Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Police Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

England & Wales

  1. richr
    Started by richr,

    I was watching a re run of one of the interminable police fly-on-the-wall documentaries on t'tele last night (emergency bikers, I think). In it, a driver was pulled for having no insurance or driving licence, etc. The officer then asked the 'did you give consent for your uninsured, unlicenced husband to drive your vehicle' question of the owner, who also happened to be the offender's wife (with a view to going for a permitting offence). Now, apropos of nothing, I'd earlier flicked past the blackstone's section on DV guidelines, which made the point that property bought whilst married is treated as jointly owned. If this is the case (that matrimonial property is joint…

    • 10 replies
    • 1k views
    Police Constable 1 +
  2. Joseph.M
    Started by Joseph.M * ,

    Hello everyone I am new here. I am not a Police Officer, but want to be when I am older. I have found a website that is selling fake passports. I'm not sure if it is legal. I don't want to buy one, but if it is illegal then I will get the police involved. Can someone just double check it as I don't want to report an 'innocent' website. http://www.fakepassportsale.cc/index.shtml

    • 7 replies
    • 1.4k views
  3. IrateShrike
    Started by IrateShrike +,

    If a one way road has a junction with a prohibited right turn, does someone driving the wrong way up the road still commit the offence if they turn left into the junction?

      • Like
    • 27 replies
    • 2.9k views
  4. dc543
    Started by dc543,

    CCTV monitor two males acting suspiciously near a secure fenced premises that they do not lawfully have access to at that time. They also see one of the males enter the premises. Officers arrive and see two males walking towards them, therefore they are stopped / searched. As officers alight from the vehicle, comms operator says... "we believe they are the two males that are being monitored". After officers had stop / searched the males, an Inspector shouts over the air detain them until they arrive. So officers do as ordered and detain the males. Inspector not able to attend due to other circumstances. Officers then get a p2p from the Duty Inspector (Response) saying t…

      • Like
    • 16 replies
    • 10.6k views
  5. Thomo1211546080989
    Started by Thomo1211546080989,

    I had never heard of this idea before, but having had my first experience a few months ago, it's becoming quite a regular occurance. I was dealing with a young man in the town centre for an alcohol related incident, and was explaining to him the S.27 direction to leave I was about to issue him, when he decided to try and tell me that he was choosing not to accept what I was telling him, because the power came from an Act of Parliament rather than common law, and he didn't have to abide by legislation if he didn't want to. Needless to say he found himself in a police cell for failing to comply with a direction to leave, but it would be interesting to find out if anyone el…

      • Like
    • 147 replies
    • 15.2k views
  6. GJB
    Started by GJB,

    As we all know the Road Traffic Act says it's an offence to use a mobile phone while driving. My question is: does this extend to police using airwaves, cab phones in trucks, and non-phone devices like iPods? All similarly as distracting and dangerous as using a mobile phone. A music player (iPod) requires looking down and holding the device, and a phone/airwave with a hands-free kit is distracting due to the conversation. Also, would it be illegal to use a device the same as a phone (holding up to your ear to listen to music etc)? (I ask as I'm trying to figure out how I should enforce it, how it is enforced, and whether I should object if I see someone doing someth…

      • Like
    • 13 replies
    • 1.4k views
  7. Geraintm6
    Started by Geraintm6,

    i recently bought a laser pointer pen from IWOOT.com and i use the pen in school (And of course i mess around with the laser) and some of my friends and teachers that i annoy with it keep saying that they're illegal (IWOOT.com is a VERY trustworthy and official website for gadgets) so this made me confused, anyone care to explain?

    • 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
  8. Specials_Ryder
    Started by Specials_Ryder,

    I am just wondering what the laws are about wearing headphones whilst driving because I know it is not illegal to have a hands free kit in but what about just listening to music. I was speaking to someone who got pulled over by the police on her motorbike because she had headphones in whilst riding. Is there a different law for motorcyclists?

      • Like
    • 19 replies
    • 22.9k views
    Administrative Account
  9. bensonby
    Started by bensonby +,

    If a group of people get together and hatch a plan to commit a crime then the offence of conspiracy has occured (s.1 of the Criminal Justice Act 1977). What, however, if a group of people conspire (whilst in the UK) to commit a crime abroad? Has any offence occured? A few points: - If the crime they were going to commit is murder then there are particular offences under s.4 and s.9 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. - If the crime cannot tried in England and Wales then they can't be charged with conspiracy (s.1(4) of The Criminal Law Act 1977). However, I was wondering if there are any other offences they could be done for - and, indeed, (such as in the speci…

      • Like
    • 5 replies
    • 747 views
  10. BookEm
    Started by BookEm,

    What are your views on the following situation? A car is seized for having no insurance in place at all. For whatever reason the car needs to be driven to the compound. The Constable driving it has no kind of police permit but does hold a full DL. Is there an offence? My view is that it is perfectly legal and the lack of permit is irrelevant. One excemption for an insurance policy is "Any vehicle used for police purposes driven by or under the direction of a constable". I would say that this fits in this case as seizing it and driving it to the compound is a police purpose. I'm aware that force policy may say don't do it but I am specifically wondering about the legalit…

      • Like
    • 27 replies
    • 2.7k views
  11. Smeders
    Started by Smeders,

    Hi, is it law that lightbars/'POLICE' signs have to be covered if a police vehicle (active not de-commed) is being driven by people who are not police officers? If not is it just down to force policy? Thanks!

      • Like
    • 32 replies
    • 3.7k views
  12. Administrative Account
    Started by Administrative Account,

    I understand that you can use a non GB registered vehicles for a period of 12 months. So if that is the case: one - can you seize after that two - why do councils issue parking permits for long periods - saw one the other day for two years

      • Like
    • 74 replies
    • 6.2k views
  13. Duffman
    Started by Duffman,

    As an SC, I find that suddenly, I'm the subject expert for all policing issues and law in the office where I work.... However, I got asked one yesterday that I couldn't really give an answer on and I'm hoping that someone on the forum can give their own 'expert' opinion: If a police officer in the street witnesses a clear assault - for example: one punches another in the face - there is an arrestable offence. Why then are charges not brought by the police against professional football players who have committed the same offence but this time in front of thousands of people if not millions.... Now, there may be odd occasions when charges have indeed been brought but I'…

      • Like
    • 22 replies
    • 2.9k views
  14. Burnsy2023
    Started by Burnsy2023,

    If someone introduces themselves as a Doctor but they have no phd or other qualification do they commit an offence. This isn't for personal financial gain. Aren't these titles protected?

      • Like
    • 28 replies
    • 10.7k views
  15. Lefty
    Started by Lefty,

    Hello everyone, I'm hoping some RPU officers can come along and answer my question cos I'm a little bit confuddled. I understand that if I wish to drive a car with a Provisional Licence then I'm to have L-plates and someone over 21 who has 3 years experience in driving. Do I also need to be insured? Because a friend confused me and said that it may be illegal for me to take driving lessons cos I don't have any insurance. Please advise.

      • Like
    • 6 replies
    • 1.5k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.