Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
I recently saw the following story on the Policeuk humour section. Despite making me laugh it also made me think about the action I would take. If you were the officer what would your action be? Apologies if this has been previously discussed! Source - http://www.policeuk.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28-police-humour/
-
You are single crewed on routine patrol, in a non-VASCAR equipped vehicle when you spot a red motorcycle carrying a pillion passenger go past rather fast in a 30mph limit. You also notice that the pillion passenger is a wearing a child's bicycle helmet. You follow the motorcycle and carry out a compliant blue light stop with no complications. On further assessment, you find out that: 1) The pillion passenger is a 9 year old male wearing a child's bicycle helmet but has forgotten to correctly connect the chin strap. 2) The rider is insured third party only on the motorcycle but has not paid for 'pillion passenger cover' which is not included as standard by the insurer …
-
Hi all. I have just witnessed my neighbour stagger down the road and literally walk into a wooden fence he was that intoxicated. He then attempted to open his front door which took a fair few mins I must say, I was chuckling to myself until 10 mins later when I was laying in bed I heard his voice and then a car door slam and the car started. I looked out and saw him driving away after stalling it a number of times he mounted the kerb and nearly took a few cars out. My first though was to run down and take his keys but I don't know if MOPs have this right. I'm currently training to be a special constable but don't attest until December. What would the best course of ac…
-
A decent cutting tool (to be fair possibly more in the countryside than in the city) can be really useful at times. I wondered what the stance is on carrying a UK legal folding pocketknife with the rest of your kit? Something that would just sit in a pouch on your utility belt.
-
You are on foot in town centre. You get information over the radio about a male who was possibly involved in a fight, and a description of this male is passed over the airwave. You shout up, saying you are on foot in town and that you will start searching. After 10 minutes, you see a male matching the description so you tell the control room. CCTV jumps in and says that the male has on him a kitchen knife. several members of public come up to you warning you that he has a knife on him and has been waving it about. You are stood roughly 30 meters away from him and he is unaware that he is being watched or that you are there. Control room confirms that the male ha…
-
Just wondering what you'd do in this situation.. Two teenagers in a car just driving around slowly and practicing parking maneuvers late at night when there is hardly any other cars and doing it in a deserted bit of the car park. One has full licence and is sitting in passenger seat and the driver has a provisional. They say they are just practicing for their driving test.. On one hand its illegal but on the other hand they aren't doing any harm other then the potential harm to property..
-
You are called to a noise complaint at a house. As you approach the house you can hear there is obviously a party going on with loud music. You knock the door and a teenager opens the door, who says it is his house. You ask if you can step in to talk about the music, he agrees and you ask him to turn it down etc. As you do this you realise there is a really thick scent of cannabis in the air and the guy who opens the door is looking pretty nervous. You can't tell where the smell is coming from exactly and there are another 6 or so people in the living room. What do you do?
-
In regards to being off duty where do you stand on having words with a driver. Today while out driving with my family including my 6 day old son I was stuck behind a driver chatting away on his mobile phone who almost caused me to go into the back of him by braking suddenly for no apparant reason and then further up the road almost sideswiping us by trying to come into our lane because he simply hadnt seen us. Now can you declare yourself as a police officer and have a friendly word perhaps when stopped next to them at a set of lights or do you simply do nothing and go on your way??
-
Hi, I'm curious about how to increase the success rate of arrest inquiries. I'm wondering to what extent police officers are allowed to wear the clothing of other organisations who might call on a house. Ie. DHL, Royal Mail, British Gas, etc. I'd like to know if this is: -Operationally approved -If you think this will improve the chances of success (ie someone answering the door) -Any anecdotal evidence that this works If this breaches any forum rules then please delete. Best, Vic Also if you havé any stories you dont feel comfortable sharing in public, please do PM me.
-
I was asked this the other evening, and I told the guy who asked me I have no Idea as I haven't started training yet... (you mention to one guy you applied for the specials, suddenly everybody you know thinks you are making a career change and joining the police... What?) As a young lad (19), I with my friends often head out on a Friday/Saturday for some drinks in town. Normally this results in merryment and then a stumble/taxi home without incident. However, recently we had an incident where while waiting for the person who was going to give us a lift, another lad approached us with his friend. he began talking to one of my friends who recently fell off a fence and as …
-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2368415/Coroner-condemns-paramedics-refused-save-drowning-man-ditch-health-safety-reasons.html A coroner has condemned paramedics who refused to jump into a drainage ditch to treat a dying man because they would not break health and safety rules. Young farmer Michael Thornton had been knocked unconscious when a Land Rover he was in crashed and overturned in the water. But when paramedics arrived they made a snap 'risk assessment' and refused to get into the 10ft-wide canal. Critical: West Somerset Coroner Michael Rose (left) blasted paramedics for not saving drowning man Michael Thornton, 30, (right) because of health and…
-
You are on foot patrol in a suburban area one evening with your partner engaged in plain clothes obs for drug dealing,you have your Labrador with you as cover and haven't a care in the world,Mrs Miggins comes out her garden and stops you and says that her Fred is gambling and losing up to a hundred pounds a week in the Horseshoe Hotel, this has been going on for two years and she doesn't know what to do.She tells you that she has tried reasoning with him about it but it always ends up in her being beaten.Your partner tells you that her dad used to bet on horses when she was young and they never seemed to have any money for ice creams and resolves to do something about i…
-
-
I've been on a tube before where it's held at a station due to a piece of unattended baggage left on the carriage I was in. As a police officer (off-duty), would you have any responsibility to step in and investigate the baggage or would you simply report it and wait until on-duty officers turned up? In the situation I was in, another passenger reported it to the driver who I presume contacted BTP who arrived shortly after, removed the bag and the train then moved on. What would you do if off-duty? I don't know the procedure around moving/touching unattended baggage but thought I'd ask. Would you remove the bag to allow the train to move on or would you leave it alone u…
-
Hello I am Looking for some clarification on robbery and fear for another. Scenario A.Harry and Sam are walking down the street together when a man point a gun at Harry's face and says to Sam. ill blow Harry's face off unless you give me you wallet, and out of fear for Harry safety Sam gives the man his wallet. Answer A. I think you cannot fear for another so i assume this is not robbery. (I am unsure) Scenario B if then the man shot harry just in the leg to scare Sam Answer B would this then become robbery? Scenario C if harry was unaware of the threat on his life for some reason Answer C would not be robbery because harry is not afraid and Sams concern does n…