England & Wales
4557 topics in this forum
-
Leaving aside the Freeman aspect to this video: In this video, why did the officers issue the ticket, knowing that he was going to contest it? Is it not the done thing to issue him a summons straight away in this situation? Also, what power did they use to take a picture of him on the street? I'm sure there is one, I just don't know it. And for what purpose did they take the picture?
-
In Feb 2004, I pleaded guilty of a common assault in Worksop and Retford Magistrates Court, Nottinghamshire, UK. The disposal was: Community Rehabilitation Order 12 months and £55 fine. I probably did, but now I don't have any document from the court. I need the court judgement made against me, which must clearly show the charge, the section of law under which I was charged, the verdict and the sentence. I phoned the court, the police, the solicitors, and the CAB but I still didn't get this document. These documents are maybe distroyed because it has been a long time. But I need them desperatly. What can I do? I'm not in the UK anymore. Thanks for your help.
-
Understanding that this is not a legal help fourm of any sort but need to know what can be done... just a moment ago my mum came back in tears after her dog was attacked by another dog which wasn't on a lead while traveling through a park... my mums dog isn't badly injured but will require stitches etc... now from a policing point of view, what if anything can be done?? again i know the forum disclaimer and will not quote anything said on here if taken further at a later date. Regards Steve
-
Can I just clarify, driving whilst using a mobile phone, you commit the offence if you are, talking, texting, looking at the phone, checking the time or reading the display etc. I have had a scenario were someone is disputing using thier mobile phone as they stated they were holding it and checking it as they thought they heard it, but could have been the radio.... Emmm. Has he committed the offence or not... He was reported for summons.
-
I work out of a police station that does not have a custody suite. I have, on occassion, had cause to arrest someone who is actually on the premises (no! not a colleague!). 99% of people I nick get their pockets etc searched....the power that allows me to do this is s.32 of PACE 1984. However, it only applies to people arrested at places other than a police station: If it was just a case of walking through to custody then good ol' s.54 would kick in. However, when I have to stick my detainee in a car or van and have them driven over to another nick then it is a little bit barmy that I can't search them (at least under s.32). is this a case of a 1984 law being out of da…
-
Hi, I am hoping a Scottish Officer [knows Scots Law] can point me to the law where it says we have any rights to protest/object the removal of a member of the family due to unhappiness with their spouse or in other cases your son, daughter, Granny etc.? My sister in law who is from Asia has called the police and explained her story of her unhappiness since she came to the UK with her husband who has difficulties in communication, but well enough to understand and consent to a marriage. Basically, the police have come a total 3 times to the home first time to take her away for questioning which they said would bring her back. 2nd time they came told us bluntly that she…
-
- 9 replies
- 1.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Does anyone know is there is a list of useful laws floating around on PS.com? Like Sec 22a RTA: "Section 22A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 creates the offence of intentionally taking some action (e.g. putting an obstruction in the road, tampering with traffic lights, deflating tyres) which causes the potential for danger to someone on or near a road." Which would be great to tell drunken people and students who use or take traffic cones. Or if not, can anyone name a few useful ones? Thanks
-
Whats the law for us. I ride with a totally blacked visor. Im told its Illegal. Im told its totally legal. Im told 70% tint is fine, and then 30& then 50%. Then if it says 'For Day Time Use Only' Its legal... This is the lid/visor in question - As you can see, its completely blacked out. Am i riding illegally? Ive asked some Police ive seen, none of which seem to know the definitive law on Visors or Filtering. So if anyone can tell me, please do. Andy
-
Hi folks, On the recent Channel 4 documentary "Coppers", episode 3 covered the Notification To Leave document that can be issued... my question (as an MOP) is this. Hypothetical MOP gets issued one of these - but they live *within* the area bounded by it - and their nearest general store is within the area... and their nearest cash machine, nearest bus stop.. taxi rank... Are they effectively under house arrest for the duration of the order? And what happens if, during the following day - they ran out of milk for coffee? How long do the orders generally last for? For the record - I generally stay away from pubs/clubs.. an effectively teetotal.. but the question did…
-
An off duty police officer is in his local pub at a school reunion. He has been there for quite some time (it is 12.30am) and drunk several pints of beer when an argument breaks out between two other punters. One of the punters head butts the other after which the other one gets up to defend himself and a fight starts. After a few seconds the police officer goes across and grabs the first one he gets to, who happens to be the one defending himself, restrains him and then pins him up against the wall. He hadn't identified himself as police at this time so risked getting a punch for his troubles. The man he grabbed protests that he was the one who was attacked and he was j…
-
I've worked in plain clothes before. When I've done it I've been used to drive near scenes of suspected firearms incidents and to report on anything I can see to direct aremed officers: I've also sat up in areas known for drug dealing witha view to disrupt dealers. I've also been asked to wait outside a wanted person's house and to arrest them if I see them coming.... When, though, does legitimate use of a Q car to aide the apprehension of suspects, and in the detection and disruption of crime become surveillance? When I was sitting outside a house where we had just had a 999 call stating that a man was waving a gun out of the window was I performing surveillance and d…
-
My son, aged 12, unfortunately assulted a teacher before the Easter holidays. It was reported to the police and I heard nothing further. Today I was contacted by the local police sattion to the teacher and told that I need to contact the PC dealing with the case. I have tried but recieved no joy. Is it possible to get this dealt with by our local police station rather than the one that contacted me a that is approx 8-10 miles away.
-
- 7 replies
- 1k views
- 2 followers
-
-
whilst reading about the power of a constable to detain someone for contempt of court when ordered by the court. if a constable is not present in the court does one have to be called to the court? or can the court custody staff detain them to the court cells?
-
Now we all know prostitution is not a criminal offence per se, however there are offences around prostitution that can criminalise the act of engaging in sexual intercourse for money. For example; Under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, it is an offence to cause or incite prostitution or control it for personal gain. The 1956 Sexual Offences Act bans running a brothel. What does the law mean by a brothel? If more than one person (the law is gender neutral) is available in a premises for paid sex, then that is a brothel. However, if one person works alone, she is not keeping a brothel. So what effect does this have on pornography? Obviously "amature" or home made p…
-
Happy New Year all! The Olympics are next year!! This continuous insurance enforcement scheme starts very soon. Without going into too much detail, would I be right in saying a person who drives a uninsured car and claims to be allowed by their 3rd party policy to drive other peoples vehicles (and is) is driving without insurance as the vehicle itself has no insurance? What I'm kind of hinting at is that if a vehicle shows no ins on pnc we could seize it? There might be problems with ins companies not updating etc but I think there will be more seizures during out of mib hours and maybe less phone calls to mix? Or have I got it completely wrong?!?!