Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specials

 
 
This forum should only be used for questions that are regarding recruitment to the Special Constabulary that are not specific to a local force. If your question is specific to the recruitment process in a particular force then please visit the correct force area located HERE
  1. jules2000
    Started by jules2000,

    Hi Id like some advice please as im not sure if this is possible .. I have applied to Derbyshire and got through to assessment and Fitness test (Jan 2012) .. i currently live in South Yorkshire and work for the force as a civilian, i was advised as SYP were holding back at the moment with recruitment due to vast number already in their sytem to apply to a neighbouring Force (which i have done).. today i got a letter inviting me to SYP presentation evening and how to apply..... HELP!! I really want to get into SYP as it would make more sense ie less travelling ..... has anyone had this issue before if so did you transfer and what did it entail.. i dont really want to go …

      • Like
    • 5 replies
    • 564 views
  2. Amz-0
    Started by Amz-0,

    Hola People I am going to apply to become specail but i was wondering how long will it take from sending off my form to becoming one i have clean record and so do all my family oh and i am looking at joining SYP Thanks

    • 7 replies
    • 699 views
  3. Jambel
    Started by Jambel,

    Hi there, I'm just wondering when I should be expecting a response from South-Yorkshire police about my 'Application of Interest' after 2 weeks now I've still not recieved an E-mail confirmation about them having the e-mail or a letter through the door. Don't be shy to tell me to shut up and stop being impatient -Jay

    • 7 replies
    • 988 views
  4. Melamanda66
    Started by Melamanda66,

    HiAll, Just a little concerned about the fitness test i have in 1 weeks’ time.. I’mnot the fittest but i have been going to the gym to try and prepare for thetest, I’m worried as I’m a small female and I’m really worried about thedynamic strength part.. I was wondering if any females that had passed recentlycan shed some light? is it true that you get up to 3 attempts to pass? I’mnot worrying about the bleep test too much as 3mins and 29 secs of running isn’tthat long and you start more at a fast pace? Anyonegot any advice? Thanks Mel

    • 14 replies
    • 1.7k views
  5. SC_CD
    Started by SC_CD,

    Hi everyone, I have my Day 2 on Monday at Hendon and am panicking a bit about my bleep test. I have no problem running long distance or cycling 15 miles but this building speed and turning tightly on the spot is fairly taking it out of me!! I know i have to reach level 5.4 and it's a 15 metre bleep test i will be doing but the question is how many shuttle runs are there per level? Has anyone done the Day 2 bleep test at Hendon that can tell me? I have downloaded THREE apps now on my iphone and all of them have a different number of shuttle runs - i've been practising on the one with the most (thinking if i can do that, i should be fine) but for for peace of mind would …

    • 17 replies
    • 7.4k views
  6. steven171090
    Started by steven171090,

    Ahh, finally has come around! I have my interview for Herts this Saturday! I have mixed emotions at the moment, I have been revising the core competencies and drilling everything into my head so I'm hoping for the best!! Wish me luck!

    • 1 reply
    • 519 views
  7. Rhyme&Reason
    Started by Rhyme&Reason,

    Hi everyone. I've just passed the various stages of selection and am about to start training at the end of this month. I have a quick question about boots for those already serving. Is there any particular boot you'd recommend, and, if so, would you get it in your standard size or a size bigger? As a keen runner, I always buy my running shoes a half-size bigger than I need to allow for the fact that my feet swell during long distance runs. Does the same apply for a long foot patrol and do you need to allow for thick warm socks in the winter or is this factored into the size by the manufacturer (many seem to offer special socks to go with their boots anyway it seems)…

      • Like
    • 11 replies
    • 850 views
    Administrative Account
  8. mc1989
    Started by mc1989,

    Hi I have got my interview for Northamptonshire Specials next week - can anynone give me an overview of what to expect? Thanks!! MC

    • 1 reply
    • 450 views
  9. CJS1985TWINNY
    Started by CJS1985TWINNY,

    Hi All, I'm new to the forum so please be nice haha. I’m interested in joining the Police force as a Special Constable. Obviously I understand that you have to do basic training before becoming a Special, but I would really appreciate it if any serving or past serving Specials/Regs could answer the following for me please? • What specific tasks would I perform as Special Constable? • What challenges and opportunities are associated with the Police specials? • Once basic training is complete, do the Specials have formal training programs, or do graduating recruits receive on-the-job training? • How do the Specials measure performance? How often are perf…

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 1.1k views
  10. David C
    Started by David C,

    I am considering trying to join as a police special and I have a slight problem, which I would imagine isn't uncommon. I have worked in an office in front of a PC for about 20 years, since leaving school and hence my uncorrected eye sight has degraded. I am able to have lazer surgery to correct this, but at a cost of approximately £2,000. I do not have a issue with doing this, however my understanding is that this needs to be done before other parts of my application will be reviewed and considered. This may sound sensible on the face of things but to me it means parting with money (in today's enviroment there isn't much spare savings) which I could use elsewhere and sti…

    • 8 replies
    • 1k views
    Administrative Account
  11. bobbiepeel
    Started by bobbiepeel,

    Hello All, I have recently had LASIK eye surgery. I have searched through topics on here but have to find one that matches my particular question. If/When I start training it will be next year and the 6 weeks would have well passed that is recommended to wait however I was wondering if any of you guys have noticed a longer reaction to the CS with those with LASIK. Also during the PPE weekend training (Baton training) etc. I have seen a few people mention they have come away with black eyes and so forth (with the red man). I would hate the flap in my eye to become dislodged so Im basically asking has one had it done and had any problems. (i am well up for the training, …

    • 7 replies
    • 765 views
  12. Pantera1989
    Started by Pantera1989,

    Hi, I had my assessment centre yesterday. I think the written test, situational judgement test went fine. The interview however, I'm unsure! I answered all the questions ok, but I got asked a few probing questions and I started to repeat myself! I'm just going to wait for my results. I tried my best, if it's not good enough I will re apply in 6 months! Has anyone else experienced the interview? Chees, Dean.

    • 10 replies
    • 879 views
  13. bobby3
    Started by bobby3,

    Hello, just joined this forum today. Looking to join the Specials as soon as West Yorks are recruiting again (anyone know when that might be…?) I’m seriously thinking of joining the regulars if I like the specials, but bearing in mind I’ve been told it’s likely there will be no recruiting for regulars until at least 2013 – does anyone think joining up at 36 is leaving it a bit late? Looking at the pay scales I'd be worse off for about 4 years but I can live with that, I'm more wondering if being older at the bottom holds you back from promotion?

      • Like
    • 26 replies
    • 1.8k views
  14. JustBob
    Started by JustBob,

    Hi, The questions I have are regarding the commited hours of work for a Special. I know that you have to work a min of 4 hours a week but what I need to know is, if I was to sign up to become an SC, would there be a minimum amount of time (i.e. weeks/months) that I will be commited stay with the force? Will there be a contract? What I am getting at is if someone was to decide, after a number of shifts, that it wasn't for them and decide to leave, would this be a problem? Or are you obligated to complete a certain amount of shifts/time? And secondly, can you pick and choose what hours you work? E.g. Could you just work mornings or evenings by choice? Thanks for your …

      • Like
    • 10 replies
    • 805 views
  15. thenecroscope
    Started by thenecroscope,

    Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been contemplating joining the specials for sometime now. I'm some what nervous about signing up. One of the questions that I can't seem to find is the length of service and how much notice you need to give if you would like to leave? Can anyone help? thank you

    • 5 replies
    • 698 views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.