Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. Stu1980
    Started by Stu1980,

    Hi, I'm currently a volunteer with the Fire Service but considering becoming a Police Special as it's something I have always wanted to do. However, 12 years ago I found a mobile in the street, put it into my bag and forgot about it. Months later I had a random bag search at a part time job I had whilst studying at University. Because I didn't have a receipt they phoned the Police. I admitted finding the phone in the street and not handing it in. I genuinely forgot it was in my bag as it was full of Uni stuff! I recieved a caution for this. Would this prevent me from joining the Specials or the regulars? I would be applying for GMP. Many thanks, Stu

      • Like
    • 20 replies
    • 1.4k views
    Administrative Account
  2. Melamanda66
    Started by Melamanda66,

    Hi All, Im new on here and I was hoping for some advice? I have a PIRT tomorrow at Merseyside HQ. Im extremley nervous and I really dont know what to expect, I was hoping if you could give me a heads up on the actual test, I found a couple of practice tests from other forces but it would be great if i could get some feedback off someone who has actually done the test for Merseyside Police recently? Also im not sure of the pass rate either? any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 2.3k views
  3. aqze28
    Started by aqze28,

    Hi, i'd like to join the Specials but after reading the application form it says that you should disclose if you've had any criminal investigations.... well i have, but not sure if to put it on the form? Over 10 years ago i was arrested for a sexual assault, i was nothing to do with it and pleaded my innocence all the way through, however i was charged, this case was later acquitted by a crown court judge as there wasn't enough evidence (i fitted the description and was in the area that's all), they later arrested someone else but not sure if he was charged/convicted. Now should i put this on my form as i'm thinking it will be instant refusal, or do i leave it blank an…

      • Like
    • 31 replies
    • 2k views
  4. ap.scott
    Started by ap.scott,

    Hi All, It seems everyone on here seems to know things before they actually happen (which is really good!) I'm extremely keen on joining the WYP as a Special Constable but the recruitment page has been update month-by-month to 'We will be recruiting next month' but nothing ever seems to appear. Is anyone aware of any potential vacancies coming up?? Thanks in advance!! Adam

      • Like
    • 3 replies
    • 642 views
  5. bikerchick
    Started by bikerchick,

    I was under the assumption that once the Occupational Health check was done and the drugs test, vetting would follow straight after. I have a document that shows a flowchart that illustrates this...but no. I called HR to find out how the vetting was going and when I would hear whether I had passed/failed. The lady told me that I was on the list for the June intake next year and that my application would be vetted 2 months before this (in April 2012) and informed that I would receive a letter a month before that (March 2012) stating that I was undergoing vetting. She said that if someone fails vetting or decides that they do not wish to join the Specials after all, ev…

      • Like
    • 14 replies
    • 842 views
  6. Scubapin
    Started by Scubapin,

    Hi there, Currently a Special Constable for North Wales and not particularly enjoying it to be honest. Do not feel appreciated when I do go in and sometimes find it hard to balance it with work and social life. Just wanted to know whether leaving the Specials would affect my chances of getting in the Regulars? The only thing keeping me in at the moment is the thought that when they do start recruiting, specials will be given priority over the public. Thoughts? Thanks, Scubapin

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 1.5k views
  7. Art Pepper
    Started by Art Pepper,

    I've passed everything except vetting (which I am expecting to go smoothly) so imagine I would be starting my Specials training soon. What are the best resources, books, websites etc... I could read ahead of time which would help speed up the training and gaining competancies phases? I've got a copy of the PACE 1984 act, which is pretty dry, so any good books that explains that with examples would be great too. Also does anyone know at what stage of training we recieve our TFL tube passes? Cheers!

    • 2 replies
    • 369 views
  8. Mr So Special
    Started by Mr So Special,

    So 1 year and 27 days after attending the seminar for Cheshire Police specials, I was told yesterday that I passed the panel ( I was due to start March 11, but delayed due to inhalers)!!!! Hopefully If the training rota is OK for me I can start on the 26th Nov! After I've sent off another vetting form just to check as it's been a while since the last one! Just goes to show - There is usually light at the end of the tunnel - Just sometimes the tunnel is longer than you hoped for!

      • Like
    • 12 replies
    • 835 views
  9. Cockney_Doris
    Started by Cockney_Doris,

    I went to the preparation for MPS assessment presentation at Hendon today and am a bit confused. Having read a lot about the recruitment process on here, I was surprised to learn that Day 1 Assessment consists of 'only' a 40 minute interview and written tests. Have I missed something? Is there no team work element, no role play?

      • Like
    • 3 replies
    • 521 views
  10. Swuzie
    Started by Swuzie,

    Hi I found out today that I passed my day 1, whoop whoop  I feel like I proper belong here now! Swuzie 

    • 4 replies
    • 507 views
  11. Marinebillie1918
    Started by Marinebillie1918,

    hello there, anyone help with more ways to help me pass the pirt i have bought a book with many practice tests in it from the company How To Become.co.uk, but can anyone else give me any other tips. thanks alot Mike

    • 3 replies
    • 473 views
  12. Cockney_Doris
    Started by Cockney_Doris,

    Anyone else going to the selection process support presentation at Hendon this Wednesday (19th)? Fancy a meet up?

    • 2 replies
    • 559 views
  13. Sarah_Louise
    Started by Sarah_Louise,

    I'm not after specific examples of questions people have been asked (as I totally understand this would be unfair and indeed irrelevant to specific examples of what I have to recall) but I've done a lot of reading around this website and others regarding the format of the structured competency based interview and one thing keeps coming up - people repeatedly suggesting having at least 3 examples (sometimes 5 examples) for each of the competencies I've been told to prepare for. So my question is this - why? I can't get my head around how or why I could possibly need so many examples of each competency area.... my information email (applied to Northumbria) informs me the …

      • Like
    • 14 replies
    • 4.3k views
  14. Mr So Special
    Started by Mr So Special,

    Hello party poopers! Thought I'd jump on to ask people about the physical levels needed in training for the Specials. Just as I'm hitting 35 next month, I've found that 11 years after leaving the army, I obviously can't run as fast as I could! I used to be able to do 6 minute miles, but now it's pretty much 8 minutes. I managed level 8 on the shuttle run OK, but would have started to fail at about level 9 or 10 on the tests. ALso finding it harder to reduce the time of my runs as I turn "older"! Is there much running (outside of gym)? I usually run around 4 or 5 miles, twice a week. I can run up to 9 or 10, but need to "Tab" that a bit (run and speed walk). Any force …

    • 11 replies
    • 874 views
  15. type r
    Started by type r,

    I had this done a couple of years ago and it meant apparently 'strength' however at my local chinese take away the lady tells me it means youth/young - which to me neither are offensive, but would you say its prominent and more importantly a bar from me joining - if it is i don't mind paying for it to be removed, but don't want to go through the pain if i don't have to? Cheers.....

      • Like
    • 11 replies
    • 1k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.