Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. just starting out
    Started by just starting out,

    Hi all Passed my day 2 in December and awaiting further instruction ref training and so on, Just have a few questions to ask , as this is only my 2nd posting hope its in the right place. I have noticed all these short words like IPS / soroc and many more, am i expected to know these ?? Can anyone tell me about any other courses that i will have to complete. Also does anyone from my local police station or anywhere else contact me with reference to where i want to go once i have passed all my training. Thanking you inadvance Paul

    • 5 replies
    • 555 views
  2. braveheart_1314
    Started by braveheart_1314,

    I have my SET coming up and I am pretty confused as to what the dress code is? I have emailed the recruitment office but havent received a reply. I know it is much better to be over dressed for the occasion. I also think that it should be smart because this is the very first impression. I was thinking trousers, shirt and possible a jumper so i have a good balance between casual and formal. What did you folks do? Any help would be great.

    • 5 replies
    • 712 views
    braveheart_1314
  3. Ghajery
    Started by Ghajery,

    Can anyone tell me if you can apply to a British and a Scottish Force at the same time!? As the forces operate under different legal jurisdictions, (Scots law and English law) and different regional governments with different application process I just thought that you might be able to? Anyone know for sure?

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 871 views
  4. SZ86
    Started by SZ86,

    Hi Does anyone know if you are a Special in one Force which has a freeze on and recruitment opens up in another for Regulars and you apply. Would that go against or favour you? Thanks

    • 6 replies
    • 725 views
  5. Adz
    Started by Adz,

    Hi Guys, So thought I'd add some more to my diary as I can see a lot of people seem to what to know what you do once you've completed training. Hope this helps. So once I'd completed training I was extremely excited but nervous too, no more playing any more, what I do now actually means something. The day after my attestation I was straight on the phone to my senior section officer asking for shifts, he was quoting me 3 weeks before I could come in. Pfft I thought, I wanted to get out with my new uniform and use everything I'd learnt. About 2 minutes after I put the phone down I had a sergeant phoning me asking if I could come in on Friday night and he'll show me round …

    • 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
  6. Nick S1546620660
    Started by Nick S1546620660 * ,

    Hi all, I've just joined this site - I'm not an officer, although I'd like to be, and to this end, I've just applied to my local force as a Special for the second time. The first time I was rejected at interview stage, and it's been a few years, and I feel a little older and wiser, and decided to have another go. This time around, I was rejected at the paper sift stage, which was pretty gutting. Does anyone know any common reasons for rejection at the sift stage? I have emailed the HR person, but I have a feeling I'm going to be told that they don't give feedback for paper sift rejections. Cheers, Nick S

    • 3 replies
    • 2.1k views
    LeanMeanCrimeBeatinMachine
  7. UK-Bod
    Started by UK-Bod,

    Hi, I've just failed my application which means I'm now on the 6 month wait for my local force. When I was first thinking about joining, I was in two minds about joining Notts or BTP and I went for Notts. As I am in the first month of the 6 months, is it possible for me to apply for BTP or does it cover every force in England and Wales? I'm not looking at rushing an application in, but it can give me time to think whether I want to go for Notts again or try for BTP. Thanks, Ash

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 1.2k views
  8. playuk
    Started by playuk,

    Hi Guys, Running close to training start date now and still no further info so I emailed them and they advised my checks are not complete but as soon as they are they will arrange a home visit with training info and issue a force number. This is not a problem what so ever just wondered if this was a common step in the process as no one else in my force intake I have spoken to appears to have been given a home visit. I understand this is a requirement for a certain level of vetting so seems slightly strange and in a way flattering they want to give me one. My girlfriend thinks it could because I studied and read a recruitment book religiously for months before applying …

      • Like
    • 15 replies
    • 2.7k views
    E29NP1546080952
  9. L3W15
    Started by L3W15,

    Hello everyone, I have recently been accepted into the special constabulary and just had my uniform fitted. On the day i was in two minds whether to get a medium or a small in my black breathable top that goes under the body armour. After getting home i have relized that i will best fit into a small rather than a medium top. Can anyone inform me if they think it is a good idea to contact them by phone before they issue the uniform to me on my first day of training? or let me know if it is actually possible to change it or am i too late? Also if anyone has experienced the same problem then can you let me know how you went around it. Many Thanks

      • Like
    • 4 replies
    • 787 views
  10. Woody
    Started by Woody,

    Ok found this site with a little help. It may not be the olice test but may help with the maths etc. http://www.shl.com/TryATest/TakeaTest/Pages/TakeaTest-English.aspx

    • 2 replies
    • 759 views
    Administrative Account
  11. Venesh1546081209
    Started by Venesh1546081209,

    Just a quicky! If something was found in the vetting process in the early stages ie 1st couple of weeks, would they terminate your app there and send you the results or would it still take 6 to 8 weeks plus?

    • 7 replies
    • 815 views
  12. Nickyc
    Started by Nickyc,

    Hi there, I was just wondering, do forces recruit specials all the time? - i was looking at this website: http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/specials/sc_vacancies.php and it has dates that forces are recruiting specials, i was just wondering if they are recruited all the time or just at certian times? Thanks, Nick

    • 2 replies
    • 725 views
  13. martin.taylor
    Started by martin.taylor,

    Morning, I have handed in my application and am waiting to hear......what is the best book / information to read in preperation for the interview / getting a head start for becoming a SC (hoping I get that far!!!) Cheers Martin

    • 2 replies
    • 674 views
  14. Myles
    Started by Myles,

    I got a letter confriming that my application has been withdrawn due to failing the secuirty checks. This has confused me becasue i have never had any involvement with the police good or bad. I was wondering if any one can point me in the right direction on what to do next. I still am very interested in becoming a special constable.

      • Like
    • 27 replies
    • 8.4k views
  15. Kenz
    Started by Kenz,

    I realise this is probably on a force by force basis, but does anyone know if medical reports and medical records are requested for ALL candidates? The reason I ask... having a family member requesting a medical report from our (NHS) GP in the past, a fee of £125 was charged for the service... I'm wondering if I should brace myself for a large expense in the New Year...

    • 14 replies
    • 1.4k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.