Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. autopilot
    Started by autopilot +,

    Hi there. I have my Specials PIRT this weekend. But what should i wear? My suit is damaged and would have to hire/buy a new one. Do most people go suited and booted? Or is smart casual (trousers, smart shirt) OK? I'm thinking suit, but im pretty skint right now. Is it worth the investment? Thanks.

  2. Creep
    Started by Creep,

    So as my sig says i had my assessment with NYP on the 12th and on the day they said we should get a phonecall / letter within 7-10 days. Well 10 days later ive not heard a peep and i didnt want to phone HR as the organiser said not to etc, im really starting to doubt everything i did on the day and keep replaying it over and over and thinking the worst. I know its only a short time but im starting to feel like its the end of the road and words cannot describe how badly i want to join the police. I understand that usually the application takes months to process and you learn to be patient (and im a very patient person), but when it comes to something like this id just ra…

    • 7 replies
    • 892 views
  3. JustBob
    Started by JustBob,

    I am hoping to apply for the specials very soon but I need to know if my allergy to animal hair would cause me a problem when applying? It's only a mild allergy (itchy eyes, some light wheezing and sniffling). I can be around animals but any actual contact brings on said effects. I am sure I would be able to work with dog handlers but I would never be able to do the dog handler training myself or come into contact with police dogs. Do you think this is something that could go against me? Or is this an optional bit of training that I don't need to worry about? :D

    • 6 replies
    • 500 views
  4. Steffy
    Started by Steffy,

    I have my day 1 tomorrow and the question of why I want to do it is the hardest to verbally communicate! I know the obviously wrong reasons would be for authority, power etc but keeping the public safe and community involvement seem to be the only right ones. I hate mentioning it, but I'm on my second year at uni for Criminology so this is why I initially looked to the police force. I have never had any contact with the police and it wasn't something I'd actively think about until studying the CJS, alot of posts on here describe a motivation to join since childhood which I can't say I've had. My course surprisingly does not address policing much, just one lecture in th…

      • Like
    • 5 replies
    • 760 views
  5. Reiman
    Started by Reiman,

    Hello all, I have my interview/test tomorrow for the MET and feeling both scared and excited. First off, how early should you arrive? My interview is at 9am and have a choice of arriving in the area for 8.17am or 8.37am (seeing as I've never been to Colindale tube station before I thought best be early, especially as I'm traveling all the way from Dartford. Also, should I cover tattoos for the interview? I ask this because I have a chest piece, so lady blouses that don't button up to the top will expose a degree of it. I thought if I was too covered it could look like I'm hiding something... that could just be me though! I only have 1 personal reference, I don't know…

    • 1 reply
    • 526 views
  6. SpecialBacon
    Started by SpecialBacon,

    Hi all, I was applying for Avon and Somerset Police a few months ago and then they closed the process , anyone know when its re-opening? it says around 2012? Next thing is who's a special in Avon and Somerset? What's the process like? Plus I went on a Ride Along the other night and that was really Informative. Regards Ash

    • 5 replies
    • 832 views
  7. Tanners
    Started by Tanners,

    Evening folks,my name's Tanya I'm 24 and have in front if me my specials application :s I've had it for a few days and I keep looking over it in an attempt to get my brain to subconsciously find the best answers. The ones I'm a little unsure of are the sections on effective communication scenarios and race and diversity. If anyone has any helpful suggestions on what are good scenarios to use then i'd be very grateful as i'm finding it hard to agree on what I want to put, and want they want to see? Many thanks

    • 4 replies
    • 613 views
  8. Johannesburg
    Started by Johannesburg,

    My application has now been under consideration since the start of the year (the first advertised recruitment closure).. Any idea when they'll get round to saying yes or no?

      • Like
    • 9 replies
    • 892 views
  9. blossomboots
    Started by blossomboots,

    Hi, Ive passed the assessment, fitness and interview Phew! I have just got the medical in a couple of weeks but Im not sure what is involved, if anyone out there can help that would be great. Thanks in advance. If Ive put this in the wrong place please ignore it and I will eventually figure it out...

    • 7 replies
    • 779 views
  10. wannabe cop
    Started by wannabe cop,

    Hi all, I have my Interview, Verbal Reasoning and Written test on Sathurday for the Herts Specials. Can someone give an idea on the type of questions they will ask so that I can prepare as fully as I can. I think I have the Rave and Diversity, Resilience, Team Working ones down OK, but the Community focus ones is difficult. But ideas on the others would be good too...... Thanks Nahim

      • Like
    • 24 replies
    • 1.4k views
  11. Andy1970
    Started by Andy1970,

    I've got my Day one coming up soon, and I'm trying to get examples together for the various competencies. I'm very worried about the Community and Customer Focus competency, as this seems to be one on which people have had problems in the past. I'm looking at the list of positive indicators. Eight of the twelve are customer focussed, two seem more relevant to respect for diversity, and only "Supports strategies that aim to build an organisation that reflects the community it serves" seems to have anything directly to do with the community. I've got one good example prepared which is purely customer based, from work, which hits most of the requirements, but I need two. I…

    • 4 replies
    • 1.7k views
  12. Pickles11
    Started by Pickles11,

    Hi, Im new here. I recently applied as a special with Merseyside Police and I have my PIRT coming up. Ive read a lot about it already but I am feeling very nervous about it, mainly the maths as that is by far my weakest subject, I am so bad with numbers! So can anyone give me any information what to expect? What is the dress code? And do I find out on the day if I have passed/failed? I also had my eyes tested recently as I was worried that if I am successful with the PIRT and interview then I might fail the eye sight requirements. My eyesight is 6/30 uncorrected and better than 6/6 when corrected. He said I would meet the requirements? Any info/advice welcome! Thank…

    • 3 replies
    • 620 views
  13. steven171090
    Started by steven171090,

    I have my day one for Herts tomorrow so I am required to be at Stevenage at Six Hills Court. I have been given places that I can park but I thought id ask on here for some ideas, I'm sure there is an easier place to park apart from where they have listed. Any ideas? Thanks

      • Like
    • 2 replies
    • 551 views
  14. steven171090
    Started by steven171090,

    If you are a special within Herts Constabulary, can you transfer into the met as a special?

      • Like
    • 7 replies
    • 764 views
  15. Matthew1990@
    Started by Matthew1990@,

    I am looking to apply to the specials but due to my job (work in management in a shop that sells alcohol) i have to hold a Personal Licence. Is this likely to have a massive effect? From what i gather it will be at the discretion of the Chief Officer of the force having had a look at some threads on here. However i am curious if there are any specials out there that hold Personal Licences and did it affect the process in any way? or anyone that was turned down because of it! Thanks.

    • 3 replies
    • 942 views
    Nelson1545926257

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.