,

    Hi everyone, first things first, fantastic website. I find myself spending hours reading through it. Now I've been filling out my application form to become a special recently and had a query of past cautions/convictions. 3 years ago when I was 18 I was given a warning for possessing cannabis. It's something I'm not proud of in the slightest and if could go back in time and give myself a slap then I would. Now I haven't touched the stuff since and am a different person these days but wondering how my application would be effected by it I rang up my local recruitment and asked about it. I was told that because it was under 5 years ago I would not be considered at all. A…

    • 4 replies
    • 598 views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.