England & Wales
4557 topics in this forum
-
My mate bought something up last night which made me think.. What are the laws on breathalising 17 year olds that are driving? He seemed to think police couldn't as they are under the big 1-8.. Can anyone shed any light?
-
Hi All, I am up for election for the local elections on 5th May. I have a Fiat Punto Grande 3 door, with A3 Vote Jake ------- Posters, however, it is too big for the back passanger seat windows, is there any law stopping me from sticking it to the corner of the back window or anything? Jake.
-
Hi All Looking for advice on dealing with the following.... There was an incident involving a number of youths (no injures just handbags at 10 feet stuff). One of the known local problem youths is blaming a particular youth for causing the original incident and keeps 'asking' around as to where he is including threatening language and 'I know where you live' talk. I know I could issue a harassment warning letter, witnesses seem unwilling to come forward at present for fear of reprisals. Any advice on how you to proceed would be great.
-
- 23 replies
- 3.9k views
- 1 follower
-
-
During a discussion sparked by the News of the World alegations, someone asked when arrest records stopped being public domain. Apparently back in the day, journalists would often frequent the local police station to find out who had been arrested. Was that ever the case, and can the public see records of arrests made or has all that gone under the DPA?? Thanks Scooby
-
Are counter-protests legal and are they permitted in advance? I see lots of examples of protests being held, and then an opposition group turning up to protest against THEM (which inevitably turns violent). I was just wondering if these are impromptu demonstrations that the police are powerless to prevent, or do the authorities actually let them happen in the first place? Because if it is the latter I think this should change. I hate seeing town and city centres being off limits at the weekend because certain groups with their own agendas want to have a scrap. Any thoughts?
-
I've seen traffic marshals around large building sites. Do they have any powers?
-
Now i know the police have powers under sec1 of pace, misuse of drugs etc to detain people. But what about traffic stops? Someone is stopped for a motoring offence and wants to leave. They are not being arrested under section 24, they are just refusing to either stay, or decide they want to leave after a short period of time. Whats the section/power this gives police the power to detain people until they have been dealt with/identity, address ascertained etc? Is it still someting under 24 (suspect disappearing) even if they are not under arrest? I know there's the 'if they try to leave i'll arrest them' mentality, but what powers do we have to detain them whilst you go…
-
You are in the middle of a chase and you crash , no one hurt but the person getting away, you HAVE to catch them for a reason or another, for this just say that you wont have backup with you or anything, could a officer be aloud to take a civilians car to use in the chase? Is their any law about detaining or "quarantining" someone's car to use? As it is not theft? as you are not permanently depriving or doing it dishonestly is their legislation saying a constable is aloud? thanks edit- you dont take a parked car, you ask or take or whatever someone's car who is on the road. ( road user not parked remember )
-
We can't do them: That seems absolutely crystal clear. But I can think of one specific example when I might wish to search someone with their consent, or implied consent, which would be perfectly reasonable - but what allows us to do it? Often I get called to a person collapsed in the street, or a drunk, or a wandering elderly person suffering from dementia or someone suffering a mental illness. Often these people don't know who they are, where they are from or what is wrong with them. Sometimes to ascertain who they are etc. it is necessary to see if they have any documentation on them.....to do this it is necessary to go through bags or pockets to try and find items…
-
Hi there, After over hearing a customer at my checkout today in work about skipping a red light at temporary roadworks, I was wondering whether it was illegal? I've done a quick google and have discovered a thing that keeps popping up is that in 1994 temporary traffic lights were given equal validity to permanent traffic lights. Is this still the case? Secondly, if the 2 temporary traffic lights were in very close proximity, with drivers having a clear view of the road ahead, with no junctions, and someone skipped them (when nothing was coming the other way), would you stick them on for it? Probably a silly question but would you use your 'discretion' or is there no suc…
-
A gentle reminder to Norfolk Constabulary - specifically the Chief Constable! The requirements of the Freedom of Information Act are that an answer must be given to the enquirer within 20 days - not the 50 days quoted by the aforesaid Chief Constable!!
-
IDCOPPLAN COPPLANED Do your force trainers teach any different than above?
-
Just checking.. Driving without insurance still applies to drivers who are being towed where they have to steer and break i.e. when they are being towed via rope or single tow bar? Many thanks in advance.
-
I was asked to attend a local police station and was interviewed by two officers. The interview consisted of an extremely weak dissection of a very precisely composed letter I had written to a local sports organisation defending myself against a minor accusation of misbehaviour, implicating their own employee. I asked the constable the name of his superior officer. He moved uncomfortably in his seat and said that his superior had no knowledge of this interview and that he was acting on behalf of the aforementioned organisation to give me a warning. Essentially he wanted me to stop defending myself. He behaved in a consistently intimidating and mildly abusive manner. When…
-
Not sure if this is the right place to post this topic. Well the question is, what is the law on the obstruction of a rear view window of a car meaning that it is not possible to see out of the rear window because some objects are blocking it. Thanks Oliver