Devon & Cornwall Police
227 topics in this forum
-
I have noticed a few questions appearing now that invites have started to go out for the first assessment centre in November. I thought a bit of information might help. From November of this year D&C are moving away from single interviews and to an assessment centre process that will take place at Middlemoor. This will replace the single interview at a local/regional station. An application will be paper sifted as before and successful candidates will then be invited to one of two assessment centres planned to run each year. Successful applicants will then join on one of the four inductions each year, which remain unchanged at this time. Inductions will remain alloc…
-
I have been told by someone that Stephen Otter will be giving an interview on BBC radio Cornwall next Thursday 28th Oct, I cant find any details on it yet but look out for it. I wonder if the chance to phone in with comments will be available, although probably best to do it anonymously. I would like to ask him directly to extend our assessment centre results rather than having to re-aply. This could be the chance we have been waiting for to get answers from him rather than writing a letter with the hope he will read it. Whats your thoughts and what would you ask him if you get the chance? P.s I have emailed radio cornwall asking how I can put my views across without…
-
- 7 replies
- 1.6k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Call me crazy but: I have recently written to my local politician making him aware of the situation I am in, along with the other 111 people waiting to start with D+C. I told him what becoming a Police Officer means to me, how long it has taken me and all the hard work put in to get this far, not to mention the waste of thousands of pounds to put us all throught the recruitment process if they discard us. I asked him to bring all this up in parliament before the spending reviews as the government have the power to work with the NPIA to change the rules regarding assessment centre validity after 2 years. I have also written to the priminister so when he makes the decis…
-
- 38 replies
- 4.2k views
- 2 followers
-
-
Hi all I had a reply from George Eustice, my local MP and this is what it said. Thank you very much for your email and I am sorry to hear about the problems you are now experiencing as a result of the recruitment freeze. I went out with the police in Camborne on patrol last week and saw first-hand the excellent work that they do and one of the PCs mentioned to me then the plight of people like yourself who find themselves caught up in this as a result of the recruitment freeze despite passing all the training. One thing he did say is that, once that freeze is lifted, the police are likely to give priority to those, like yourself, who are ready to go and so I I more th…
-
- 2 replies
- 1.2k views
- 1 follower
-
-
A hypothetical yet potentially plausible scenario after the 20th October Spending Review. If so many officers who already have 30+ years of service under their belts, those who have 25-29 years and those who are permanently on restricted duties are offered deals to good to refuse within one individual force could this necessitate the need for an intake class to partially compensate for such a dramatic loss of personnel in such a relatively short period of time? In theory a single force could lose 25-40 top salary band officers, replace them with 15-20 probationers, and only pay 25%-30% in salaries of what they were paying before. Is this a scenario which could realisti…
-
Good luck to you all when recruitment starts again. It's a difficult job and it seems moral is getting lower by the day, but I would still join again tommorrow for the personal rewards helping people brings. There is not likely to be any recruitment for a while, so me sharing my personal opinions to try and help people is now pointless. Also, I now know that the personal details we give to the site are shared with the force so recruitment know who we are, so I think it's best to go. Keep on smiling and good luck. When you eventually get in, mine's a tea with no sugar...oh, and I'm partial to a slice of cake.
-
-
- 12 replies
- 1.9k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Having read even more stories of people having their applications terminated at the 11th hour on other force sections over the last week or so it seems that those of us on the D&C waiting list are in a relatively 'lucky' position at the moment. Would it be fair to say, Mercutio, Sporticus et al, that if we were going to be binned we would have been informed by now as there has been no official contact from the recruitment department since vetting forms were sent out in April to those of us who were on the March assessment centre and Easter when a general letter was sent to all October 2008 applicants saying that recruitment was slowing down due to fewer retirement, p…
-
- 42 replies
- 5.4k views
- 2 followers
-
-
Hi Been reading the boards for a while now and thought it was about time I posted! I applied to the Devon & Cornwall Police in October 2008; this has been the longest two years of my life. After the initial application was completed in October; here is what has happened to date:- December 2008 - got results back, saying that I had passed the paper sift. Jan 2008 - Received form asking for financial information December 2009 ish - received letter explaining that due to the current economic climate, some applications were being processed More slowly but they did anticipate holding an assessment centre earlier in the new year. March 2010 ish received a letter …
-
- 14 replies
- 1.8k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Happy 40th Birthday Mercutio! :smiley_notworthy: :shhh:
-
Hi all, Just a bit of advice needed really. I applied to Devon and Cornwall for role of PC back in October 2008. I passed the application form but since then have not even had an assessment centre . Recruitment kept saying they don't know when the next one will be held.. Too cut a long story short, I have another application in with another force (result of one not receiving my withdrawal letter) and have been offered an assessment centre with them in September. My prefered choice would be to work in the D&C force, however due to the recent budget cuts who knows when or if I will progress with them! The quandry I find myself in is a)do I go with other force in the ho…
-
- 4 replies
- 1.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
As regular users of this forum will have seen over recent days the MET has terminated a vast number of applications of candidates who have been waiting for anywhere upto 18 months for a start date on their Police Constable waiting list. As the MET has approximately 33,000 warranted Constables and D&C have around 3,500 in total would it be fair to say that D&C are better equipped and more organised in respect to future recruitment due to the scale at which they operate in comparison to the MET? I remember everyone getting the 'dreaded recession effect' letter around Easter time but since then the April intake has taken place and the lucky selected people have bee…
-
- 45 replies
- 4.4k views
- 2 followers
-
-
Just wondering if there are any other peeps out there starting their training on 05th July. I am completely relocating from Kent so will be enjoying the comforts of Middlemoor accomadation, anyone else staying on site ? Have also been told I will stationed at Ilfracombe, did visit the town on recent trip down but would be grateful for any views on working in that area, good or bad. And what area is covered from Ilfracombe station. cheers
-
Hi guys and girls, Hope someone can enlighten me here. I see that the next applications for Special Constables for D&C are in June. Now I was thinking of applying for this but was wondering how essential being in the specials is to helping you get into the regulars (my goal). I know it will probably help but how much of a disadvantage will I be at in an interview to someone who was previously in the specials. Any advice will be greatly welcomed Ta Steve
-
Hi again all Unfortunately my current job have said I'll have to return my work mobile in April, even though I assured them my usual replies to support calls would continue (they would as well, I'm more than happy to take time from my busy schedule to say 'have you tried a reboot?' - was even thinking about putting it on my answer phone). So, I'm looking at a new phone. I've already selected the handset I want (looks pretty decent too, the Samsung B2100, which has a torch and a compass - very exciting) - but am looking at what service provider to use. From what I've heard though, mobile phone signal isn't the best in the westcountry. The question is then, how do peo…
-
- 7 replies
- 5.3k views
- 1 follower
-
-
My god guys, what the hell is going on??? I am new to the site but have been reading all the posts, HOW LONG? I havn't even applied yet, apparently they will be reviewing next year which is when I hope to apply. Dont get me wrong I have a good job for a local council but all the same 2 years is a long time to wait. Ive been happily swotting and writing scenarios etc thinking that I would get ready for the onslaught of the assesment centre only to learn that it could be a year after I have sent in my application (and been accepted of course). Now come on guys, tell me that this isnt so, tell me I wont be waiting all that time and that suddenly the goverment will find …
-
- 14 replies
- 2.2k views
- 1 follower
-