Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
I was watching Brit Cops UK on Virgin 1 today and there was a drunk passenger on a train who the driver wanted kicked off. The cops removed him and took the driver's details as the driver wanted to go to court. Would the train company go to court instead of the individual drivers?
-
A male is in his car and invites a teenage girl (that he does not know) into his car...he indicates no specific intention but offers some kind of reward if the girl complies. Wisely, she doesn't get in the car and calls the police. Has he committed any offences? This came out today on the radio and I had an interesting discussion about it with a colleague whilst on an especially boring hospital guard. I though the ubiquitous s.5 could come into play, alternatively it could come under cauding a public nuisance, or, I think, you could arrest on suspicion of "arranging the commission of a child sex offence" - but I doubt that is what the offence is meant for and I doubt yo…
-
This is a real scenario I had the other day. Nothing complex: a bloke chucks a bottle out of the window of a large hostel which almost hits a lady below. She is quite shocked by the matter and wants to take it further. Now, for all practical purposes, there was nothing that could be done. The window was identified, we went upstairs and gave strong words of advice to the gent inside who denied all knowledge, etc etc. I put an intel report on. A colleague of mine said to me, "Shouldn't that be a crime report for an attempted assault?" Now if you put me in the same situation 10 times, I'd probably act in the same way each time - there's no way I'm going to put on a crime …
-
I am due to complete my training at the begining of October which is the time of year that a lot of youths around here like to mess around throwing eggs and anything else they can find at passing cars and buses. Just wondering if you are on patrol and witness some youths doing this what offence if any would be committed? Or would it just be a verbal warning? Cheers, Dave.
-
Hi There, Got a question from my manager at work at the weekend and I was wondering if someone could help with the answer. I work on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow, which is a busy shopping street in the city centre. Its for pederstrians only but there is a large habit of bands (like guitars but some like drum things) and also a lot of preachers of faith and occasionally demonstrators. He was wondering if he can get these people to move away from the store as its annoying but it also drives customers away from the entrance to the shop - on occasion the doors have been blocked by people. As a special I think I would feel uncomfortable going out in my work uniform to ask fo…
-
A friend of yours comes to you as they know you are a special and tell you their teenage daughter is being cyber bullied and has been threatend online by a teenage boy. The girl is very distraught and upset as she believes the threats made to her and the school has been informed and they say they will speak to the individuals involved. What if any offences can be considered and is it wise for the special to get involved in anyway as they come from a different force area. p.s this has just occured for real with me and before anyone says i told them to report it as i couldnt get involved.
-
You're in slow moving traffic driving. Coming in the opposite direction also in slow moving traffic you see the driver repeatedly looking down and looking up at the road. Every now and again having to adjust his steering for around 20 metres. So for around 10 seconds you see this. Now one can safely assume he was texting or looking at his phone. Couple of options: Would you let this one go as its not much you can do as you cant see the phone at that angle. Turn round and speak to the driver. Although you havent see the phone you know that its 99% probable he was. Even if it wasnt a mobile phone he should have had his eyes on the road. Tell him you saw him if he confi…
-
On the way home from the supermarket I saw a large number of the public stood at the road side looking at a RTA. There was an elderly women laying in the road, as I got close I was able to see that there where member's of the public helping her by offering comfort and calling on the emergency services to attend. Since the accident had taken place the road had only enough room for one way traffic. Since this was the case there was a middle-aged man who was directing the traffic to keep a regular flow. From my observation the man was making a mess of it and making the situation more complicated than it needed to be. At this point in time I was wondering if I should park up…
-
If you were driving round on patrol and saw this. http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31993
-
A man walks down the street asking every woman he passes if they will give him oral sex. No more to it than that - he asks very politely and doesn't hassle them any more, no matter what the outcome (reactions range from "No" to walking off in dusgust to the odd slap in the face). Any offences? (I need to know the legal implications of my Friday night leisure...)
-
Hi Guys, I was driving home from a night away down the m25 last night. The car in front of me was approximately 400-500 metres ahead. I could see that traffic was backing up, but the driver in front made no attempt to slow down and got nearer and nearer to the car in front of him. Very late (about 40-50 metres behind the car in front) the driver slams his brakes on and moves in to the fast lane in an attempt to avoid hitting the driver in front. No accident occurred but the skidding coulld be heard and the driver did briefly lose control. I did clock the reg mark, is it worth reporting? What offences, if any, have been commited. Regards, Joe
-
Ok guys, please bear with me on this one, because im not all clued up on law (yet!), and still learning as i go. But, i walked past two kids a few weeks back, they must have been around 12-13 years old. As i walked past, they asked me if i had a lighter and they were holding a pack of cigaretts. Of course i replied to them 'No', and that i 'Didnt smoke'. But surely kids of that age are not legally allowed to have cigaretts, as the legal age to buy them is 18 now - so i assume that the legal age to posses them must be similar to that ? So as police constables, even if you were off duty, would you in that possition have simply walked past and ingored the situation, or wo…
-
Out on patrol, do a general stop on a vehicle. On asking the driver "do you have your driving licence", he pulls out a full automatic driving licence - however, he is driving a car with a manual transmission. What, if anything, would happen? Thanks in advance.
-
Hi all, Just a question that I've been thinking over lately, I'm still going through recruitment so I'm not sure of the answer. I know that once attested, an officer has a legal obligation to act whenever necessary (subject to risk assessment etc.) whether on duty or off duty. However, how would this work for a relatively new officer who has not yet been granted independant patrol? Would they be allowed to deal with a situation off duty, on their own, should the need arise? I know the common sense answer would be to hold back, make a call and let the duty guys deal, but I'm asking from a purely theoretcial perspective. Clearly, the difference would be off duty you…
-
A male aged 18 and a female aged 17 are legally married. They decide to spice up their love-life by recording on a camcorder their sex sessions. Have any offences been committed, if yes, what and by who?