Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9555 topics in this forum
-
http://www.theatlant...kistan/251888/# It's a disgrace that the police get away with this people have the right to a normal life regardless of their sexuality.
-
Symptomatic of the appalling quality of maths education in this country or MPs just being thick? You decide. I suspect a worringly large number of people in the UK wouldn't know the answer to such a simple question. Goes well with this little gem from Monday.
-
http://www.independe...le-8190274.html
-
Respect MP George Galloway is suing the National Union of Students for libel after it labelled him a "rape denier". Campaigners had earlier criticised his remarks on Julian Assange, who denies sexual assault claims. He was quoted as saying the Wikileaks founder was accused of nothing more than "bad sexual etiquette". A spokesman said the NUS comments were "defamatory" and "offensive" and the MP was "absolutely clear that no means no" and "non consensual sex is rape". The action has been prompted by the NUS description of Mr Galloway and its ban on him from speaking at events affiliated to the union. 'Defence fund' A spokesman for Bradford West MP Mr Galloway said: "…
-
Quite how this happened is up for debate... Man freed after getting his head stuck in bin in Aberdeen The man was freed by firefighters Firefighters were called out to rescue a man whose head was stuck in a public litter bin in Aberdeen. It is not yet known how the man got into the predicament, which happened on the city's Justice Street. Emergency services were alerted to the man stuck with his head in the opening of the 4ft-high bin early on Sunday evening. A spokesman for Grampian Fire and Rescue Service said the man was not injured. He was taken to hospital for a check-up. http://www.bbc.co.uk...etland-19783214
-
Britain's biggest professional body for psychotherapists has instructed members that it is unethical for them to attempt to "convert" gay people to being heterosexual, formalising a policy change long demanded by rights groups. The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy has written to its near-30,000 members to inform them of the new guidelines. The letter says the BACP "opposes any psychological treatment such as 'reparative' or 'conversion' therapy which is based upon the assumption that homosexuality is a mental disorder, or based on the premise that the client/patient should change his/her sexuality". The body adds that it recognises World Health Organ…
-
I've decided not to include a link to the video, needless to say it's out there if you want to see the original incident, but I won't post a link here.
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19730387
-
There was an article in the Daily Mail on Monday about a web site where men can post covertly taken photographs of women onto a forum called creepshot. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2207552/Reddit-message-board-r-creepshots-posts-photos-normal-women-taken-unawares.html It is really scary to think that you might end up being photographed whilst out and about and then added to a bulletin board. Is there any offences under Voyeurism - Sexual Offences Act 2003 section 67 ? Personally I think it is very sad that someone would covertly photograph a woman and post it on the net. Just imagine finding your own photo on there or someone you know or love. Can …
-
The video is amazing, never have I seen security that bad, he's getting shot with what looks like a pistol and they just stand and watch!
-
Something I've been wondering for a while: why do we routinely tip when we eat at a restaurant etc? Why is it expected? why is it rude not to tip? It all seems rather illogical. In my mind when you go to a restaurant you are not just paying for the ingredients of the food, you are paying for someone to cook it for you, for someone to bring it to you and for someone to do the washing up. I could eat the same food a lot cheaper at home, but I pay someone else to do all the extra bits: I pay rather more than if I was to eat at home. Therefore, I've already paid for the service. Clearly, if the service I receive or the food I eat is remarkably better than what I would expe…
-
I was in a petrol station at a motorway service station having filled my car and was just paying. There were signs with ANPR all over the place and above the counter was a tv screen showing a live-feed of the forecourt cameras including showing the number plates of all the cars in a list below the video. Suddenly an incredibly loud alarm went off which sounded like a warning buzzer. The screen flashed red and highlighted the camera feed for a particular car. At the same time two staff ran out of the back room to the tills and were looking at the screen. It all felt a bit odd hence I slipped away, got back into my car and just waited a few moments to see what was suppo…
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ingham-19732950
-
My wife is involved in teaching English at a college here in Sweden. The husband of one of the students was arrested for drunk driving just before Christmas, never having been in trouble before and he was well over the very low limit they have here. He was charged and banned from driving instantly for one month and finally appeared in court two days ago. His sentence is to spend a month in a secure unit for "rehabilitation". That is 24-hour lock-up for 30-days with no contact with the outside world, no visitors etc, and just one brief phone call home per week while undergoing intensive and ultra strict "re-education, therapy and counselling". At the end of that month, …
-
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19684708