Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. enzoxk
    Started by enzoxk,

    Hi people. i was wondering if you were successful and became a special what are the shift patterns of the Metropolitan Police Thanks.

      • Like
    • 3 replies
    • 2.1k views
  2. zoeh24
    Started by zoeh24,

    Hi all, I Have my interview for the specials on friday. Any advice? I am worried they will ask me a question and i am not going to be able to answer it. Thanks Zoe.

    • 7 replies
    • 742 views
  3. Adz
    Started by Adz,

    I've put together this diary to help all those thinking of joining, hopefully it should help!(This has already been posted in the main forum but I thought since I'm a WYP officer it may help some of you new recruits) My life as a special started when I was at university, at the time I was studying Public Services. A friend who is now also a special was applying and kept telling me to apply as he thought I'd be good for the job. So without giving it any thought I applied, once I'd hit send that was it, I felt a stone sink to my stomach. Around two months later I received an email from a police email address, at first I wondered what I'd done but it turned out to be a rec…

    • 2 replies
    • 2.2k views
  4. casper
    Started by casper,

    Hi everyone,i'm new to this site so please bare with me.I Actually applied for the specials in 2008 and failed the maths section,i decided to start college and take on a maths course . As i could only attend college at night time it was hard at first to fit the course in.I had to decide wether or not to continue as i was quite down about failing.Six months later i gave it another shot,again i failed but talking to the recruitment team i was advised that i had only failed by a few points.This was very hard to take in and once again i felt that i had let myself down as i had put so much work into trying to pass the course.Eventually in 2010 i thought i'd give it another s…

    • 6 replies
    • 805 views
  5. Romeooo
    Started by Romeooo,

    Hey all, Im a new user. Was wondering if anyone else was going to the BTP specials assessment in Feb in Glasgow?? Also any other BTP specials online who can give advice about what to expect on the assessment day etc, Thanks all Justyn

    • 3 replies
    • 891 views
  6. O'connor
    Started by O'connor,

    So, I have a rather big issue which could/most likely will ruin my future and primary choice of becoming a special. It started with school life really, I was a rather quiet child and was always getting bullied at school and lacked friends, I was being bullied on a regular basis and the school didn't do much regarding it so I was pulled out of school and I later on found some friends who was .. as some say, the wrong crowd. Over a space of around, five months, I had found myself arrested for a small amount of things, however they can be deemed as serious, I'll list them below. Theft of a Motor Vehicle (NFA'd) - (I wasn't involved with this at all) There was an incide…

      • Like
    • 9 replies
    • 1.4k views
  7. lizzie_c
    Started by lizzie_c,

    I passed my Specials interview last week and through conversation it transpires that my dad some 40 odd years ago was arrested for what he thinks was drunk and disorderly. How the details escape him is beyond me but he can remember that the incident took place in Derby and that he was fined. I can’t understand why he has never mentioned this before when I was filling out my security forms, especially as I specifically asked whether anyone in my immediate family has ever been in trouble with the police. My question is, will this have a negative impact on me passing the vetting stage? I emailed the lady responsible for Specials recruitment a few days ago explaining the si…

    • 13 replies
    • 1.2k views
  8. RPM
    Started by RPM,

    Hi All, This is a question for anyone in the know! I have recently applied for cadets but before anyone moans this should be on the cadet thread i have posted this here as i had to fill in a Police Staff Vetting Form. Basically am trying to find out how long the vetting process normally takes, By the way i am in Sussex! Ta in advance, -RPM-

    • 3 replies
    • 646 views
  9. Inside-Out Forehand
    Started by Inside-Out Forehand,

    Hello, everybody. I'm Chris, and am hoping to join Strathclyde Police as a Special Constable when they re-open the application process in the spring. I am actually from Northern Ireland, but came to Scotland as a student and want to stay - not just because I like the country but because being a Special could help my chances of getting into the regulars when I have a bit more experience under my belt and when recruitment picks up in the future. In preparation for my application, I've been looking at buying one or two general texts. 'Blackstone's Preparing for Police Duty' and 'Blackstone's Handbook for the Special Constabulary' are well recommended,…

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 825 views
    Inside-Out Forehand
  10. david75
    Started by david75,

    I WAS JUST WANDERING WHILST WORKING AS A SPECIAL WILL YOU BE ABLE TO DO ANY FURTHER TRAINING TO UNABLE YOU TO PERFORM MORE DUTIES LIKE DRIVING UNDER EMERGENCY CONDITIONS OR POLICING A FOOTY GAME IF SO IS IT UP TO YOUR STATION OR SERGEANT TO PUT YOU FORWARD OR IS IT ALL A NO NO FOR SPECIALS REGARDS DAVID75

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 878 views
  11. Jade.TVP
    Started by Jade.TVP,

    Hi all, I have the first half of my specials assessment for Thames Valley Police tomorrow evening, I've done my reading and have a good idea of what to expect in the interview stage with which this forum has been so helpful. The part i'm a little worried about is the bit that comes tomorrow, the group tasks and individual tasks prior to the interview. I know one of the individual tasks is to speak about a topic for two minutes, but other than that i have no clue and its put me a little on edge. Can anyone advise me what kind of tasks they had to do during recruitment and anyone thats recently gone through recruitment for TVP i'd really appreciate a little heads up on …

      • Like
    • 12 replies
    • 1.1k views
  12. easy6826
    Started by easy6826,

    Hi All, With the new national assessment procedure now in place, I was wondering, with regards to the SJT, are the questions all multiple choice and do all the questions have a right and wrong answer, or can there be a variation of correct and incorrect answers? Cheers.

    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
  13. Tbartonâ„¢
    Started by Tbartonâ„¢,

    Hello everyone! I've only just found out that a forum for the Specials exists so i had to sign up considering i've just had this sent to my email a few days ago. ''Greater Manchester Police are pleased to inform you that you have successfully passed the application stage'' I'm obviously very happy indeed but seeing as though the open evening i attended was many many months ago i can't remember what the next stages are! Could someone give some sort of an insight if possible? That would be great! Any other information or tips will be very much welcomed! Thanks in advance, Tbartonâ„¢.

    • 9 replies
    • 851 views
  14. WolfJC
    Started by WolfJC,

    hello I have completed my assessment, fitness test, sent off vetting forms, and references. And now I have received my medical questionnaire. But one part of the questionnaire I am struggling with. It asks for every occasion and on how many days, with a reason for each on which I have been absent over the past 3 years. But I can not remember every occasion (I know I have not been off sick on many occasions) on which I have been sick, the amount of days for each occasion, the dates for each and the reasons for them all. I remember the main ones. I am wondering what other people have done with this part of the medical questionnaire as I personally can't see everyone rememb…

    • 4 replies
    • 573 views
  15. k10jak
    Started by k10jak,

    Hello all I have applied for the position of Special Constable, and have successfully made it through the paper sift on first application. I am experienced in life but not too old either. I have all my eyesight and am currently running 20 miles per week, 30 press-ups a day and dead lift 6 stone - although have a few pounds to loose. I'm a girl! The but! But! I have a tad of a problem. I have recently had an 'abnormal smear'. This is a requested category on the medical questionnaire supplied by the "Police Could You" website. I am able to say no problems to all ailments on the questionnaire, with exception to having whiplash 18 months ago (steroid injection and p…

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.