Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Poppies
    Started by Poppies,

    Hi all, I have passed the PIRT and interview and have an appointment for a medical. I have put on my medical form that I have suffered from depression (not severe) in the past. As I am no longer taking any medication I am hopeful this won't affect my appointment. But has anyone else been in a similar sitiation? I would welcome advice / experiences from other people as to what happened to you - i.e. did you pass / fail etc? What further information might they ask for at the medical? Do you see a Doctor or nurse, or are you asked to get a report from your GP? I am really excited about having passed the interview and would hate to think this could ruin my chances Many …

    • 4 replies
    • 771 views
  2. gaLcH
    Started by gaLcH,

    So....finally got a response for Derbyshire in regards to my CBQ's. Got an overall of C, with C on both Planning and Organising, Race and diversity. Guttered comes to mind. I'm not too sure if I can post the response I got from the NPIA, anyone wish to clear this up? I would like to get some feedback on this. Cheers.

    • 0 replies
    • 692 views
  3. JB123
    Started by JB123,

    Evening all, I'm sure the answer to this question is "How longs a piece of string?" (Yep, you guessed the question!) but what is the average time from joining the specials to having the opportunity to join the police force full time? I've been looking out for a full time career within the police force for a while, whilst still working full time at my current job, and i've got my interview to go into the specials with Hertfordshire on the 15th January. The problem is my current shift pattern is 5 on 3 off, which I have a horrible feeling will be an inconvenience to the training schedule for the specials. I've been given the chance of a Monday-Friday job, with an 8k pa…

      • Like
    • 13 replies
    • 1.5k views
  4. braveheart_1314
    Started by braveheart_1314,

    You may get this question all the time so apologies in advance, but what kind of questions can be expected at the interview stage? I understand this can be some way off with the current situation but there is no harm in planning ahead is there? Iv read up on lots of websites and they all seem to differ slightly but cover the same main points. It would be a scottish force, not sure if there is a difference in the recruitment process through the different countries in the UK. Any help would be grateful.

    • 3 replies
    • 752 views
    braveheart_1314
  5. Gareth_h
    Started by Gareth_h,

    Hi all, I'm currently waiting for my vetting with Gwent. Does anyone know if it is anything like the security clearance required to work for a List-X company? The reason I ask is; I used to work for a List X company which were contracted to carry out work for the MOD on defence and comms systems. I had no problems with that clearance so I'm just hoping the one for SC is similar!

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 1.1k views
  6. singlelayer
    Started by singlelayer,

    I'm currently at the vetting/medical stage of my application with Humberside and had a call from the occupational health nurse to say I can't join (i.e. I stay on hold) until my BMI is below 30 -"Home Office standard"...no if's or but's. I'm currently BMI 32 (5' 9.6" & 15st 11lb), play a lot of squash (3-4 days a week) then hit the weights in the gym -although I'm no bodybuilder- and if I concentrate for the next month shouldn't have a problem, but I just wanted to vent my frustration. How can it be "Home Office standard" when I've read different forces using different measures. I'll do it, but the only purpose it'll serve other than ticking a box is make me misera…

      • Like
    • 62 replies
    • 3.9k views
  7. w20001000
    Started by w20001000,

    Hi Guys, Passed my medical yesterday. WOOT! But just wanted to shout a quick warning! Any one like me who had a rather higer BMI (35) then is allowed (30) and has been spending the last few month getting to the right weght. Be carefull how you do it! I have managed to lose 4 stone since August, by a combination of a lot of exersise and eating lot of chicken ect. However here come the Catch! I was eating to much Protean and nearly got failed for it!! when the do the test they could tell my body had been taking on to little to carbs and to much pro and was going to lead to problems if it did not change. Int he end the doc was ok with it was not by alot. And i explani…

      • Like
    • 4 replies
    • 725 views
  8. rgrand86
    Started by rgrand86,

    Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have been browsing topics for a week or so, now I figured i'd ask for a bit advice as you all seem very helpful and knowledgable about the recruitment process and any help/tips would be much appreciated! I've recently applied to be a Special and have just been sent through my date for my Police Initial Recruitment Test. I'm a little confused about what I will be tested on, on the day. My test time isn't until 18:45pm and is said to last around 'one and half to two hours' so I was wondering if this will just be the mulitple choice tests or whether this will involve written tests, intereactive exercises and an interview? In the letter t…

    • 8 replies
    • 986 views
  9. norfolklass
    Started by norfolklass,

    Hi everyone! im hopeing that you can help calm my nerves, i have my PIRT tomorrow evening....im very nervous, can anyone who has done it tell me what to expect?? i have done as much research as possible but nothing will compare to someone who has had the pleasure of the experience!! anyone else at Wymondham tomorrow night? thanks guys and gals.

    • 7 replies
    • 712 views
  10. Becky_1234
    Started by Becky_1234,

    Hi all, I am waiting for my application form to come through for West Mercia police specials (can't wait ) I was just wondering if anyone knew what the process was after the application form is filled in and sent back to recruitment?? Thanks, Becky xx

    • 2 replies
    • 565 views
  11. AlexTheKnightUK
    Started by AlexTheKnightUK,

    Hi All, I'm in the process of filling out my application form for the Nottinghamshire specials. I have come to the part about the sickness absence and I am not sure if I can answer it. I have been in 4 different jobs over the last 3 years, it says that I cannot have more than 10 days per year and 10 seperate occasions.. but I'm pretty sure if you look across all 4 jobs I will have surpassed that threshold. I have genuine reasons for the absences, most of them due to stress caused by the job role or people of the place of employment.. will they want to look across all of my jobs in the past 3 years or all of them? Any help would be great, just hope it's not a serious …

      • Like
    • 22 replies
    • 1.4k views
    AlexTheKnightUK
  12. Swannatron
    Started by Swannatron,

    Hi there, I have my assessment with Herts in January and I wanted to know how long it will be until I hear that I have hopefully passed and how long the other processes take. So how long until the medical, fitness etc after the assessment and what would the rough date when I would finish all the training and the attestation and start as a special. Cheers

      • Like
    • 5 replies
    • 713 views
  13. Adz
    Started by Adz,

    Hi Guys, So thought I'd add some more to my diary as I can see a lot of people seem to what to know what you do once you've completed training. Hope this helps. So once I'd completed training I was extremely excited but nervous too, no more playing any more, what I do now actually means something. The day after my attestation I was straight on the phone to my senior section officer asking for shifts, he was quoting me 3 weeks before I could come in. Pfft I thought, I wanted to get out with my new uniform and use everything I'd learnt. About 2 minutes after I put the phone down I had a sergeant phoning me asking if I could come in on Friday night and he'll show me round …

    • 0 replies
    • 619 views
  14. Ash89rr
    Started by Ash89rr,

    I was just curious as to how in depth the first aid training is for a special and whether there are many opportunities to take further, more advanced first aid training? many thanks, Ash

    • 10 replies
    • 1.2k views
  15. yellowwedge
    Started by yellowwedge,

    Hello all! I'm rather new here, so please be gentle! D: I was just looking to get a serving officer's opinion on a couple of things. Firstly what do you think is the right age to apply. I mean, I know the recruitment form and information leaflets say that the minimum age is 18, but I'm not naive enough to believe that I would be a very effective officer at that age. I was worrying-over the fact that nobody would take me seriously at age 18/19... My other question was a more practical one. I am (hopefully) going to be off to University sometime late next year, and I will most likely be leaving my city and/or force district. Do you think it is worth applying to my local c…

      • Like
    • 11 replies
    • 812 views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.