Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

England & Wales

  1. Diplock
    Started by Diplock,

    Hi all, I've just found out that my son has been driving his car with an expired MOT, it's been expired for about 3 weeks. Initially i was surprised he hasn't been pulled over for it and had his car impounded. After doing a google search i've read that MOT's don't show up on ANPR camera's, is this the case? As i would have thought that they do. I've also read that it doesn't void your insurance, so wouldn't have been impounded but would have been fined. This has surprised me as i thought MOT's were on a database. Either way i've stopped him from driving it and booked it in next week for a MOT. Could somebody tell me why it doesn't show up on an ANPR? Of course i may b…

  2. Truman Burbank
    Started by Truman Burbank,

    I attended a call some time ago where we were called to a property and found inside the property the owner having an argument with 3 squatters The owner had been away for a week and come back to find his front door lock changed. But the back door was open so he was able to enter. The squatters had been living there for about 4 days. Once inside he confronted the squatters and told them to leave (no violence or threat of violence used), then called police. The squatters refused to leave. What does the law say about who has the right to stay in the house? Can someone point me to the correct bit of legislation, thanks!

      • Like
    • 31 replies
    • 2.5k views
  3. Javioli
    Started by Javioli,

    We all should be familiar what a uniformed officer can do, but what about other times? 1) On duty but in plain clothes. I know there's certain traffic offences and a stop & search etc. that need a uniformed officer but what are some common specifics? 2) Off duty. As a constable we still have more powers than public when off duty, but again what are some specifics? I'd like to get to know this subject better than I do. I had an example on Saturday which was one day after my attestation; I stopped to assist an officer who was on his own and was dealing with an issue - I asked if I could offer assistance, showed my warrant card, and did indeed end up assisting.

      • Like
    • 26 replies
    • 3.7k views
  4. ataylor0

    Pot-bellied man screamed at officers 'come on then' 'It is crazy no one got seriously hurt or even killed,' says witness He was sprayed with CS gas but still kept swinging the 2ft blade This is the moment a man lunges at police with a two-foot machete - as more than 30 officers try and detain him. The images shows a pot-bellied man in a distinctive floral shirt viciously swinging the huge blade wildly in the air in Brockley, south London. As he lurches forward, officers resort to fighting him off with a wheelie bin in an attempt to subdue him. SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO A police officer uses a wheelie bin to defend himself when a balding man floral brandishes a machet…

      • Like
    • 5 replies
    • 1.3k views
  5. Vixxer
    Started by Vixxer,

    Is a warrent needed? Or would it be the same as searching a car / van?

    • 12 replies
    • 997 views
  6. ds1989
    Started by ds1989,

    Hey, before I start I know this part isn't intended as a legal advice forum, but any help on what you would do would be appreciated, One of my headlights has gone out on my car, the normal thing to do would be to replace (especially at night) but here's the catch I can't change it because my bonnet won't open (long story) but in-between where I open the bonnet at the front of the vehicle where I put the key, and where the latch is that keeps it shut has snapped, thus what was one piece of the mechanism is now in two, that means I have no way of opening it, I can't even get to it from underneath so at the moment I have to drive around with 1 headlight on, if the police p…

      • Like
    • 89 replies
    • 5.6k views
  7. marralass
    Started by marralass,

    I assume that it is not possible for someone to be convicted of an offence when it was not an offence when they committed it. But, is it possible for someone to be subjected to harsher punishments than would have been in existence than when they committed the offence? Also, where someone was a juvenile at the time of the offence and now many years have elapsed, can they be subjected to punishments they wouldn't have got at the time (ie. prison rather than juvenile detention, being named in the papers etc.)?

    • 10 replies
    • 1.5k views
  8. Guest GodAtum
    Started by Guest GodAtum,

    An unusual question! Can police officers use force to remove someone who does not want to leave custody?

      • Like
    • 13 replies
    • 1.1k views
  9. NewhamSC
    Started by NewhamSC,

    Right, someone has put a picture up of themselves in a car, while they are driving. Is this against the law? and could anything be done about it? you can clearly see there is traffic behind them !

      • Like
    • 44 replies
    • 3.2k views
  10. Duffman
    Started by Duffman,

    Apologies, but this will sound rather vague... If someone changes their FB profile photo to a picture of a baby and then puts a caption underneath: I'll stab you **** and this profile is then available to be seen by a youth organisation to which he belongs, is he commiting any offence (other than being a total prat)? (the **** is a really, really bad swear word) Just after a few thoughts and comments really because what this person has done just seems so inappropriate and stupid to me...

    • 3 replies
    • 708 views
  11. ataylor0
    Started by ataylor0,

    Whats the Laws on changing number plates to make them look like something they aren't? What offences are caused under what act? Im asking of interest and my mates brothers car has a personal plate, his name is Tom and in him number plate he has T8M, With the middle of the '8' tippex'd out to make it look more like an 'O'n not an '8'....

      • Like
    • 12 replies
    • 2.4k views
  12. Four Plus One1546081034
    Started by Four Plus One1546081034,

    If you arrest an individual you must give the caution, and then if you discover another offence arrest and caution again eg Arrested for criminal damage and then during a 32 search discover drugs Do you however need to give the caution +2 repeatedly for every offence you suspect as a situation progresses? Example I stop a lorry and events occur so that I have reasonable grounds for suspecting a driver may be carrying stolen goods, so I caution +2 before I ask any more questions (I don't have enough yet to arrest). The situation progresses and I then have reasonable grounds to suspect the driver may be driving otherwise than in accordance with his licence. Do I need to re…

      • Like
    • 8 replies
    • 1.7k views
    GoneForgotten
  13. Grumpy275
    Started by Grumpy275,

    I see Surrey have given £5000 From funds seized under POCA to, I think it was a Boxing Club. If funds can be used in this way ( I am not complaining ) could not the Procedes of crime funds go towards the shortfall all Forces have following the Governments cutbacks. If this was done I think it might focus attention on large crime, or would this not be to the satisfaction of the Public?

    • 1 reply
    • 994 views
  14. OfficerMcBain
    Started by OfficerMcBain,

    Strange Question : Do you actually have to tell someone that you are reporting them for summons ? For example - You see Billy riding past you on a mini motorbike, not wearing a helmet. You recognise him from previous dealings. You wish to prosecute him for the offence, and you know where Billy lives, but when you visit his house he isn`t in. You make a few attempts, but Billy is clearly avoiding you. Do you actually have to stand in front of him and say the words ?

    • 5 replies
    • 1.2k views
  15. Jaffsdad
    Started by Jaffsdad,

    I know in the past it was illegal to use (i.e. have switched on) white lights below a certain height or below the front bumper except in inclement weather. i.e. poor visibility.. When was this law changed, as there are now many new cars that would be breaking this law? Also the law used to state that any light above this height had to be WHITE. yet now we have blue headlamps.. Or are drivers of all these cars breaking the law. ?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.